SU Athletics Golf Outing | Syracusefan.com

SU Athletics Golf Outing

FL Orange

Walk On
Been a while since I have been on the board. However, I thought it would be worthy to offer an opportunity for some of our hard liner supporters. We have a few limited spots left for our annual SU Athletics Golf Outing which will take place on June 6th at Seneca Falls Country Club. Always a great time supported strongly by the football coaching staff. It begins with a 12:00 shotgun followed by a cocktail hour and steak dinner. We have had in the past a strong inspirational speech by past coaches and and Coach Babers is second to none! I would be very remiss if I didn't mention the legendary steak sandwiches on the course! A fun time always. The cost is $125 per person. If you would like to play with a football coach/staff member I can also arrange that. These spots are limited so please respond as it will be on a first response basis. And FL Orange is not Florida but rather Finger Lakes Orange!

its a great time.. it got moved to a wed this year so i cant attend, but i would recommend it to anyone who can find their way there. not an overlong or difficult course so any level can have fun there

I have played in this tournament many times. It is a great way to get an SU football fix in the middle of the off season. The food is good and the staff is open and honest. Hope Dino attends this year!

Great time...recommend it to anyone. I would love to be there but will be in Florida.

I have my foursome in. We're fully planning on winning with a 57 or 58... ;)

Great time indeed. The coaches have always given excellent and candid speeches.

Usually rains, but let's hope that changes this year!

i dont think it will take a 57 to win. but that would be nice playing. hopefully not a wash out again

I could triple the registration fee, and they’d still kick me off the course, I’m such a hack.

if only this was a bit earlier in the day. they seem to hit mid round rain every year and noon starts always seem to drag. 10 would let them finish by 3ish and open the course back up too.

A few nuggets.
Two teams posted 59s (13 under), besting the 3rd/4th finishers (a tie at 63) by 4 strokes. Course was in very good condition, weather cooperated with little to no wind, and for a change the play was at a decent pace (4.5 hours). There were a tad fewer groups than in past years. Still, a good turnout, but it helped not to have an A and B group at every single hole (as happened in prior years).
Seneca Falls Golf Club and the local Orange Club did their usual fine job with all amenities -- hamburgers, hots & steak sandwiches, with beer and soda, at a central spot on the course; steak dinner; good service; busy bar in the break before dinner.
Many coaches played golf and stayed for the dinner. Kim McCloud led the introductions at dinner, with coaches Martin, Cavanaugh, Ward, Monroe, Reynolds, Stannard present, along with Brad Wittke (football ops). MIght have missed one or two others. Can't say that McCloud offered any scoops - basically, coaches & players are working hard, being competitive. No grand predictions or promises about the new fast. Jason Poles for SU Athletics made a vigorous pitch for Orange fans to show up, buy tickets, bring friends, to fill the Dome and revive what he remembers (when at capacity during his playing days) as a loud, home field advantage. As an exception, Nick Monroe (in a small group conversation) promised some exciting wins.
Dino Babers led off the event at noon -- with his left arm in a sling from an operation performed at 4 p.m. on Tuesday. Said he had received nerve blockers good for 22 hours, so he was speaking at noon, rather than at the dinner, and could not stay. Said his team is growing up, better in the lines, and young at linebacker and wide receivers. Said he felt the defense this year might be better than the offense. Said his recruiting goal is to land prospects better than what he has on the roster, and that was easier to do in his first classes here. Now, with an improved roster, it is not so easy, and he is being selective. The staff is out at the camps, will host their own camp -- there should be recruiting news by the end of the month. Nothing in particular about late additions to the roster. The attendees were either shy about posing questions, or eager to head to their assigned tee to begin their rounds.

For those within driving distance, this Seneca Falls golf outing is a great opportunity.

good stuff..

59 is about what usually gets you in the money there. I think 16 under a couple years ago won.. some pretty good golfers usually play in that thing.

i know of 2 teams that didnt play just because it got moved to a wed.

To get to 59 or lower, your group has to reach the par 5s in two. So, pick your ringers carefully.

What we were missing last week -- more board members chatting up the many coaches in attendance.

My team won with a 59. We played well, but had no eagles.

The field was lighter than usual this year. The course was indeed in excellent condition.

Got a chance to chat with Dino beforehand for about 10 minutes with my foursome. He is a monster of a human being. Just towers over everyone and looks like he could suit up and start at the Mike this year.

He's very easy to like and can connect with recruits. The weak attendance at games is easily the biggest force working against him right now. Big, big, big issue.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CarlsbergMD

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom