Student Attendance Question | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Student Attendance Question

i dont think free brings in more kids. if the team was better that would bring in more kids. they show up when we are decent and the opp is good so clearly price of tickets is not the issue. free also means that kids who are supporting the team all the time get no benefit over the ones who only show up when they feel the whim. i dont have a problem with free but there needs to also be a reward for coming to more games which is the bigger issue.. we have a good student section when teams like clemson comes in. if we are good we will be ok when FSU comes in.. if anything they perhaps they change the model to free for some teams and pay for others?

kids pay for Cornell hockey and come and fill the student section.. other sports are free and draw didly.

They've done free tickets before. It doesn't work. These kids are mostly bandwagoners and we're still shaking off the GRob years. Once the team is consistently good and the negativity is out of the program the attendance will be better. Plain and simple. Most kids parents' pay for the tickets anyways.

What do they want 14-0? I think we are respectable enough for students to start showing up!!!!!

What do they want 14-0? I think we are respectable enough for students to start showing up!!!!!
as someone who sat through 4-8 years as a freshman and sophomore, and a bland bland offense for the other two years, I can understand why a kid who saw any of those teams would be skeptical. Especially when you're around town and people say "the football team sucks". It's going to take time.

If you "force" 15,000 students to buy season tickets, you'll have to set aside 15,000 seats for them each game.

Which means you'll have 12,000 no-shows. And SU can't resell those tickets to adults.
People clearly haven't listened to Julie Herrmann. ;)

I'm not sure that student attendance cracks my top 50 things that cause me concern about SU football. The tix aren't expensive and most kid's parents are going to pay for them anyway.

And honestly, as an alum the *last* freaking thing I want to see is yet another BS thing increasing the cost of tuition.

I'm not sure that student attendance cracks my top 50 things that cause me concern about SU football. The tix aren't expensive and most kid's parents are going to pay for them anyway.

And honestly, as an alum the *last* freaking thing I want to see is yet another BS thing increasing the cost of tuition.
As an international alum I also agree with you

as someone who sat through 4-8 years as a freshman and sophomore, and a bland bland offense for the other two years, I can understand why a kid who saw any of those teams would be skeptical. Especially when you're around town and people say "the football team sucks". It's going to take time.
Well the football team certainly does not suck anymore!

Anyone who still thinks that does not follow the team closely at all

bnoro said:
I guarantee you last year when we started 0-2 the locals said "same old syracuse"

Why just the locals?

Why just the locals?
I'm not stereotyping, bees. Just saying I remember going to the mall and other places after a bad FB start and hearing "same old syracuse".

Stop being such a townie... :D

Stern said:
Exactly what they said!

And the out of towners weren't even talking about SU. Didn't show up either.

I guarantee you last year when we started 0-2 the locals said "same old syracuse"
Well like What.

Support your local team. I drive 4 and a half hours to do so why can't they drive 10.

Frustrating sometimes this town isn't it? What do we have to freakin do to get this town on board?

CanadianSU said:
Well like What. Support your local team. I drive 4 and a half hours to do so why can't they drive 10. Frustrating sometimes this town isn't it? What do we have to freakin do to get this town on board?

The locals are the only ones that support the team. Out of towners are few and far between.

The locals are the only ones that support the team. Out of towners are few and far between.
Yes, but people are not flying in to watch South Carolina either (i lived there so that came to mind). Normally, locals are the only ones who support college teams with a few exceptions.

So why can't out attendance improve? I would love to see the dome return to its glory!!!!!!!!!!

All I will say is this -- Student attendance is something every single school questions. You may sit back and think "Man Alabama football is so lucky their student section is electric (same with Clemson, FSU, LSU, etc)" But do you know on the other side of that those schools play basketball as well and they struggle to find ways to get kids to come to those games. We have looked at plenty of options and we are always always always looking to improve upon our Football attendance. Our job is to increase attendance "Dome-wide" the student section can be improved as can other areas. There's a lot of things correct with all your arguments. As always, I appreciate the passion and suggestions

DRBartle said:
All I will say is this -- Student attendance is something every single school questions. You may sit back and think "Man Alabama football is so lucky their student section is electric (same with Clemson, FSU, LSU, etc)" But do you know on the other side of that those schools play basketball as well and they struggle to find ways to get kids to come to those games. We have looked at plenty of options and we are always always always looking to improve upon our Football attendance. Our job is to increase attendance "Dome-wide" the student section can be improved as can other areas. There's a lot of things correct with all your arguments. As always, I appreciate the passion and suggestions
Actually even Nick Saban got frustrated last year with the Bama students. http://m.espn.go.com/ncf/story?storyId=9880250&src=desktop

Although I do not go to Syracuse, I have been up there a lot and the bars get packed during SU games. Which sounds like the best option if your a student and your going to watch the game?

Go to the bar for free and drink for 30$ (probably more) and watch the game. Total- 30$

Go to the dome for free and drink for roughly the same price as the bar, while watching the game and living in the experience. Total- 30$

Go to the dome for 20 dollars (per ticket), drink for 30$ and watch the game. Total- 50 dollars

Buy season tickets for 100 dollars, drink 30$ and watch the game. Total per game roughly 47$ ($16.66 per game)

If it was the same price, attendance would assuredly increase. College kids like to drink and have a good time. The game experience > bar experience. If they are the same price, kids will assuredly pick the game, where they can also drink.

The Wifi at the Dome is not good enough for them to put pictures of themselves on Instagram and tweet their meaningless thoughts throughout the game though, so they won't come.

They've done free tickets before. It doesn't work. These kids are mostly bandwagoners and we're still shaking off the GRob years. Once the team is consistently good and the negativity is out of the program the attendance will be better. Plain and simple. Most kids parents' pay for the tickets anyways.

Incoming freshmen were in 7th grade the last time GRob was here though. It would seem the perception of the program to kids that age should be pretty decent by this point.

OrangeDW said:
Incoming freshmen were in 7th grade the last time GRob was here though. It would seem the perception of the program to kids that age should be pretty decent by this point.

He recently graduated so his memory doesn't go back very far. Student attendance was an issue far before Grob came along. People just use that as a lazy reason for everything.

If I was a student I would be at every game, and I would do everything I could to get more kids out. The problem is that we need a group of kids to get together and make it happen. I feel like a lot of the students don't go because there are no students going. College kids will do anything that involves socializing with their peers, but its kinda like "well if no one else is going, why should I?". Need to herd them in like sheep. This is my theory anyway. Unfortunately I never had the pleasure of attending Cuse, and I live in VA with limited funds or I would be at every game. As it stands I will only be going to Wake Forest this year, and make it a point to attend atleast one game a year. Although, last year was a good year, and my family and I went to 3 games. Only Clemson at home.

He recently graduated so his memory doesn't go back very far. Student attendance was an issue far before Grob came along. People just use that as a lazy reason for everything.

It's funny this topic is being brought up. My wife's a teacher, she runs a summer program. Syracuse has a work program that puts an education student in her classroom ever summer, giving the student both credit hours and pay.

To get to the point, there's an S.U. Junior in her room this summer. I started talking to them about how they're liking their time on the Hill. My wife mentions how big of a fan I am of the football program. The student says, jeez, that's gotta be tough, I hope they get better for you soon.

I was honestly dumbfounded. The student then received a 15 minute dissertation on where the team's been, is and going. Hopefully I enlightened one person and it makes it's way to another's ears who gets out of their dorm for a couple hours on a weekend.

Point is, perception is reality. For the common fan who's not following to a T, perception is still lacking. Obviously only in a very small sample size, but, the point remains.

Then move half of the student section up to the 300 level and I guarantee you will sell out those prime LOWER BOWL seats that is currently the student section now. That one simple move accomplishes alot on many fronts

-Sell more 100 level tickets to the general public (which equals more revenue at the end of the day)
-Creates a better dome atmosphere when those seats are filled consistently for every home game and just looks better on TV when SU football is being showcased to the world.

After halftime when some or most of the Student section just leaves (that's if they even showed up to begin with) and you got half the band in a corner of the 300 level, when something happens on that side of the field and someone scores it looks like the Dome is dead. You got a whole corner to the endzone (band section to student section area) that is damn near empty with just a few tuba and trombone players sitting there. It's a horrible image on TV being presented to the world. If I'm a recruit thinking about going to SU and I tune into the game late (like say after halftime) and something happens and you see an empty endzone and side of the field...it's like do they even care about football up there in Syracuse? Why would I go there? Those seats gotta be filled at all times. Sell the tickets to the general public and move half the student section and tell the damn band to stay in their seats and stop the nonsense of moving them around after halftime.

OK off my soap-box!

Then move half of the student section up to the 300 level and I guarantee you will sell out those prime LOWER BOWL seats that is currently the student section now. That one simple move accomplishes alot on many fronts

-Sell more 100 level tickets to the general public (which equals more revenue at the end of the day)
-Creates a better dome atmosphere when those seats are filled consistently for every home game and just looks better on TV when SU football is being showcased to the world.

After halftime when some or most of the Student section just leaves (that's if they even showed up to begin with) and you got half the band in a corner of the 300 level, when something happens on that side of the field and someone scores it looks like the Dome is dead. You got a whole corner to the endzone (band section to student section area) that is damn near empty with just a few tuba and trombone players sitting there. It's a horrible image on TV being presented to the world. If I'm a recruit thinking about going to SU and I tune into the game late (like say after halftime) and something happens and you see an empty endzone and side of the field...it's like do they even care about football up there in Syracuse? Why would I go there? Those seats gotta be filled at all times. Sell the tickets to the general public and move half the student section and tell the damn band to stay in their seats and stop the nonsense of moving them around after halftime.

OK off my soap-box!

Why would that corner fill up while the other three haven't?

And every school's band clears out, watch more games and you will see.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseGuy44

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom