Women's Lacrosse - SU 10 vs Boston College 16: Sun May 30, 12:00 PM [NCAAT Championship] | Page 5 | Syracusefan.com

Women's Lacrosse SU 10 vs Boston College 16: Sun May 30, 12:00 PM [NCAAT Championship]

Never fails the old girls club of Refs can’t let the players decide the game on the field instead they have to make sure they decide who wins

Gait once again out-coached by two former players Acacia Walker and Kayla Treanor lol. I'm proud of this team for even getting to the national championship game because I didn't think they would be able to recover after Carney went out-- but of course they fumble when it counts the most. They couldn't even make this an interesting one. Foul after foul after yellow card after green card after ground ball loss, after turnover, etc. It's almost like they had no game plan for North. Really baffling to me. They just let her do whatever she wanted SMH.

Congrats to Kayla, finally winning her first NC as a coach. SHE is the pulse of that BC team. Without Treanor, BC would have never made it to 4 consecutive title games and they most certainly wouldn't have won today. Cant say enough good things about her.

Hopefully the Orange can learn from this game and correct their errors so they can make another run again next year...

I dont know enough about the game's rules to know if the refs were the problem, but that wasnt my perception. SU looked two steps slow on ground balls (including draws), got no bail outs from the goaltender, and were imprecise when they finally did wrest control of the ball. (Was like watching the men play). Also, the players had a remarkably hard time just keeping their feet - slipping and tripping all over the field.

Overall, a great season though and they should be well-positioned in 2022.

Great season. BC's 4th time there and they wanted it more. Still a great accomplishment.

Gait once again out-coached by two former players Acacia Walker and Kayla Treanor lol. I'm proud of this team for even getting to the national championship game because I didn't think they would be able to recover after Carney went out-- but of course they fumble when it counts the most. They couldn't even make this an interesting one. Foul after foul after yellow card after green card after ground ball loss, after turnover, etc. It's almost like they had no game plan for North. Really baffling to me. They just let her do whatever she wanted SMH.

Congrats to Kayla, finally winning her first NC as a coach. SHE is the pulse of that BC team. Without Treanor, BC would have never made it to 4 consecutive title games and they most certainly wouldn't have won today. Cant say enough good things about her.

Hopefully the Orange can learn from this game and correct their errors so they can make another run again next year...

North's gonna win the Tewaaraton. I guess nobody else in the world had a game plan for her either.

A lot of the officiating seemed incredibly arbitrary, but women's lax has always looked that way to my eye. It has seemed to be getting better the past few years, though.

Out coached, no. If that was the case BC wouldn't have lost the last two games to Syracuse or won a prior game by only one goal. Out played today because of the loss of key players for Syracuse and the play of Charlotte North, yes.

Out coached, no. If that was the case BC wouldn't have lost the last two games to Syracuse or won a prior game by only one goal. Out played today because of the loss of key players for Syracuse and the play of Charlotte North, yes.
They got both out coached and out played today, imo. I will say that Gait has done a good job with making adjustments when needed over the course of the season which has gotten us out of some pits to win some games. However, speaking on todays game, none were made on the defensive/offensive end. As for the out played part-- as soon as E. Tyrrell got her second yellow card, they couldn't recover as no one stepped up to fill in her offensive prowess. If we were going to win today M. Tyrrell and E. Ward needed to put this team on their back, which they did not do. The bone headed/unnecessary fouls certainly didn't help their cause either.

Like I said, proud of this team for even getting to the title game with 2 of our top scorers missing (3 if we count Emma Tyrrell who didn't play for the majority of this game). Don't know many teams who would be able to do that, if any. But, whichever way you want to spin it, today they lost focus and wheels came off and I blame that on coaching.

Nah. Teams were evenly matched and split 4. 2 games were close and 2 were blowouts, just unfortunate SYR got blown out in the championship game

My only issue with Gait’s coaching today is why didn’t they face guard North the whole game like they did in the second game in the dome against them? It pretty much shut her down and they won by 7 or 8 goals.

The refs were a part of the problem but not all of it. The team looked sluggish the whole game. Lots of bad turnovers and just slow to the ball. I wonder if northwestern’s constant pressure the whole game Friday wore them out for today. They had to work really, really hard all game against the wildcats just to get it into the box. I don’t watch a lot of women’s lacrosse but I’ve never seen a team ride like that.

Losing Emma Tyrell that early really hurt.

Not a good game by Goldstock.

They need a lot of rule changes. The fouls are so arbitrary. You have to have a perfect check for it to be allowed but even then the refs get so many wrong. The shot clock needs to be significantly shorter. The 90 second length of time plus the lack of allowed checks make it nearly impossible to make a comeback. Or reset it to a much shorter time like 30 seconds after a shot on goal.

The draw controls need to be rethought or scrapped all together. I mean it can take a minute for the refs to set the girls sticks. And even then they usually move them back subtly before the whistle. That’s absurd

Nah. Teams were evenly matched and split 4. 2 games were close and 2 were blowouts, just unfortunate SYR got blown out in the championship game
I said it in the parking lot before the game that it was going to be very hard to beat BC 3 times in a row. Both teams are evenly matched and they have the best player in the country right now with North. Also, this was BC’s 4th consecutive title game. Odds were not in our favor for this game. I as we all wanted SU to win but the outcome didn’t surprise me. We’ll be back and win it in the next few years!! Hopefully next year.

My only issue with Gait’s coaching today is why didn’t they face guard North the whole game like they did in the second game in the dome against them? It pretty much shut her down and they won by 7 or 8 goals.

The refs were a part of the problem but not all of it. The team looked sluggish the whole game. Lots of bad turnovers and just slow to the ball. I wonder if northwestern’s constant pressure the whole game Friday wore them out for today. They had to work really, really hard all game against the wildcats just to get it into the box. I don’t watch a lot of women’s lacrosse but I’ve never seen a team ride like that.

They need a lot of rule changes. The fouls are so arbitrary. You have to have a perfect check for it to be allowed but even then the refs get so many wrong. The shot clock needs to be significantly shorter. The 90 second length of time plus the lack of allowed checks make it nearly impossible to make a comeback. Or reset it to a much shorter time like 30 seconds after a shot on goal.

The draw controls need to be rethought or scrapped all together. I mean it can take a minute for the refs to set the girls sticks. And even then they usually move them back subtly before the whistle. That’s absurd
I can already tell you know way more about the game than I do, but I agree with a lot of this. As far as the refs, they seemed way too much of a factor both Friday and today. It just worked in our favor Friday.

I agree with your rule change ideas, particularly the draw controls. I was wondering if it was just me that felt it took WAY too long to get the women in position and the action going again.

“Losing Emma Tyrell that early really hurt.”

My daughter said the very same thing.

Isn't it time to change the game? Abandon rules stubbornly clung to by an old guard resistant to change. Take women's basketball as an example. Back in the late 40's and early 50's, women were considered too frail to play a full court game. There was a mid-court line that offensive or defensive players couldn't cross. Players could only take three dribbles before they had to pass.

I marvel at the athletics of the young women I saw playing today. Give them a game that matches their abilities and talent. They're not the fragile flowers their grandmothers were told to be. Give them helmets. Gloves so they can stick check. And abandon that ridiculous draw.

Above all, if nothing else, make it a game a spectator can understand.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom