Women's Lacrosse - SU 14 vs Virginia 18: Fri Apr 29, 7:30 PM [ACCT Qtrs] | Page 4 | Syracusefan.com

Women's Lacrosse SU 14 vs Virginia 18: Fri Apr 29, 7:30 PM [ACCT Qtrs]

Replay:

Last edited:
How many goalies are we bringing in already? Do they have money to hit the portal? I thought all scholarships were tied up with covid returnees.
We're only bringing in one goalie from California in the '22 class. She doesn't exactly see the best of competition out west-- so if I'm Kayla I'm not going to put all my faith in that. Especially when the goalie play this year has been mediocre at best. No idea how it shakes out with scholarships but we have one goalie graduating and id suspect some of the other ones we have on the roster will enter the portal and find new homes.

I'm worried about this! It doesn't hurt our chances of getting in the tourney-- but it doesn't take away the fact that they should be playing their best lacrosse right now and they came and did the exact opposite tonight!! In the first round!!! OF THE ACC TOURNAMENT!! Classical Syracuse Women's Lacrosse in a big game. I don't even know why I waste my time anymore, this is absolutely ridiculous.
This team has been teetering on the edge of massive collapse a few times this year. They played a similar game against northwestern. I think the injuries and lack of depth are catching up. They need rest more than they need another game this weekend.

See everyone in a couple of weeks.

Selection Sunday is May 8, 9 PM.

Next game should be Sun May 15.

Disappointing game tonight. Too many mistakes with the ball and really poor play on the defensive end of the field. My biggest concern is the amount of yellow cards this team gets. I was hoping they would be reduced with the change in coaches but it seems like the same stuff. Hopefully this team can rest up and heal up for a good may run.

I thought that that Florida game was going to be the final nail in the coffin for me in regards to this program— but I think this game was just that. At least until further notice… when Kayla is able to get recruits in here that actually play to win/play to their potential. I feel bad for Kayla because I know (and can clearly see) how hard she is working to correct these girls/clean up their bad habits only for them to go out and play like that. A slap in the face IMO. The amount of anxiety and stress that I get from watching them play is just not worth it. I cannot and will not from here on out for my sanity. The rest of the season is what it is at this point. If they win a game or two in the tourney, great. But I have full faith that they are going to do a lot of what I have seen them do in these big games for the past 11 years I've been watching. Not show up/play to their potential/play to win/play a full 60 mins/endless fouls after fouls/yellow cards after yellow cards/no discipline/the list can go on and on.

In regards to next year— I think it’s obvious that we need to bring in a reliable goalie, possibly even two. I don’t care if we have to poach another team’s starting goalie.. we need one and we need it here fast. Really wish we went after Kennedy Schottland in the ’22 class out of Victor. Right in our own backyard. That was a huge miss and mistake on Gary’s part. She’s already signed to Villanova, so Jill Batcheller has landed herself a pretty good goalie.

Defensively this team is a mess, in complete shambles, the lot… especially when they are in that zone defense. It’s actually painful to watch. How #31 is still out there is beyond me at this point. Constantly getting beat 1v1, helping when she doesn’t need to help— leaving people wide open, or standing around in the 8— getting 3 seconds and causing FPS which leads to goals. We need to be bringing in some serious talent from the portal defensively. Bringing in defensive help needs to be the biggest priority when the season is over. Period.

As for the offense, we’re poised to be pretty good again next year. Thats IF this team can stay healthy and not have important players get sidelined due to season-ending injuries for the third year in a row. This is still wild to me. I have never seen a team be plagued with this many injuries to star players/important pieces to the puzzle. I'm fully convinced that this team needs a curse lifted. With the amount of bad luck this team has had regarding injuries the past two years— it’s the only explanation that makes sense to me lol. So, I don’t think it would hurt to bring in a few offensive players from the portal here as well. I’m not trusting that we won’t be plagued with injuries again next year, so as much depth we can get, the better.

Really like the ’22 recruit we have coming in Meghan Rode from Garden City. She was gearing up to have a monster season and probably would have went on to win states— but you’ll never guess what happened! Went down with some kind of weird injury in her first game against Ward Melville. I don’t know if it was a season ending injury, but it was an injury nonetheless thats prevented her from playing since. I think we should redshirt her next year and save her for when 1) she’s completely healed and 2) both Meg’s leave (assuming they come back for a fifth year, which I think they will).

Random tidbit— I was watching the Yale vs Uconn game the other day and I can’t believe I’m about to say this, but I came away really impressed with Uconn. Where did they come from? #13 in the polls rn? I remember when they were one of the worst teams in the Big East and a team you threw on the schedule for an easy win. But boy do they play a fun brand of lacrosse now— and have some ballers on the offense that I think would crush it in the ACC, and Syracuse in particular. Lia Laprise being one. A senior, but (I think) has another year eligible due to the COVID shortened season. She is a Connecticut homer, so I don’t know if she would make the move, but wouldn’t hurt to pull out the stops to get her to transfer here. She is the complete package.. a wizard around the crease, can shoot, can dish, pick up ground balls, and all out hustler. There’s no limit to her game IMO— she can play both middie or attack. Also watching that UConn vs Yale game, I learned of a former Section 3 player who I had never heard of before and came away VERY impressed with her game. Grace Coon out of Marcellus. Ended the game with 7 goals against a solid Yale team. 7!! Also a senior, but I think has a year of eligibility due to the COVID season. Don’t have any inside info, but if the staff is interested and reached out, I think she would make the move and come back home. I WANT these two in Syracuse uniforms, I NEED these two in Syracuse uniforms. Kayla HAS to make this happen lol.

Anyway, its been real y’all. Illest out.

peace-out-disappear.gif

Last edited:
I thought that that Florida game was going to be the final nail in the coffin for me in regards to this program— but I think this game was just that. At least until further notice… when Kayla is able to get recruits in here that actually play to win/play to their potential. I feel bad for Kayla because I know (and can clearly see) how hard she is working to correct these girls/clean up their bad habits only for them to go out and play like that. A slap in the face IMO. The amount of anxiety and stress that I get from watching them play is just not worth it. I cannot and will not from here on out for my sanity. The rest of the season is what it is at this point. If they win a game or two in the tourney, great. But I have full faith that they are going to do a lot of what I have seen them do in these big games for the past 11 years I've been watching. Not show up/play to their potential/play to win/play a full 60 mins/endless fouls after fouls/yellow cards after yellow cards/no discipline/the list can go on and on.

In regards to next year— I think it’s obvious that we need to bring in a reliable goalie, possibly even two. I don’t care if we have to poach another team’s starting goalie.. we need one and we need it here fast. Really wish we went after Kennedy Schottland in the ’22 class out of Victor. Right in our own backyard. That was a huge miss and mistake on Gary’s part. She’s already signed to Villanova, so Jill Batcheller has landed herself a pretty good goalie.

Defensively this team is a mess, in complete shambles, the lot… especially when they are in that zone defense. It’s actually painful to watch. How #31 is still out there is beyond me at this point. Constantly getting beat 1v1, helping when she doesn’t need to help— leaving people wide open, or standing around in the 8— getting 3 seconds and causing FPS which leads to goals. We need to be bringing in some serious talent from the portal defensively. Bringing in defensive help needs to be the biggest priority when the season is over. Period.

As for the offense, we’re poised to be pretty good again next year. Thats IF this team can stay healthy and not have important players get sidelined due to season-ending injuries for the third year in a row. This is still wild to me. I have never seen a team be plagued with this many injuries to star players/important pieces to the puzzle. I'm fully convinced that this team needs a curse lifted. With the amount of bad luck this team has had regarding injuries the past two years— it’s the only explanation that makes sense to me lol. So, I don’t think it would hurt to bring in a few offensive players from the portal here as well. I’m not trusting that we won’t be plagued with injuries again next year, so as much depth we can get, the better.

Really like the ’22 recruit we have coming in Meghan Rode from Garden City. She was gearing up to have a monster season and probably would have went on to win states— but you’ll never guess what happened! Went down with some kind of weird injury in her first game against Ward Melville. I don’t know if it was a season ending injury, but it was an injury nonetheless thats prevented her from playing since. I think we should redshirt her next year and save her for when 1) she’s completely healed and 2) both Meg’s leave (assuming they come back for a fifth year, which I think they will).

Random tidbit— I was watching the Yale vs Uconn game the other day and I can’t believe I’m about to say this, but I came away really impressed with Uconn. Where did they come from? #13 in the polls rn? I remember when they were one of the worst teams in the Big East and a team you threw on the schedule for an easy win. But boy do they play a fun brand of lacrosse now— and have some ballers on the offense that I think would crush it in the ACC, and Syracuse in particular. Lia Laprise being one. A senior, but (I think) has another year eligible due to the COVID shortened season. She is a Connecticut homer, so I don’t know if she would make the move, but wouldn’t hurt to pull out the stops to get her to transfer here. She is the complete package.. a wizard around the crease, can shoot, can dish, pick up ground balls, and all out hustler. There’s no limit to her game IMO— she can play both middie or attack. Also watching that UConn vs Yale game, I learned of a former Section 3 player who I had never heard of before and came away VERY impressed with her game. Grace Coon out of Marcellus. Ended the game with 7 goals against a solid Yale team. 7!! Also a senior, but I think has a year of eligibility due to the COVID season. Don’t have any inside info, but if the staff is interested and reached out, I think she would make the move and come back home. I WANT these two in Syracuse uniforms, I NEED these two in Syracuse uniforms. Kayla HAS to make this happen lol.

Anyway, its been real y’all. Illest out.

View attachment 216941
I wasn't all that impressed with Kennedy's video I like Fran argenteri from Westhill but I guess I'll get a clse up of her today as West Genny Plays Victor

I thought that that Florida game was going to be the final nail in the coffin for me in regards to this program— but I think this game was just that. At least until further notice… when Kayla is able to get recruits in here that actually play to win/play to their potential. I feel bad for Kayla because I know (and can clearly see) how hard she is working to correct these girls/clean up their bad habits only for them to go out and play like that.

Defensively this team is a mess, in complete shambles, the lot… especially when they are in that zone defense. It’s actually painful to watch.

This is on the head coach. Doesn't inspire a whole lot of confidence right now. Before anybody asks, I am not calling for her to be fired. Just pointing out that she has had trouble all year getting this team to play to their capabilities. Gait seemed to not have this problem.

That being said, when your save percentage is .052 (.300 is minimally acceptable at this level), you have no chance. A capable goalie is an absolute off-season must (as it is for the mens side as they have no goalie either).

I wasn't all that impressed with Kennedy's video I like Fran argenteri from Westhill but I guess I'll get a clse up of her today as West Genny Plays Victor
I saw the WG goalie play earlier in spring and thought she was really good for a sophomore. Long way away but I think she could play at the high D1 level.

I saw the WG goalie play earlier in spring and thought she was really good for a sophomore. Long way away but I think she could play at the high D1 level.
I know she likes Cuse and Loyola at this point

Something to keep in mind about last night. UVa was not only playing to keep their NCAA hopes alive, they also may have been playing for the coach's job. Julie Myers has been there for 26 years and has made the tournament every year. Last night may keep the string going. This year seemed like a another underperforming year (big time) with may folks (including yours truly) thinking it was time for her to retire lest we have another Starsia and Welsh "hanging around past their time" situation on our hands. One thing I didn't know until last night was how they had a lot of injuries and the number of freshmen and sophomores on the team (accounted for 12 of the 18 goals).

Defense/goalie play has been and still is the Achilles Heel of SU women’s lacrosse.

I still have faith in Coach Treanor and just chalk it up to her being a rookie head coach. Have to keep in mind she’s still one of the youngest head coaches in the country at 28. Hopefully she’s quickly learning and adapting/adjusting from these frustrating losses and have the ladies running on all cylinders come tournament time. This team is capable of making a deep run.

Something to keep in mind about last night. UVa was not only playing to keep their NCAA hopes alive, they also may have been playing for the coach's job. Julie Myers has been there for 26 years and has made the tournament every year. Last night may keep the string going. This year seemed like a another underperforming year (big time) with may folks (including yours truly) thinking it was time for her to retire lest we have another Starsia and Welsh "hanging around past their time" situation on our hands. One thing I didn't know until last night was how they had a lot of injuries and the number of freshmen and sophomores on the team (accounted for 12 of the 18 goals).
It's always tough when a coach wants to hang on and still has the passion, but it's just not in the best interests of the program.

Something to keep in mind about last night. UVa was not only playing to keep their NCAA hopes alive, they also may have been playing for the coach's job. Julie Myers has been there for 26 years and has made the tournament every year. Last night may keep the string going. This year seemed like a another underperforming year (big time) with may folks (including yours truly) thinking it was time for her to retire lest we have another Starsia and Welsh "hanging around past their time" situation on our hands. One thing I didn't know until last night was how they had a lot of injuries and the number of freshmen and sophomores on the team (accounted for 12 of the 18 goals)

You make some good points. UVA's young contributors are strong, but the drop off in talent is pretty evident once you get past them. I hope that they stay healthy, but you need depth in the ACC. I will add, UVA has not been a visible presence at the major club tournaments the past 4-5 years. Whereas you will see the rest of the ACC, Big Ten and Ivy's there. This could be why they have not been as strong as they should be IMO. Great academics, proximity to the DMV, history and playing in the ACC should result in a consistent top 3-4 finish in the league.

Defense/goalie play has been and still is the Achilles Heel of SU women’s lacrosse.

I still have faith in Coach Treanor and just chalk it up to her being a rookie head coach. Have to keep in mind she’s still one of the youngest head coaches in the country at 28. Hopefully she’s quickly learning and adapting/adjusting from these frustrating losses and have the ladies running on all cylinders come tournament time. This team is capable of making a deep run.
When watching to me the biggest issue is defense. We can blame the goalies but when you let good offensive players have wide open shots in front of the goal there is not much the goalies can do.

You make some good points. UVA's young contributors are strong, but the drop off in talent is pretty evident once you get past them. I hope that they stay healthy, but you need depth in the ACC. I will add, UVA has not been a visible presence at the major club tournaments the past 4-5 years. Whereas you will see the rest of the ACC, Big Ten and Ivy's there. This could be why they have not been as strong as they should be IMO. Great academics, proximity to the DMV, history and playing in the ACC should result in a consistent top 3-4 finish in the league.
You hit every nail on the head and that's why there's a lot of folks who think Myers needs to retire and bring in new blood who will scout the clubs and do the stuff to get us back to where we were.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom