SU has reworked the contract with IMG... | Syracusefan.com

SU has reworked the contract with IMG...

Syracuse, IMG reach a new agreement for athletic broadcasting rights (PS: Carlson)

Sports marketing giant IMG sent an e-mail to local radio stations on Tuesday indicating that the company had reached a new agreement with Syracuse about broadcasting SU athletic events.

The e-mail, sent by Robert Smith, a network manager for IMG College, indicated Syracuse's previous deal with the company had been "restructured/renewed/reworked."

"As you are probably well aware by now, there has been some recent confusion as to the partnership between IMG & Syracuse for future years," Smith wrote. "Fortunately, IMG & Syracuse have restructured/renewed/reworked our agreement & IMG will continue to serve as your home for all Syracuse Orange broadcasts for future seasons!!!"

perhaps now they will get a radio deal so you can actually hear the games in the radio and get it on satellite.. pre/post game shows would be nice as well.

Does anyone think the timing of the situation forced SU back into a restructured deal with IMG as opposed to a full survey of outside possibilities on the open market. Football season is 10 days away. More money certainly but perhaps not as much as could have been made with more time? Most likely something similar to Rutgers? $5.9 for limited rights, or UCONN $8.0 for everything?

Does anyone think the timing of the situation forced SU back into a restructured deal with IMG as opposed to a full survey of outside possibilities on the open market. Football season is 10 days away. More money certainly but perhaps not as much as could have been made with more time? Most likely something similar to Rutgers? $5.9 for limited rights, or UCONN $8.0 for everything?
Sounds like there was a lot of pressure on IMG to get their contract with Syracuse renewed.

I would think SU was in a terrific position to get a favorable contract this time around...

Total Speculation based on experience:
When selling or renting something the number of exclamation points is the inverse of how the seller feels about the actual offering.

Multiple exclamation points by the IMG's Smith to the radio stations...Gut feel, Syracuse got a much better deal and IMG is paying up.

Sounds like there was a lot of pressure on IMG to get their contract with Syracuse renewed.

I would think SU was in a terrific position to get a favorable contract this time around...

Wow, that could only have helped... Wonder where SU ranks in their pecking order...? Any idea Tom? What are the other top brands they represent?

I think I had heard 8 mil but I could be mistaken, lot goes into the number

Wow, that could only have helped... Wonder where SU ranks in their pecking order...? Any idea Tom? What are the other top brands they represent?
I really don't know but I would think the fact that SU was one of only a couple of schools referenced in the article is a good indicator that Syracuse was an important client to IMG...

Rutgers got $6MM for a worthless brand name. Gotta be well north of that, in my opinion. I think Tom is correct in that the properties mentioned in the article are all big name, high profile schools for marketing purposes. Dare I say it? Cha ching!

UPDATE: Syracuse University confirms agreement of new multimedia rights contract with IMG (PS: Carlson)

The Syracuse athletic department announced Tuesday that it has reached a new contract with IMG on both a broadcasting and multimedia rights agreement.

The announcement came via press release, confirming details about the broadcast agreement sent out by e-mail from an IMG College representative to local radio stations.

The press release said that IMG will sell corporate sponsorships and market other assets of the athletics department including certain digital entities, Carrier Dome signage and in-game promotions. It will also continue to manage radio broadcasts and coaches' shows.

The press release did not specify terms or the length of the deal with IMG. It stressed the idea of a partnership with IMG, as well as the role IMG's parent company, William Morris Endeavor, played in the decision.

Sounds like it was a limited rights deal and not full-blown like UConn. :noidea:

UCANN't got 8 mill. I have to think SU with a comparible basketball program and a much better football program has to get 9-10 mill.

Sounds like it was a limited rights deal and not full-blown like UConn. :noidea:
I agree. Reviewing things, it looks much along the lines of the previous agreement they had with IMG except the marketing and selling of corporate sponsorships appears to be new and is to my very non-marketing eyes probably the biggest change in the deal.

Looking at the Ohio State writeup for IMG, it looks like that was something IMG has been doing for the Buckeyes. I suspect our new guy from Columbus probably was key in adding that service to the agreement.

I really don't know but I would think the fact that SU was one of only a couple of schools referenced in the article is a good indicator that Syracuse was an important client to IMG...
Agreed... many contracts come up for renewal every year, but only a few that are significant. With the turn over at the IMG top and the increased competition, they really can't afford to lose any of their high profile accounts. I suspect that the competition was more than willing to deal.