Student Attendance Question | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Student Attendance Question

This isn't so difficult to understand...

Most kids come to SU without having been fans of the football program. If they are sports fans at all then they are fans first of the Giants, Jets, Pats, Eagles, etc. These aren't Ohio kids who were raised to be fans of Ohio State, that dynamic doesn't exist in the northeast (save for the psychos in central PA).

They are also kids who have chosen to attend a liberal, private, northeastern university. The selection bias is such that many of these kids are not wired to just blindly root for dear ol' state U, as many more are who go to the state schools of the south, for example.

So you have kids who have no history with the program, aren't predisposed to have a ton of inherent school spirit.. and the team is mediocre. Yeah, we're tons better than the worst era we had in the past 4 decades, but we still haven't so much as sniffed the top 25 in 13 years. Think about that, we haven't been ranked since many of these kids were in 1st grade!

As with everything else attendance, just win more and more of these kids will put down their iPhones and Xboxes and show up.

All I will say is this -- Student attendance is something every single school questions. You may sit back and think "Man Alabama football is so lucky their student section is electric (same with Clemson, FSU, LSU, etc)" But do you know on the other side of that those schools play basketball as well and they struggle to find ways to get kids to come to those games. We have looked at plenty of options and we are always always always looking to improve upon our Football attendance. Our job is to increase attendance "Dome-wide" the student section can be improved as can other areas. There's a lot of things correct with all your arguments. As always, I appreciate the passion and suggestions

Have you thought about reaching out to the social chairs for fraternities and sororities? Several times I've been up for games I have seen day time events that they are having right in the middle of a day game. When I was there 20 years ago (ugh) we would sometimes have a before game event with a sorority and then all go over together. It encouraged me to attend more games than I would have otherwise. Maybe you can encourage them to do those kinds of things and offer some kind of discount to them and other organizations if their event promotes better student attendance.

Have you thought about reaching out to the social chairs for fraternities and sororities? Several times I've been up for games I have seen day time events that they are having right in the middle of a day game. When I was there 20 years ago (ugh) we would sometimes have a before game event with a sorority and then all go over together. It encouraged me to attend more games than I would have otherwise. Maybe you can encourage them to do those kinds of things and offer some kind of discount to them and other organizations if their event promotes better student attendance.

Great thought!

When basketball had a student attendance problem, JB went and visited students in the dorms. Shafer's personality would translate well to doing that.

And why not have some kind of a competition to see the dorm or dorm floor that can generate the highest percentage of attendance?

This isn't so difficult to understand...

Most kids come to SU without having been fans of the football program. If they are sports fans at all then they are fans first of the Giants, Jets, Pats, Eagles, etc. These aren't Ohio kids who were raised to be fans of Ohio State, that dynamic doesn't exist in the northeast (save for the psychos in central PA).

They are also kids who have chosen to attend a liberal, private, northeastern university. The selection bias is such that many of these kids are not wired to just blindly root for dear ol' state U, as many more are who go to the state schools of the south, for example.

So you have kids who have no history with the program, aren't predisposed to have a ton of inherent school spirit.. and the team is mediocre. Yeah, we're tons better than the worst era we had in the past 4 decades, but we still haven't so much as sniffed the top 25 in 13 years. Think about that, we haven't been ranked since many of these kids were in 1st grade!

As with everything else attendance, just win more and more of these kids will put down their iPhones and Xboxes and show up.

Bingo!

The student population at SU is not conducive to high football turnout. The fact that the team is really only slightly above average is the final nail.

Hell, the only reason they get a turnout for basketball is because it is considered a social event for many. Sit in the student section for a basketball game and you'll realize in between conversations about parties and random selfies that most of the students really don't care whether SU wins or loses.

Going to a football game is almost seen as lame to SU students. So the same frat bros and sorority girls that go to the bball games wouldn't be caught dead at the football games.

Going to a football game is almost seen as lame to SU students. So the same frat bros and sorority girls that go to the bball games wouldn't be caught dead at the football games.

That wasn't the case when I was there, and there is no reason why it can't be the case again. Especially with the move to the ACC and the continued resurgence of the program.

When basketball had a student attendance problem, JB went and visited students in the dorms. Shafer's personality would translate well to doing that.

True.

Of course JB also went out and put five straight years of top 10 teams on the floor too.

That helped.

:)

Scooch said:
True. Of course JB also went out and put five straight years of top 10 teams on the floor too. That helped. :)

Have to start somewhere.

Why would that corner fill up while the other three haven't?

And every school's band clears out, watch more games and you will see.
I watch a lot of games, a ton of games, I never see half the band clear out after halftime. Not to the point it does at SU. What is the damn purpose of moving the band after halftime anyway? I never understood. Looks bad on TV and just annoys the people in the area of the dome where they go to.

If you moved a large chunk of the student section and opened those seats up to the general public, right by the tunnel and the SU bench...those tickets would sell out within a day! No question about it. 100 level near the tunnel and SU bench...are you kidding me!

I watch a lot of games, a ton of games, I never see half the band clear out after halftime. Not to the point it does at SU. What is the damn purpose of moving the band after halftime anyway? I never understood. Looks bad on TV and just annoys the people in the area of the dome where they go to.

If you moved a large chunk of the student section and opened those seats up to the general public, right by the tunnel and the SU bench...those tickets would sell out within a day! No question about it. 100 level near the tunnel and SU bench...are you kidding me!

Nothing sells out at SU.

Nothing.

Give the students 2 options. 1) Free tickets for individual games- however they are limited and first come first serve. 2) Discounted season tickets. The die hard fans will take the season ticket package at a discounted rate. Everyone else can wait in line a couple days before a game for free tix. I've seen it in action and it works really well.

Nothing sells out at SU.

Nothing.
Maybe it won't sell out (I think that section would) but it would be better than what it is currently! At least try to improve things :rolleyes:

I'm thinking of a Shafer wake up call.

Clev04 said:
Although I do not go to Syracuse, I have been up there a lot and the bars get packed during SU games. Which sounds like the best option if your a student and your going to watch the game?

Go to the bar for free and drink for 30$ (probably more) and watch the game. Total- 30$

Go to the dome for free and drink for roughly the same price as the bar, while watching the game and living in the experience. Total- 30$

Go to the dome for 20 dollars (per ticket), drink for 30$ and watch the game. Total- 50 dollars

Buy season tickets for 100 dollars, drink 30$ and watch the game. Total per game roughly 47$ ($16.66 per game)

If it was the same price, attendance would assuredly increase. College kids like to drink and have a good time. The game experience > bar experience. If they are the same price, kids will assuredly pick the game, where they can also drink.

Or buy season tickets and a flask equals out to 20$ per game! At least that's how we did math when I was at SU.

Well like What.

Support your local team. I drive 4 and a half hours to do so why can't they drive 10.

Frustrating sometimes this town isn't it? What do we have to freakin do to get this town on board?

I agree. I drive 4 and a half hours from Philadelphia and stay in a hotel because game start times aren't released until almost the day before the game.

Or buy season tickets and a flask equals out to 20$ per game! At least that's how we did math when I was at SU.

Well on that note, Free tickets with flask averages out to a whopping 3$ a game:E

Clev04 said:
Well on that note, Free tickets with flask averages out to a whopping 3$ a game:E

Now were cooking with gas!

SUfanNC said:
I'm thinking of a Shafer wake up call.

I Like it shafer wake up call sounds awesome.

My thoughts for a wake up call. Shafer comes through a couple floors a week on game day and if you already have your SU gear on and ticket in hand ready to go you get a reserved front row seat in the student section and guaranteed to be on the tv broadcast with 3 friends from your floor. Makes everyone be ready just in case shafer hits your floor. Maybe draw from the winners and one person who wins could be the 12th man of the game and all the winners get to run out of the tunnel with the team but the 12th man Gets an SU Jersey with a 12 on it then they join their 3 friends in the student section.

Another thought.
I always see band members carrying instruments in from home/dorm pregame to meet before their quad performance. Id like to see the band start out in groups of 3-4 based on where they live and play their way into campus through the neibs and dorms meeting up with other band members along the way growing into bigger and bigger groups till they hit the quad. It would be an awesome tradition and since the band members live all over campus it would pied piper everyone into gameday mode getting everyone mobilized and improving attendance.

Id agree with some of the above to encourage the band to stick together in their section instead of splitting up, when they are together they are louder more coordinated and more roudy. But it is kind of one of their traditions so whatever works if they are attached to it. Feel free to amplify them more during the game, pregame and at halftime.

And another:

Make the student section a party during timeouts and quarter breaks give their dj his own lights and speakers that play locally down there so they can party during the commercials. Dance contests with prizes etc. Shoot the tshirt cannons into the student section as much as possible each game mostly at the beginning of the game and during the 4th quarter to keep them there from beginning to end, they're paying enough to go to SU and for season tickets giving them stuff to keep them moving and into the game/atmosphere is a small cost. Put orange fog machines behind the entire student section on both sides of the tunnel for when the team takes the field so they make sure to show up early and for the 4th quarter break so they stick around for it, and go nuts for both. At the 4th quarter break we should hold up 4 on both hands for 44 and maybe cross them at the wrist so that we are unique instead of the same old 4 everyone does at the 4th quarter. After the 4th quarter break talk about the 12th man of the game up on the jumbotron with a replay of him/her running on the field how he got the opportunty "you could be next" and make sure that the pa annoncer thanks the students for coming bringing all their friends and being loud from the begining of the game straight through to singing the alma mater at the top of your lungs after the game is over (hint hint).

I Like it shafer wake up call sounds awesome.

My thoughts for a wake up call. Shafer comes through a couple floors a week on game day and if you already have your SU gear on and ticket in hand ready to go you get a reserved front row seat in the student section and guaranteed to be on the tv broadcast with 3 friends from your floor. Makes everyone be ready just in case shafer hits your floor. Maybe draw from the winners and one person who wins could be the 12th man of the game and all the winners get to run out of the tunnel with the team but the 12th man Gets an SU Jersey with a 12 on it then they join their 3 friends in the student section.

Another thought.
I always see band members carrying instruments in from home/dorm pregame to meet before their quad performance. Id like to see the band start out in groups of 3-4 based on where they live and play their way into campus through the neibs and dorms meeting up with other band members along the way growing into bigger and bigger groups till they hit the quad. It would be an awesome tradition and since the band members live all over campus it would pied piper everyone into gameday mode getting everyone mobilized and improving attendance.

Id agree with some of the above to encourage the band to stick together in their section instead of splitting up, when they are together they are louder more coordinated and more roudy. But it is kind of one of their traditions so whatever works if they are attached to it. Feel free to amplify them more during the game, pregame and at halftime.

And another:

Make the student section a party during timeouts and quarter breaks give their dj his own lights and speakers that play locally down there so they can party during the commercials. Dance contests with prizes etc. Shoot the tshirt cannons into the student section as much as possible each game mostly at the beginning of the game and during the 4th quarter to keep them there from beginning to end, they're paying enough to go to SU and for season tickets giving them stuff to keep them moving and into the game/atmosphere is a small cost. Put orange fog machines behind the entire student section on both sides of the tunnel for when the team takes the field so they make sure to show up early and for the 4th quarter break so they stick around for it, and go nuts for both. At the 4th quarter break we should hold up 4 on both hands for 44 and maybe cross them at the wrist so that we are unique instead of the same old 4 everyone does at the 4th quarter. After the 4th quarter break talk about the 12th man of the game up on the jumbotron with a replay of him/her running on the field how he got the opportunty "you could be next" and make sure that the pa annoncer thanks the students for coming bringing all their friends and being loud from the begining of the game straight through to singing the alma mater at the top of your lungs after the game is over (hint hint).
Decent ideas but most of the kids still won't care. You're not giving them a real reason to come to the game, they'd rather be drinking with their frat brothers or friends with their own music playing.

The only thing that would get the students out is playing exciting football and winning.

Give the students 2 options. 1) Free tickets for individual games- however they are limited and first come first serve. 2) Discounted season tickets. The die hard fans will take the season ticket package at a discounted rate. Everyone else can wait in line a couple days before a game for free tix. I've seen it in action and it works really well.
Combine this with Stern's idea to split the student section between the upper and lower decks:
1) Free tix for all, but availability in the lower section is limited;
2) For an additional fee, you can reserve season tix in the lower section.

Set the size of the lower section approximately double the amount of season vouchers sold, or so. It would still likely fill up or at least look full enough. Sell the rest to the general public.

Also, get a cameraman focusing on the Dome hotties. Feature the best talent on the scoreboard as much as possible during breaks and encourage additional airing (and maybe a lecherous comment or two from the announcing teams) on the main broadcast. Ideally, we'd develop some "crowd celebrities" similiar to the Florida State cowgirls from a while back. Those girls are all gone now, but the immitators continue to show up at their games and on TV. Get the girls dressing for success with an opportunity for brief moments of fame immortalized on instagram (selfies with their image also on the scoreboard behind them, etc.) and more will attend. And of course, the dudes will follow.

BlazeOrange said:
Also, get a cameraman focusing on the Dome hotties. Feature the best talent on the scoreboard as much as possible during breaks and encourage additional airing (and maybe a lecherous comment or two from the announcing teams) on the main broadcast. Ideally, we'd develop some "crowd celebrities" similiar to the Florida State cowgirls from a while back. Those girls are all gone now, but the immitators continue to show up at their games and on TV. Get the girls dressing for success with an opportunity for brief moments of fame immortalized on instagram (selfies with their image also on the scoreboard behind them, etc.) and more will attend. And of course, the dudes will follow.

Sadly this is likely a genus idea.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bspencer309

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom