Stripped Ohio: Ohio State band director loses job amid inquiry | Syracusefan.com

Stripped Ohio: Ohio State band director loses job amid inquiry

These things have been going on at OSU (and many other schools) for years if not decades. He just happened to be the guy in charge when the music stopped and he was left standing. Obviously he could have stopped it and didn't and he has been part of the band for 25 years. Worse things happen in college than having to play your instrument and march around in your underwear. Sounds pretty tame to me. That said, the misnomer of "Best Damn Band in the Land" is only true if by "land" they mean "on the Ohio State campus." They are not even the best college marching band in Ohio. That would of course be "The Most Exciting Band in the Land" the Ohio University Marching 110!

Can you believe this guy started as a Sousaphone player. Does Tomcat know that? How disappointing is that.

John_Philip_Sousa_cabinet_card,_c1880s.jpg

This is a sad day for the sousaphone. Worst one since John Philip Sousa died on March 6, 1932, a day that will live in infamy...

These things have been going on at OSU (and many other schools) for years if not decades. He just happened to be the guy in charge when the music stopped and he was left standing. Obviously he could have stopped it and didn't and he has been part of the band for 25 years. Worse things happen in college than having to play your instrument and march around in your underwear. Sounds pretty tame to me. That said, the misnomer of "Best Damn Band in the Land" is only true if by "land" they mean "on the Ohio State campus." They are not even the best college marching band in Ohio. That would of course be "The Most Exciting Band in the Land" the Ohio University Marching 110!

Yeah, I was thinking that this is pretty mild compared to what goes on voluntarily at almost any college organization. It would be different if they were compelled to march nude, but marching in "underwear" which can include shorts and/or pajamas, doesn't seem all that threatening.

But then thinking about it, sure a freshman girl can be wearing shorts and a tank top out of modesty...but if the senior guy next to her is marching totally naked with a hard on...that's an inappropriate position to put someone in, especially if there's pressure to drink as well.

Seems like a little enlightened "tweaking" of this tradition would have probably made it ok, putting in some minimum clothing requirements and broadly defining "underwear". Sure, it would have "ruined" it in the eyes of 90% of the members. But that's the good thing about making these changes in a college setting...people complain but after three or four years, nobody is left that remembers how it was...it can be done.

This is a sad day for the sousaphone. Worst one since John Philip Sousa died on March 6, 1932, a day that will live in infamy...
Stars and Stripes Forever!

cliftonparksufan beat me to it. You were the first person I thought of when I heard this story. A sad day for the sousaphone, indeed.

That sucks the Ohio State marching band did a great job 2 years ago with my favorite halftime performance from a band.

1991 Hall of Fame Bowl. SU vs. tOSU.

Had a "Battle of the Bands" on Clearwater Beach. They kicked our ass.

But...

We won the pie eating contest.

And we drank them under the table.

So, SU won.

As always.