SU Commitments HS Basketball Schedule 2012-2013 | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

SU Commitments HS Basketball Schedule 2012-2013

Who do you want to see live the most?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Oh, btw, I was sitting 2 rows in front of Karl Towns and company. I talked to a few guys from St. Joseph Metuchen (nice kids, asked me about stats for mini-Steph Curry and Tyler; one kid asked me how to spell Kyrie as in Irving, ha). Also talked to kids from Columbia, who played yesterday. Place was pretty crowded, and looked to be a bunch of coaches/assistants there.

Scoring sheet from the game. Yes, I am a geek :)

Attachments

• photoroselle.JPG
    photoroselle.JPG
    63.6 KB · Views: 107
Tyler ended up with 20 points, from official scorer. Looks like 7 or so boards, 1+ offense (ridiculous dunk putback over 6'9 dude).
~3 steals, ~3 assists (one terrific outlet to Malachi), ~ 6 blocks but many more contested. Only guy to dunk in game and probably had 3+dunks. 8/9 FG (no typo), 1/1 3pt, 3/11 Fts (no typo). 1 personal foul, but he was fouled rough the whole game, never complained even though refs were one sided (2 horrible non calls at least, 1 out of bounds off Pope John clearly, but went the wrong way, and literally 3 possession arrows in a row for Pope John! It was laughable, sorry, but true. Either way, Roselle charged back the whole game to a 71-58 victory. Tyler owned the paint, and #44, 6'9 guy scored 10 points. 6'9 fouled 6 times, but fouled out with 5 even though he should have fouled out early 4th quarter.

1 Tyler block was off #44 when the guy made a great low post move.
Tyler was Roselle player of the game.

Other players, #11 from Pope John was a 5'8 Steph Curry type, excellent shooter, handler, 26 points to lead Pope John.

Malachi, very active, 4/7, 0/1, 4/7 FTs, 12 or so points. He played better than the stat line. Hakim Saintil scored a bunch, probably flirted with 20 points. #4 of Roselle, I forget the name, lightning fast and great handle.

Excellent comeback and fun game to watch. Tyler was the only player responsible for those "OH!" exclamations from the crowd.
Hey Tee, Jerry Meyer from 247 said Tyler has MKG like abilities. He said MKG has a better handle, but Tyler has the same intensity and motor to make things happen around the ball offensively and defensively. Did you notice the same during the comeback victory?

I was at the game too. Sat right near kyie Irving so that was cool. Roberson saw my big orange sweatshirt gave me a pound and said watsup. Real nice kid. A lot more active in the second half. Def thought he finished with more than 7 boards. I like Malachi but I didn't think he played too well today. Roselle catholic doesn't do a good job looking for Roberson and they took bad shots

I was at the game too. Sat right near kyie Irving so that was cool. Roberson saw my big orange sweatshirt gave me a pound and said watsup. Real nice kid. A lot more active in the second half. Def thought he finished with more than 7 boards. I like Malachi but I didn't think he played too well today. Roselle catholic doesn't do a good job looking for Roberson and they took bad shots
I think you might be right about the boards, tougher stat to follow and I might have missed a couple. He was a beast on the defensive glass, and yeah you're right, they really woke up in the 2nd half.

Box score here
You're right Jazz, Roberson had 12 rebounds.
Malachi chipped in 10 points and 5 assists, and Saintil added 17 points.
Whoever that #4 was, I thought might have been the fastest guy on the court and showed off dazzling dribble at one point, while being guarded tightly.

Hey Tee, Jerry Meyer from 247 said Tyler has MKG like abilities. He said MKG has a better handle, but Tyler has the same intensity and motor to make things happen around the ball offensively and defensively. Did you notice the same during the comeback victory?
I like the similarity. It's funny about his motor. He started off a little gun-shy, but the guy he was playing against should get credit for banging with him. In the 2nd half, Tyler got more looks and was aggressive and since he's built like a bull, just took contact and went to the rack like no one else. I think he did this because the refs didn't call a few fouls on Pope John. Offensively, he can handle on the perimeter against a 3 or 4, stroke looked good, and he took it into the paint in a variety of ways towards the end. His foul shooting was horrible in the sense that he shot a bad percentage, but they weren't the goofy big-guy bricks ;)

I see that same MKG defensive intensity and he shut down the paint to get Roselle back into the game. He also came out to the perimeter for help on many pick and roll situations, did a good job to press the ball handler, and even stole a few against much smaller guards. Also, when switching back, he didn't get lost or burned by his guy too often.

Tyler is a defensive talent, especially shot blocking and defensive rebounding. His intensity changed the game, and in that respect, he is like MKG who willed UK back into a game or two. But he's not an intense character type. He's very reserved, but out of nowhere, explodes with a block or angry stuff. After watching some ESPN HS games recently and being disappointed, I was very surprised to see him play way above the rim.

I also agree with what Jazz said that he could have been utilized better by Roselle, but they made that improvement in the 2nd half and found him.

Box score here
You're right Jazz, Roberson had 12 rebounds.
Malachi chipped in 10 points and 5 assists, and Saintil added 17 points.
Whoever that #4 was, I thought might have been the fastest guy on the court and showed off dazzling dribble at one point, while being guarded tightly.
#4 is Asante Gist. Adam Zagoria mentioned that SU has interest in the Pope John big man that you mentioned, Moustapha Diagne. Seems like he held his own today. He's only in the 2015 class, so we'll have to keep an eye on him.

#4 is Asante Gist. Adam Zagoria mentioned that SU has interest in the Pope John big man that you mentioned, Moustapha Diagne. Seems like he held his own today. He's only in the 2015 class, so we'll have to keep an eye on him.
Gist is speedy! Great crossover. Wow 2015, Diagne is young and has promise. Not polished, but there's something to say about containing Roberson in the beginning to give Pope John a chance.

I just saw that Gist is 2016. I wonder if our guys are watching out for him.

I really don't see similarities between MKG and Tyler. Tyler more of a 4 with some 3 capabilities, MKG a 3 with a 4's jumper. Tyler a big guy who is transitioning, where MKG is a natural hybrid. Tyler has the better shooting touch of the two, for sure. Neither are really off the dribbler shooters. Tyler's shots will come off a face up jab step to clear space(I wouldn't worry at all about the 3-11 ft)... MKG definitely a better handler, as he can handle like a guard on a fast break... Most of Tyler's game will be around the rim(freshman year), where it can vary a bit with MKG. Tyler a better shot blocker and rebounder, MKG better on ball defender... This is a bit picky, but Tyler isn't as smooth a runner as MKG. Runs like Baye...Without a doubt agree that his team/coach don't involve him as much as he should be. Can see him being one of those guys who have a better college career than hs career...It's very hard to pinpoint a guy similar to Roberson... The best comparison I can really come up with is a taller, bit less athletic Wes Johnson. Both can play D, Roberson better rebounder/shot blocker. His jumper isn't quite that of Wes' thus far, and may never be due to the fact he is taller and will play more inside, but it does resemble Wes'. Especially the jab step jumper... Perfect addition for us.

I really don't see similarities between MKG and Tyler. Tyler more of a 4 with some 3 capabilities, MKG a 3 with a 4's jumper. Tyler a big guy who is transitioning, where MKG is a natural hybrid. Tyler has the better shooting touch of the two, for sure. Neither are really off the dribbler shooters. Tyler's shots will come off a face up jab step to clear space(I wouldn't worry at all about the 3-11 ft)... MKG definitely a better handler, as he can handle like a guard on a fast break... Most of Tyler's game will be around the rim(freshman year), where it can vary a bit with MKG. Tyler a better shot blocker and rebounder, MKG better on ball defender... This is a bit picky, but Tyler isn't as smooth a runner as MKG. Runs like Baye...Without a doubt agree that his team/coach don't involve him as much as he should be. Can see him being one of those guys who have a better college career than hs career...It's very hard to pinpoint a guy similar to Roberson... The best comparison I can really come up with is a taller, bit less athletic Wes Johnson. Both can play D, Roberson better rebounder/shot blocker. His jumper isn't quite that of Wes' thus far, and may never be due to the fact he is taller and will play more inside, but it does resemble Wes'. Especially the jab step jumper... Perfect addition for us.
Yeah, I agree, Tyler is more in the 4 mold, but he does have some offensive skills on the perimeter. I saw some nice dribbling although it was to create space against a big man, not a perimeter defender, and the outside shot is a threat. The only three he took, he swished.

But you're right, his immediate impact is as a rebounder and interior defender.

That #11 I mentioned yesterday is already making news.
He has a couple of offers already, but he's a freshman, so I'm sure more offers to come.

More about Diagne from Zagsblog. "offers from Oregon State, George Mason, La Salle, Rider and Towson to go along with previous ones from West Virginia and Cleveland State. Cincinnati and Xavier recently watched him at the Hoop Group Tip-Off event."

Anybody planning to go to Roselle tomorrow to check out Roberson vs Dakari Johnson and Montverde?

Anybody planning to go to Roselle tomorrow to check out Roberson vs Dakari Johnson and Montverde?
Not going, but wish I could have made it. A great test for both players, and I would have like to seen how Tyler's defense stands up against a tall post player like DJ. This is one of those games that should have been televised.

Sunday baby!!!
Yup! Ennis, Briscoe, Patterson, McCullough, and Goodluck all on deck tomorrow. Roberson and Malachi doing their thing out in Ohio as well.

So Sunday I went to the Hoophall Classic for 2 games at Springfield College.

Brewster Academy vs. South Kent? Prep

Brewster, alma mater of CJ Fair, won this game pretty easily. They have a lot of big time talent. They had 3 Big 6 forwards:

Elijah Macon(WVU) - typical bob huggins guy, eats up space, great rebounder on both ends, most of his points came off offensive boards

Kyle Washington(NC St) - he showed the most of the three in the post, had a 2 or 3 nice hook shoots on post moves, couple nice blocks and a nice put back slam.

Chris McCullough(Cuse) - In the first half he showed why he is a top 10 recruit, showcasing his freak athleticism with 8 pts on 4 transition throw downs. The greedy fan I am I was wondering where is the rest of his game, is he just a freak athlete with little basketball skills? He only had one rebound and was getting beat on the boards. A kid on South Kent posted him up twice and scored fairly easily. He missed his only jump shot of the half.

Second half seemed like the coach wanted to try to go to him in the post. First 2 plays of the second half they went to McCullough in the post. One time he missed a one handed bank shot. The second he fumbled the pass and ended up a littler further from the basket but hit a cutting Patterson for a layup.

They like to use McCullough in the high post with one of the other bigs in the low post, so he didn't show much of a post game, but let's be honest he will not be a post player at Syracuse. Did better on the boards in the second but still a little lacking IMO. Hit 1 out of 2 jumpers in the second and showed a much better all around game causing turnovers, couple drives for layups, some good passes.

Brewster also had some good guards:

Jared Terrell(I believe a junior with an offer from Cuse) - this kid struggled and his frustration showed, didn't seem to play much in the second half. very big athletic guard.

Ron Patterson(Cuse) - Ron also struggled in this game but unlike Terrell he kept his cool and still played most of the game. Couldn't get his jump shot going but had a dunk and transition, layup on the feed from McCullough, and a put back of his own miss. Does other things to stay in the game if he is not scoring, but not a great game for him.

Martez Harrison(Not sure what year but definitely undecided) - He is short, definitely under 6 feet, but he was the player of the game. 12 pts, 8rbs, 8 assists. One of those guys that doesn't make mistakes and knows how to play, smart.

St Benedict's vs. Montrose Academy

Montrose had a decent team, seemed like their guards were young.

Ishmael Wainright(Baylor) - Best player on Montrose. Really jacked but seemed like he was only like 6'6, point forward type. Ennis and Briscoe guarded him most of the game.

Ennis(Cuse) - Played a good game, but probably one of his worse games this year judging by box scores. He doesn't make mistakes and always seems to be in control. Benedicts would often use the whole shot clock, but Ennis and Briscoe would never panic as the shot clock went down. Maybe it was the hoops but no one shot well in these two games and Ennis was only 2-8 from 3, but has a nice looking shot. Really attacked the rim and drew some fouls.

Briscoe(Sophomore) - Seemed like a tough game for him. Goes to the rim with no concern for his body, did not finish well in this game but got fouled a lot. Hit a couple jumper shots but he also struggled shooting.

They play 3 guards so Ennis had the ball much less than he will next year for the Cuse.

Really nice event, was pretty packed for these two games. Sat under the hoop right next to the coaches. Sit down and who walks in? Bob Huggins. There were reps from all over: Xavier, Virginia, Maryland, NC St, UConn, Pitt, Nova. Shaka Smart was in the house.

Brewster, alma mater of CJ Fair, won this game pretty easily. They have a lot of big time talent. They had 3 Big 6 forwards:

Elijah Macon(WVU) - typical bob huggins guy, eats up space, great rebounder on both ends, most of his points came off offensive boards

Kyle Washington(NC St) - he showed the most of the three in the post, had a 2 or 3 nice hook shoots on post moves, couple nice blocks and a nice put back slam.

Chris McCullough(Cuse) - In the first half he showed why he is a top 10 recruit, showcasing his freak athleticism with 8 pts on 4 transition throw downs. The greedy fan I am I was wondering where is the rest of his game, is he just a freak athlete with little basketball skills? He only had one rebound and was getting beat on the boards. A kid on South Kent posted him up twice and scored fairly easily. He missed his only jump shot of the half.

Second half seemed like the coach wanted to try to go to him in the post. First 2 plays of the second half they went to McCullough in the post. One time he missed a one handed bank shot. The second he fumbled the pass and ended up a littler further from the basket but hit a cutting Patterson for a layup.

They like to use McCullough in the high post with one of the other bigs in the low post, so he didn't show much of a post game, but let's be honest he will not be a post player at Syracuse. Did better on the boards in the second but still a little lacking IMO. Hit 1 out of 2 jumpers in the second and showed a much better all around game causing turnovers, couple drives for layups, some good passes.

Jared Terrell(I believe a junior with an offer from Cuse) - this kid struggled and his frustration showed, didn't seem to play much in the second half. very big athletic guard.

Ron Patterson(Cuse) - Ron also struggled in this game but unlike Terrell he kept his cool and still played most of the game. Couldn't get his jump shot going but had a dunk and transition, layup on the feed from McCullough, and a put back of his own miss. Does other things to stay in the game if he is not scoring, but not a great game for him.

Martez Harrison(Not sure what year but definitely undecided) - He is short, definitely under 6 feet, but he was the player of the game. 12 pts, 8rbs, 8 assists. One of those guys that doesn't make mistakes and knows how to play, smart.

Ishmael Wainright(Baylor) - Best player on Montrose. Really jacked but seemed like he was only like 6'6, point forward type. Ennis and Briscoe guarded him most of the game.

Ennis(Cuse) - Played a good game, but probably one of his worse games this year judging by box scores. He doesn't make mistakes and always seems to be in control. Benedicts would often use the whole shot clock, but Ennis and Briscoe would never panic as the shot clock went down. Maybe it was the hoops but no one shot well in these two games and Ennis was only 2-8 from 3, but has a nice looking shot. Really attacked the rim and drew some fouls.

Briscoe(Sophomore) - Seemed like a tough game for him. Goes to the rim with no concern for his body, did not finish well in this game but got fouled a lot. Hit a couple jumper shots but he also struggled shooting.

They play 3 guards so Ennis had the ball much less than he will next year for the Cuse.

Really nice event, was pretty packed for these two games. Sat under the hoop right next to the coaches. Sit down and who walks in? Bob Huggins. There were reps from all over: Xavier, Virginia, Maryland, NC St, UConn, Pitt, Nova. Shaka Smart was in the house.
Thanks Garbs for the report, much appreciated.

Great report!

Nice job Garbs. Appreciate you taking the time to do this. If you had to compare McCullough and his game to someone SU fans would be familiar with, who would that player be?

My son taught Elijah Macon when he taught in columbus. He taught him in early elementary school - tough inner city school.

Nice job Garbs. Appreciate you taking the time to do this. If you had to compare McCullough and his game to someone SU fans would be familiar with, who would that player be?
Can't really come up with a good/great comparison, but two names that crossed my mined were Greg Monroe and John Wallace, not saying he is either of those guys, but his game reminds me of them more than anyone I can think of. If I come up with a better one I will update. Not nasty on the boards or D, but good enough and does a lot of other things big guys usually don't do.

http://www.primetimeshootout.net/ptso.html
Primetime Shootout taking place out in Roselle Catholic this weekend. Ennis, Briscoe, Roberson, Richardson, Obokoh, Bryant, and Battle are all on deck to play. Kerney vs Roselle goes down on Sunday at 3:30.
Crazy games. Does anyone plan on going? I might give it a try, but some of the best teams in the country both days, not sure which I would go to.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom