SU athletics offering new student ticket model to boost Carrier Dome attendance | Syracusefan.com

SU athletics offering new student ticket model to boost Carrier Dome attendance

Not a student but what part of that package attracts more kids? is the t-shirt a big deal? are the points something a kid cares about?

Do they really need the Student Pass Plus? Can't they just have a box you can check to make a five dollar donation and get a free t-shirt? I do like the other options though. If I were a student, I'd probably splurge for the elite.

I don't see this doing anything for boosting student attendance, rather it seems like an effort to get more money out of the diehard students who already go to games by offering them some questionable perks for an increased payment. The casual student fans will still probably not buy season tix and wait for them to give them away like they've done the past few seasons.

These types of programs can work for non-students, i.e. throwing in perks for tiered membership, but how many students are going to pay more money for priority for postseason away games when there's a pretty fair chance of there not being any away postseason games? Take this year for example, you would have gotten priority for women's NCAA hoops tix in Storrs, CT?

I worked in ticket sales for 3 years ... this idea is not the way they should have gone.

I was interested in your perspective when I read abut this idea this morning. I like they are trying something but not sure the perks are necessarily something many would be interested in tossing out extra money for when they are still paying to go to school.

I was interested in your perspective when I read abut this idea this morning. I like they are trying something but not sure the perks are necessarily something many would be interested in tossing out extra money for when they are still paying to go to school.

I immediately texted two former colleagues and we had a nice convo about it. Listen, I am all for making the student experience better ... a hat, a shirt, a practice, and priority points they may never use is not the way lol.

It's cool that they decreased the cost for people who just want the seasons by $19 but come on.

I'm also all for active discussion for student activity fees, but it needs to go beyond that. I told a higher up long ago that they need an actual full time employee whose job it is to focus SOLELY on student attendance at ALL sports. Hoping that comes to fruition at some point

dont we really have 4-5 separate issues

kids who like fball
kids who like bball
kids who like fball/bball
kids who like the other sports
kids who like all the sports

each issue has some threshold of attendance they are looking for.

Bball seems to be selling itself most of the time
fball needs help that winning will fix

the other sports not sure any of this changes how most people feel about them

Not a student but what part of that package attracts more kids? is the t-shirt a big deal? are the points something a kid cares about?

I don't really get this, and I don't think the kids will either. Building up points for later in life doesn't seem like it would be of interest to today's student.

It's interesting that they said they talked to other schools about what they do.

I really don't get why they're not "free" at this point, and the cost is buried somewhere else in the cost to attend the school. It just seems like cost-benefit balance of that particular revenue stream vs the impact that their full attendance can have on the program and atmosphere isn't being calculated correctly.

But what do I know.

free solves one problem but doesnt solve everything. it doesnt reward the kids who really want to support the team.. priority seating would be something i would think has a perk. the more you buy the later you get to come and get the best seats.

free solves one problem but doesnt solve everything. it doesnt reward the kids who really want to support the team.. priority seating would be something i would think has a perk. the more you buy the later you get to come and get the best seats.

Yeah, they could do something like that. Track student IDs, see who goes the most. Give them points that mean something, like priority in the first come first serve line. Make it like Disney and the people who get to walk past all the commoners in line. Other than my son's ear to ear smile, that was my favorite part of the week.

Do they really need the Student Pass Plus? Can't they just have a box you can check to make a five dollar donation and get a free t-shirt? I do like the other options though. If I were a student, I'd probably splurge for the elite.
Most of us here would probably spring for elite...I think the University wants to attract some students to eventually become young alumni with season passes. Hopefully, they have a section for young alumni at a good discount.

I don't really get this, and I don't think the kids will either. Building up points for later in life doesn't seem like it would be of interest to today's student.

It's interesting that they said they talked to other schools about what they do.

I really don't get why they're not "free" at this point, and the cost is buried somewhere else in the cost to attend the school. It just seems like cost-benefit balance of that particular revenue stream vs the impact that their full attendance can have on the program and atmosphere isn't being calculated correctly.

But what do I know.
Where did you see that? It makes me wonder which schools they talked to. You know, state factories where all the grads stay in the freaking state close by, and keep going to games? Or private schools, where the alumni spread out, and go to 1-2 games a year?

I presented an idea to give students a 'shoppers club card' in essence. Their tickets would be 'free' (part of tuition) and they would scan into AND out of events to build points to be used for awesome benefits. This way to university and athletic department could work together with a point system to get students to games.

I had a model that would give students a certain number of points depending on what event they were attending. 25 points for a football game, 25 points for a basketball game, 20 for soccer, FH, VB, etc. (you get the idea)

Then the university could send them blasts that "This weekend all events point totals will be doubled" or "Free Pizza at the MSOC game tonight" and things like that

But then the points could be used for priority seating for games, additional tickets for friends from other schools, swag bags, post season tickets, etc.

But... you see how far that idea went

why not discount on food and drink at events, lots of things you can do that have more benefit than a free t-shirt and bonus pts to something you can use years from now for many that may never come back. but i guess thats free for the school if its never used.

I presented an idea to give students a 'shoppers club card' in essence. Their tickets would be 'free' (part of tuition) and they would scan into AND out of events to build points to be used for awesome benefits. This way to university and athletic department could work together with a point system to get students to games.

I had a model that would give students a certain number of points depending on what event they were attending. 25 points for a football game, 25 points for a basketball game, 20 for soccer, FH, VB, etc. (you get the idea)

Then the university could send them blasts that "This weekend all events point totals will be doubled" or "Free Pizza at the MSOC game tonight" and things like that

But then the points could be used for priority seating for games, additional tickets for friends from other schools, swag bags, post season tickets, etc.

Other than the free part (which I'll argue to the death - I think students have to have some skin in the game), those are great ideas.

Scanning out of games in particular is something I've thought should be pursued. It'd be great to incentivize being in the building for the alma mater; anything that can be done to keep the student section full through the second half would be nice. I wonder if there's a logistical problem with "scanning out" - what does the fire marshal say?

Other than the free part (which I'll argue to the death - I think students have to have some skin in the game), those are great ideas.

Scanning out of games in particular is something I've thought should be pursued. It'd be great to incentivize being in the building for the alma mater; anything that can be done to keep the student section full through the second half would be nice. I wonder if there's a logistical problem with "scanning out" - what does the fire marshal say?

Not hard to control at all. Students ONLY come in through Gate E and you can have them exit out of 3 exits on that side of the building. You get half points for scanning in, don't scan out? Don't get the other half of the points.

This system boosts attendance at other sporting events too. It's a win win.

Not hard to control at all. Students ONLY come in through Gate E and you can have them exit out of 3 exits on that side of the building. You get half points for scanning in, don't scan out? Don't get the other half of the points.

This system boosts attendance at other sporting events too. It's a win win.

On paper it's great. I just wonder if there's a concern about a crowd crush if there's a controlled point of exit with a scanning requirement. Entrance and exit are very different in terms of crowd behavior and safety.

On paper it's great. I just wonder if there's a concern about a crowd crush if there's a controlled point of exit with a scanning requirement. Entrance and exit are very different in terms of crowd behavior and safety.
Can also have them scanning out in the tunnels leaving the section. Obviously a better plan would have to be in place. Can also use the 'check in' feature that other colleges have used.

Regardless... a t shirt and a hat suck. Sorry to say

They tried the points system when I was a junior. I won a signed JB poster of the Nova game in 2010, my buddy won a flight to an away basketball game, my other buddy won field passes for a game.

Unfortunately I don't think many kids participated outside of 100-200 of the crazy ones.

Free tickets didn't work either, and won't work. You have no obligation to show up for something that's free. If you paid for it, chances are you'll actually go.

But what do I know.

Understand that "free" sounds attractive but the desired outcome is to cultivate an involved, passionate young fan base that feels invested in the program. To me "free" devalues it somewhat and you end up with an empty student section before halftime if we fall behind by 10 points.

Don't give up all hope......

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom