SU 73 vs Louisville 72: Sun Feb 11, 12 PM | Page 6 | Syracusefan.com

SU 73 vs Louisville 72: Sun Feb 11, 12 PM

The only way SU and Fair get recognition this year is to make a run in the NCAA tournament. FLJ is a second year coach here, what she has accomplished is amazing given the train wreck she took over. Thanks Q by the way. Still some games to play, this season is up for grabs.

It’s BS. Two top 25 teams. A controversial call to end the game, and the best we can get is someone’s cell phone video?

Is a clip of the entire possession to much to ask?
I would like to see the team’s accomplishment highlighted and the video replayed to show what a crybaby ‘Ville’s‘ coach is but the actual video and call doesn’t seem controversial in itself, just his reaction is. I do agree though that women’s basketball is totally under covered and the SU story is inspirational and news worthy and more than 99.9% of the country doesn’t know it. If you’re not UConn, LSU, South Carolina, Notre Dame or anything Caitlyn Clark related - women’s basketball isn’t a story worth covering. The Syracuse media (including Axe etc) don’t seem to embrace this story either.

The only way SU and Fair get recognition this year is to make a run in the NCAA tournament. FLJ is a second year coach here, what she has accomplished is amazing given the train wreck she took over. Thanks Q by the way. Still some games to play, this season is up for grabs.
When you think of the players that might have been here. Cardoso, Williams, Day, and Lattimore. Cardoso starts for South Carolina, Day and Lattimore are now playing 30+ minutes at Miami.

When you think of the players that might have been here. Cardoso, Williams, Day, and Lattimore. Cardoso starts for South Carolina, Day and Lattimore are now playing 30+ minutes at Miami.
I still don’t understand how everyone ended up leaving that team all at once. I knew we had some great young players, but I didn’t follow the team super close that season. All I knew was that a couple players complained about Q, Tiana spoke out in his defense, and then the team was gone.

Thankfully FLJ has us back on track. So glad she’s here.

good take from someone on their board

In typical fashion, this board blames the refs. Youd think we never lost a game if it weren't for the refs. The refs missed some calls sure. ON BOTH SIDES but overall, they were fine. Syracuse was called for one more foul in the game and we shot 11 more free throws then them. Nuff said. The fact of the matter is that we are an average team at best that does not have the skill or composure to end these games unless everyone is on which seldom happens.
Good take except for the " average team" comment. They are not an average team. That was a frustration comment.

IMG_3130.jpeg

Player of the week: Dyaisha Fair, Syracuse
In a dramatic and controversial finish to Sunday's 73-72 victory over Louisville -- one that drew much ire from Cardinals coach Jeff Walz -- Fair went to the line with two seconds left and the Orange trailing by one point. She hit both free throws, giving Syracuse the victory and finishing with 29 points. She also had 17 points in the Orange's 62-59 win over Georgia Tech on Thursday.

Coach of the week: Felisha Legette-Jack, Syracuse
The Orange were picked to finish ninth in the ACC preseason poll. After their victories last week against Georgia Tech and Louisville, they are 20-4 overall and 10-3 in the ACC, good for second place in a tight race. Legette-Jack took over at her alma mater last season, going 20-13 and reaching the third round of the WNIT. She came to Syracuse after previously being a head coach at Hofstra, Indiana and Buffalo.

Actually, Walz went above the ACC to the NCAA and they concurred that call should not have been called. The ACC as we all know has horrible refs. But I bet the ACC won't recant their statement and fine. :/ BOZICH | The perfect fix for ACC's blown $20,000 call against Walz, Louisville women
I couldn't disagree with that homer more. I am not the biggest follower of women's college basketball, but I watched that game and there was no question in my mind that an intentional foul was made. Most refs would just call a common foul, but in my opinion, this ref called it as he (and I) saw it. There was no play on the ball whatsoever. I even got into it on Twitter (I know, I know) with some yahoo who has a sports talk show in L'ville. Rather than whining, Walz needs to teach his players how to at least make an attempt for the ball on a foul. That foul was just as intentional as Bacot's at the end of the men's game the other night.

Actually, Walz went above the ACC to the NCAA and they concurred that call should not have been called. The ACC as we all know has horrible refs. But I bet the ACC won't recant their statement and fine. :/ BOZICH | The perfect fix for ACC's blown $20,000 call against Walz, Louisville women
It is interesting to see how this story was covered in three articles, each of which went in a different direction.

Here is what a 247 article says:

Disgraced former C-J writer Rick Bozich wrote the story you linked to. It went exactly as one would think a story written by Rick would go.

Alexis Cubit, who still writes for the C-J, wrote a story with a lot more detail and insight into what actually happened.

Even Walz admits that there are limits to what is allowed when you do an intentional foul late in the game.

The smart thing has always been to make a clear play on the ball when you intentionally foul. The UL player did not do it, and UL paid the price.

I couldn't disagree with that homer more. I am not the biggest follower of women's college basketball, but I watched that game and there was no question in my mind that an intentional foul was made. Most refs would just call a common foul, but in my opinion, this ref called it as he (and I) saw it. There was no play on the ball whatsoever. I even got into it on Twitter (I know, I know) with some yahoo who has a sports talk show in L'ville. Rather than whining, Walz needs to teach his players how to at least make an attempt for the ball on a foul. That foul was just as intentional as Bacot's at the end of the men's game the other night.
she grabbed Fair's jersey from behind, automatic intentional foul

she grabbed Fair's jersey from behind, automatic intentional foul
I was told to stop looking at it as a Syracuse fan, by someone who couldn’t help looking at it as a Louisville fan. I was told to provide proof and specific examples of when such an atrocity had previously occurred. Was the timing of the call unusual? I’d have to say yes, insofar as the easier thing for the ref to do would be to just call a common foul. That being said, the ref absolutely made the right call on that play. The time of game shouldn’t be relevant, even though we all know that many times it does factor in to calls (or non-calls.)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RDembowski

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom