Stone Cold Stephen F Austin | Page 4 | Syracusefan.com

Stone Cold Stephen F Austin

I'll add it's only a down year if you like name brand schools dominating the top 5. There's some teams out there that look to be scary. Louisville, Auburn and Ohio State look really good right now.

I'm real interested to see how Dayton plays against Kansas in the Maui championship tonight. They've been obliterating teams, including a 27 point win over VaTech, who had just knocked of MSU the night before. Obi Toppin is a beast. Averaging 24 and 8 on 72%(!!!) from the field and 53% from three.

Coach K = Fake Legend

I think that K folded when Cal started roping in all the top kids to try and keep up. It has only worked once for him like it did once for Cal. Prior to that Duke of course got top guys but had more consistency too with more 2-3 year guys than 1 year wonders.

The coach who has figured it out and I would be emulating is ole Roy not K. Roy has UNC humming as a program not just a roster of top guys.

One thing I will say about K and Cal is that despite the lack of titles, the constant influx of new guys keeps the brand strong and the fans always plugged in to see who this year's phenom is. If anything they have grown even stronger as a brand because of this along with the connection to the guys who used their programs as a pit stop to the NBA. Titles have come second to the brand putting guys in the league.

Coach K = Fake Legend
K is a rat and he likely cheats just as much as Calipari. However outside of Duke hate his tenure as USA Basketball coach 3 Olympic Golds and 2 FIBA championships has cemented his status. He somehow got the NBA talent to play for him without issues.

I do think he gets protected by the media who coverup for his poor sport status when he loses. The media kill Belichick because he is surly and gives them nothing. K gives the media scraps that they never criticize him.

Lots of talk about Boeheim losing it in his later years but K is worse. Continually has the best talent in the game and hasn’t done anything with it in a long time.

Jack White is horrible. If I am a Duke fan I am asking every day how this kid is getting minutes over others.

At the same time how does Alex O'Connell not get consistent minutes? He's their best shooter and always seems to kill us. They need to put someone next to Jones who can shoot because he certainly can't. I wonder if he wishes he came here because if he's not getting minutes this year he probably never will.

I dislike Duke as much as the next guy but this is just nuts.

Overrated Legend Then.

Still a legend, but overrated especially in terms of character, and in recent results.
The 80s and 90s cemented him as a great.

Lots of talk about Boeheim losing it in his later years but K is worse. Continually has the best talent in the game and hasn’t done anything with it in a long time.
Boeheim knows how to coach defense.
K doesn’t coach defense he relies on his talent to outscore the opponent.
When the opponent plays good defense and his talent struggles they don’t win 6 games in March.

If you gave JB the talent K has had the last 5 years he wins another NC IMO because JB would have gotten these NBA talented guys to play his zone and let them do their ISO thing on offense.

JB’s offense would work if he had Brandon Ingram,JaysonTatum, Marvin Bagley, Wendall Clark, Zion Williamson, RJ Barrett the offense works.

At the same time how does Alex O'Connell not get consistent minutes? He's their best shooter and always seems to kill us. They need to put someone next to Jones who can shoot because he certainly can't. I wonder if he wishes he came here because if he's not getting minutes this year he probably never will.
Totally agree. Especially against a smaller team. They should have played him with Stanley and Jones for 3 guards. Moore did not play well and I would have sat him.

Boeheim knows how to coach defense.
K doesn’t coach defense he relies on his talent to outscore the opponent.
When the opponent plays good defense and his talent struggles they don’t win 6 games in March.

If you gave JB the talent K has had the last 5 years he wins another NC IMO because JB would have gotten these NBA talented guys to play his zone and let them do their ISO thing on offense.

JB’s offense would work if he had Brandon Ingram,JaysonTatum, Marvin Bagley, Wendall Clark, Zion Williamson, RJ Barrett the offense works.
Boeheim’s greatest strength in my opinion is as a tactician and making in game adjustments and seeing things on the court in real time very quickly. K is terrible at making in game adjustments and I think is the reason he has lost multiple times over the last decade.

Overrated Legend Then.

Still a legend, but overrated especially in terms of character, and in recent results.
The 80s and 90s cemented him as a great.

He has 2 straight Elite 8's and just won the title in 2015. He won 2 titles in the 10's. That's pretty solid.

He has 2 straight Elite 8's and just won the title in 2015. He won 2 titles in the 10's. That's pretty solid.
Yep, solid for sure. But if you factor it based on roster talent, one could easily (and successfully) argue that he has underachieved over the past 10 years.

Coach K had two of the top three picks and a third lottery pick last season and should have lost in the Second around, Sweet 16, and the Elite Eight. Zion might be the best college basketball player I’ve ever seen and it took a handful of lucky breaks for Duke to make it as far as they did. It was a terrible coaching job

I'm real interested to see how Dayton plays against Kansas in the Maui championship tonight. They've been obliterating teams, including a 27 point win over VaTech, who had just knocked of MSU the night before. Obi Toppin is a beast. Averaging 24 and 8 on 72%(!!!) from the field and 53% from three.

I wonder if Frankie Policelli transferred out of Dayton in large part because he was going to be stuck behind Obi.

There is a condensed youtube video. Duke played well. Just Stephen F Austin did better. I don't think SU can beat Stephen F Austin.

Boeheim’s greatest strength in my opinion is as a tactician and making in game adjustments and seeing things on the court in real time very quickly. K is terrible at making in game adjustments and I think is the reason he has lost multiple times over the last decade.

But Duke, Kansas and Kentucky always start with the best players. After the three picked, others can pick. And don't forget Arizona could hijack before the pick using cheats and bribes.

There is a condensed youtube video. Duke played well. Just Stephen F Austin did better. I don't think SU can beat Stephen F Austin.

We would be 20 point favorites. They lost to Rutgers. Rutgers best win is against NJIT and they lost to the bonnies who are not good this year. Sometimes teams play well one game. Media god Tre Jones was not good last night. He had 8 turnovers and Duke has weaknesses. They cannot shoot. Another thing. People like to rag on JB about not going to man against inferior teams, but SFA cannot shoot. K should have played zone. If he did they probably win by 20.

Coach K had two of the top three picks and a third lottery pick last season and should have lost in the Second around, Sweet 16, and the Elite Eight. Zion might be the best college basketball player I’ve ever seen and it took a handful of lucky breaks for Duke to make it as far as they did. It was a terrible coaching job
I've stated this before but a Tre/Zion or RJ/Zion pick and roll should've been straight up abused.

Well? they shot well, that was about it. 20 turnovers!, and poor free throw shooting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cusethunder

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom