still dont completely trust this team | Syracusefan.com

still dont completely trust this team

CorduroyG

Hall of Fame
i woudnt be surprised if they go 4-2 down the stretch, but i also wouldnt be surprised if they go 2-4 or even 1-5. the D, especially on the road, still really scares me and if we have an off shooting night it could get ugly again.

weird team (by cuse standards), weird season.

Agree completely, I have no clue what to think about this team down the stretch. I know it would be in their best interest to win tomorrow.

i woudnt be surprised if they go 4-2 down the stretch, but i also wouldnt be surprised if they go 2-4 or even 1-5. the D, especially on the road, still really scares me and if we have an off shooting night it could get ugly again.

JAB We trust!!! #1001. Did you think last years team would go to the Final Four. Boeheim is like fine wine. Where is Mission Man ? He knows the deal.

I feel like they can beat anyone at home. I feel like they can lose to anyone on the road. They still haven't figured out how to replicate the defensive effort on the road.

Let's be honest - they got lucky hitting two miracle shots in the last two road games. Without them, they're 14-11 and a few people are calling for Boeheim's head. Sports are funny.

I understand how you feel. But, this team has seemed to learn how to win. The whole attitude of the team has changed and we have discovered who our players are. I still think that Lydon is the leader of this team and it's best player, but he doesn't need to take tons of shots. Lydon, White, Gillon and Battle are going to play a ton of minutes, but every one of them can be the guy depending on who is hot and who has the most favorable matchup. Then we have Thompson and Roberson, an offense/defense trade, but both productive. Then there is Frank, his attitude seems to have changed and I think he can provide spot minutes. All in all, I think we are seeing the team that most of us expected at the beginning of the season. And while they aren't above a slip up, I don't think they are heading for a slide.

Let's be honest - they got lucky hitting two miracle shots in the last two road games. Without them, they're 14-11 and a few people are calling for Boeheim's head. Sports are funny.
That's why we love college hoops.

The most important thing now seems to be that the players believe in each other and in the system (such as it is).
We've got chemistry.
If they can just get together consistently on D...we may have something going.

Anything can happen. We could go 0-6. Doesn't mean the last 5 games weren't really excited. considering where we were at 11-9, I consider the last 5 games and the craziness they brought, worth whatever happens the rest of the way (yes I want to win them all and make the NcaaT... :) )

I tend to agree with the original poster... and let's be honest... falling behind each game by 8-16 points on not a recipe for success

Wake - overcame 8 point second half deficit
FSU - led the whole way
NCSU - overcame a 16 point second half deficit
UVA - overcame a 12 point halftime deficit
Clemson - overcame a 9 point second half deficit and a 12 point first half deficit

Spotting decent teams a lead and coming back to win is not a sustainable formula. All of the above are good wins but several of these games could have gone either way. Thankfully they went our way. But just because they broke our way in the recent past doesn't mean that they always will going forward.

I understand how you feel. But, this team has seemed to learn how to win. The whole attitude of the team has changed and we have discovered who our players are. I still think that Lydon is the leader of this team and it's best player, but he doesn't need to take tons of shots. Lydon, White, Gillon and Battle are going to play a ton of minutes, but every one of them can be the guy depending on who is hot and who has the most favorable matchup. Then we have Thompson and Roberson, an offense/defense trade, but both productive. Then there is Frank, his attitude seems to have changed and I think he can provide spot minutes. All in all, I think we are seeing the team that most of us expected at the beginning of the season. And while they aren't above a slip up, I don't think they are heading for a slide.
We are playing on a knife's edge though, even more than usual. We absolutely have no fat reserves to fall back on; if there is a famine, we will be the first to starve...

That's why we love college hoops.

The most important thing now seems to be that the players believe in each other and in the system (such as it is).
We've got chemistry.
If they can just get together consistently on D...we may have something going.
No question the chemistry on the team is night and day compared to where it was months ago.

I completely understand the concern and there are obviously legitimate issues this squad still has. That said I do feel like we turned the corner. The team has continued to play with the expectation of winning even when down or on the road of late which was not the case earlier this season. I'm not saying they are going to win the next 6 but I'd be surprised if we did worse than 3-3 at this point. We have defensive issues, even at home, we have rebounding issues and the back of the rotation has not been very productive. That said we have 4 guys who are legit scorers and shooters. We have a 5th guy who can go off for double figures any game as well.

Don't really understand this sentiment? I don't think its fair to expect to win or lose any particular game(s). It's not like we are all of a sudden unbeatable.

Here is what you should expect...we'll be competitive in all six remaining games. If they are anything like the last five, they'll be highly entertaining win, lose or draw. Free yourself from the need to project a particular result. Attend or tune in and just enjoy.

i would take 3-3 right now and wouldnt care how it came.

it would be no surprise to go 1-2 vs Pitt/GT and 0-3 against UL/Duke and that would not me anything more than we didn't beat top 16 teams down the stretch and didnt win on the road which most teams have not done all year.

even 2-4 means we won another road game or we beat a pretty good UL/Duke team anything better than that is gravy with the flaws this team has.

Before I feel more confident, I would like to see us put a licking on someone, like the old Cuse teams used to do.
I will take any and all wins, but I am hoping for that kind of game at Pitt. I know it is unlikely, but I would love to see them get a large lead, so that White, Gillon, Lydon and Battle can get off the floor. They play in a huge game again on Monday, and the more rest the better.

I will take any and all wins, but I am hoping for that kind of game at Pitt. I know it is unlikely, but I would love to see them get a large lead, so that White, Gillon, Lydon and Battle can get off the floor. They play in a huge game again on Monday, and the more rest the better.

Pitt has no PG and they struggled against the zone because of it. As long as we get to there shooters I don't see them being anywhere close to the 80+ points we put up Saturday. We put 77 on them last time and were not playing nearly as well offensively. Artis is also banged up so that may come into play. I'm not sure we crush Pitt but I think it will be a fairly stress free victory.

After watching the Clemson game a second time there were moments when Gillon was gassed on defense. He did not make the shift after a pass and it allowed for an open look and uncontested 3-point shot. I think playing 2-3 zone defense requires so much energy. I think Gillon is just not used to putting out this much effort. As his conditioning improves over the next 5 / 6 weeks our defense will get better. If only Howard was providing better minutes on offense so Gillon could a get some rest. But if that doesn't happen we are left with uncontested 3's in the game.

Anything can happen. We could go 0-6. Doesn't mean the last 5 games weren't really excited. considering where we were at 11-9, I consider the last 5 games and the craziness they brought, worth whatever happens the rest of the way (yes I want to win them all and make the NcaaT... :) )
exactly how I'm feeling, too - almost like everything now is gravy!

Pitt has no PG and they struggled against the zone because of it. As long as we get to there shooters I don't see them being anywhere close to the 80+ points we put up Saturday. We put 77 on them last time and were not playing nearly as well offensively. Artis is also banged up so that may come into play. I'm not sure we crush Pitt but I think it will be a fairly stress free victory.

Problem is; getting out on shooters has been somehow impossible on the road. I have great trepidation about this Pitt game (as I have about all Pitt games). We have this great 5 game roll going and are flying high - Pitt is in the toilet. Exactly what should happen is that we stomp them, but what I expect is a loss. I just know those turds are going to do something to ruin my weekend.

Prior to the Clemson game I posted that I liked our chances against Clemson better than PITT. They will want revenge and have some players and as a number of people posted above - our margin for error is slim. I'm also in the minority in thinking we don't touch Louisville or Duke so IMHO we need the PITT and Ga Tech wins.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FbBarbie

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom