SU fundraising/#BoostCuse | Page 5 | Syracusefan.com

SU fundraising/#BoostCuse

Made my regular donation to the Orange Forever fund. The lesser known Ensley creation. It provides a Block S blanket to the family of deceased former Syracuse LetterWinners. Have been to two wakes with the blanket displayed, it meant a great deal to the family. Glad to know the Cuse will be represented when I pass on.

Looks like they raised damn near $1.7 million in 24 hours. I don't have a big frame of reference for things like this, but that seems pretty damn good. It'll be interesting to see the breakdown.

EDIT: Looks like they raised over $1.75 million in 24 hours.

Last edited:
Looks like they raised damn near $1.7 million in 24 hours. I don't have a big frame of reference for things like this, but that seems pretty damn good. It'll be interesting to see the breakdown.

EDIT: Looks like they raised over $1.75 million in 24 hours.

For reference, Colgate raised $5.1M with 5,683 donors back in December 2013 in a similar one day event.

For reference, Colgate raised $5.1M with 5,683 donors back in December 2013 in a similar one day event.
I think Colgate is a lot better at fund raising than Syracuse is. Props to them.

The Syracuse giving web site says this was Syracuse's first foray into one day fund raising. I suspect they will get better at it in the future.

How Colgate University received 5,683 donations in one day

Colgate was helped by 4 different people each donating $1m. That's what SU lacked this time.
MSOrange linked an article above that had a number of very successful campaigns. The most impressive was Purdue which raised over $18 million in one day with more than 12k donations. That's big time. Here's the link again: 6 Hugely Successful Higher Ed Social Media Days of Giving - eCity Interactive

Last edited:

In some ways it helps to be a smaller school. I gave to that event in 2013 because I knew the alumni reps who e-mailed me. For SU's thing yesterday, I probably deleted the e-mails because they didn't grab my attention.

Still, looks like a very successful initial attempt. Good timing, for sure.

Colgate was helped by 4 different people each donating $1m. That's what SU lacked this time.

SU has to target our high net worth alum in the next campaign. Overall, this was well done. Given the number of donors. If they could get half the alumni in the NYC metro area to give $44, they'd get $1.1 million. There's a lot of potential here.

So, Yes, this was our first ever 24 hour campaign, and they did a really good job on the first one. This campaign goal was specifically not meant to target high net worth donors, but to increase the numbers that donate. Part of this push is to increase our rankings. 5% of college rankings are derived from how many people give to a college. They feel that in the past there was no effort given to encouraging lower donation amounts. That was part the goal of the 24 hour campaign. Those of us who worked as ambassadors of this campaign were told to push even $10 donations, just to get people to donate. There was one large matching donor. They are better off going after the major donors on a one to one basis. This campaign was also to get many into the habit of making at least one donation a year. As our national alumni president tweeted out about pushing a $20 donation, hey you spend so much more than that a week on Starbucks.
Also, if they do anything, it will only be paypal. It has taken pulling teeth to even get them to consider paypal. So one thing for now, and paypal is the goal.

I have to ask... why? Why the resistance to making donating as easy as humanly possible? If people can just quick link a donation from the variety of ways of one click payments (including Paypal)... wouldn't it obviously lead to more donations?

So, Yes, this was our first ever 24 hour campaign, and they did a really good job on the first one. This campaign goal was specifically not meant to target high net worth donors, but to increase the numbers that donate. Part of this push is to increase our rankings. 5% of college rankings are derived from how many people give to a college. They feel that in the past there was no effort given to encouraging lower donation amounts. That was part the goal of the 24 hour campaign. Those of us who worked as ambassadors of this campaign were told to push even $10 donations, just to get people to donate. There was one large matching donor. They are better off going after the major donors on a one to one basis. This campaign was also to get many into the habit of making at least one donation a year. As our national alumni president tweeted out about pushing a $20 donation, hey you spend so much more than that a week on Starbucks.
Also, if they do anything, it will only be paypal. It has taken pulling teeth to even get them to consider paypal. So one thing for now, and paypal is the goal.
Thank you for this synopsis. Such a great and important idea to make us "poor" supporters of the school feel important and to give us a chance to offer our support in a way that energizes everyone and puts a daily goal on the table. Using social media and generating buzz made it that much more effective. Getting alums used to donating and putting a face on who those people are is so important. They should try and do this once or twice a year, and create growing benchmarks. 3000 donations this time, 5k, then 10k, etc.

I have to ask... why? Why the resistance to making donating as easy as humanly possible? If people can just quick link a donation from the variety of ways of one click payments (including Paypal)... wouldn't it obviously lead to more donations?
I believe the answer had to do with costs associated with it. Venmo is much harder to work with than paypal from what I was told. I think one step at a time is gong to be the approach. Most have both. I use both. As long as I have a one button option to pay, that is the goal.

Thank you for the explanation. I can see that from the setup and cost point of view. Even with just getting Paypal it would be a monumental step forward, so I'm glad you can help push that option. :)

This.

I believe the answer had to do with costs associated with it. Venmo is much harder to work with than paypal from what I was told. I think one step at a time is gong to be the approach. Most have both. I use both. As long as I have a one button option to pay, that is the goal.

Which is funny because PayPal owns Venmo

Just to give you a sense of what other schools do and how they do it:

Columbia had their giving day today. Obviously their alumni base should have a few more dollars to spare on average, but the numbers are pretty staggering:

Columbia Giving Day 2017

Just to give you a sense of what other schools do and how they do it:

Columbia had their giving day today. Obviously their alumni base should have a few more dollars to spare on average, but the numbers are pretty staggering:

Columbia Giving Day 2017

The thing I would like to see is a comparison of total donations for the year, not just one day.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseGuy44

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom