SU in and out transfers | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

SU in and out transfers

how come those lists look so much bigger than mind? Lol.
Because they have White and Thorpe listed twice?

We were the 3rd stop on their tours.

And OrangeHoops lists walkons.

Yeah they list literally everyone and there are names on there twice if they transferred more than once (see Thompson, Taurean).

I remember a guy from Canada who came in with John Karpis named Roger Rollocks. Not sure if he ever took the court here but I remember his picture in an SU basketball yearbook. Not sure if he transferred out or just left

Same for Devin Brennan-McBride and Dashawn Wright - did they transfer or just leave?
I remember having the Syracuse Basketball Yearbook with both of them in it. Was Calvin Perry on that team as well? Good old #24 if my foggy memory is correct. He may have been a couple years after.

Thank you for compiling these lists. It is absolutely amazing how few of these players amounted to anything on the court after leaving Syracuse.
Yep. Only ones I remember doing really well elsewhere were: Hughes, Manning, Harris, Sekunda, Lazor, Rock Lloyd, Bland and BJ. Maybe Duncan? That would actually make a pretty good lineup!

I remember a guy from Canada who came in with John Karpis named Roger Rollocks. Not sure if he ever took the court here but I remember his picture in an SU basketball yearbook. Not sure if he transferred out or just left

Same for Devin Brennan-McBride and Dashawn Wright - did they transfer or just leave?
And what about Josh Wright? Did he just drop out or transfer?

Doesn’t count this season

TRANSFERRED OUT
Name/Last Year Played/Years Played/Team Transferred To

Billy Keys 76/77/1 Tulsa
Reggie Powell 76/77/2 Pratt
Cliff Warwell 76/77/1 Ithaca
Rick Harmon 78/79/1 ODU
Mike Sheehey 80/81/2 St Bona
John Karpis 83/84/2 Boston U
George Papadakos 84/85/2 Mich St
Michael Brown 85/86/2 Clemson
Rodney Walker 86/87/2 Maryland
Keith Hughes 87/88/2 Rutgers
Earl Duncan 87/88/1 Rutgers
Matt Roe 88/89/3 Maryland
Richard Manning 89/90/2 Wash.
Tony Scott 89/90/2 Tex AM(DNP)
Anthony Harris 92/93/1 Hawaii
Glen Sekunda 92/93/2 Penn St
Charles Gelatt 93/94/1 DePaul
Bobby Lazor 95/96/2 Az St
David Patrick 95/96/1 SW Lou
Rock Lloyd 96/97/1 Long Beach St
Sam Spann 97/98/1 Fairfield
LeSean Howard 97/98/2 Hampton
Eric Williams 98/99/2 UMass
Tony Bland 99/00/2 San Diego St
DeShawn Williams 01/02/3 Iona
James Thues 01/02/2 Detroit
Mark Konecny 01/02/1 Lambuth U
Greg Davis 01/02/1 NC A&T
Louie McCroskey 05/06/3 Marist
Mike Jones 06/07/1 S Carolina(dnp)
Sean Williams 08/09/2 Cal St Ful
Dashonte Riley 09/10/2 E. Mich.
B J Johnson 14/15/2 LaSalle
Ron Patterson 14/15/2 IUPUI
Kaleb Joseph 15/16/2 Creighton
Chinonso Obokoh 15/16/3 St Bona
Taurean Thompson 16/17/1 S. Hall
Matt Moyer 17/18/1 Vanderbilt
Howard Washington 19/20 S.Ala.
Jalen Carey 19/20/2 Rhode Island
Brycen Goodine 19/20/1 Providence
Mass exodus from that first Boeheim team. They knew even then.

Doesn’t count this season

TRANSFERRED OUT
Name/Last Year Played/Years Played/Team Transferred To

Billy Keys 76/77/1 Tulsa
Reggie Powell 76/77/2 Pratt
Cliff Warwell 76/77/1 Ithaca

Rick Harmon 78/79/1 ODU
Mike Sheehey 80/81/2 St Bona
John Karpis 83/84/2 Boston U
George Papadakos 84/85/2 Mich St
Michael Brown 85/86/2 Clemson
Rodney Walker 86/87/2 Maryland
Keith Hughes 87/88/2 Rutgers
Earl Duncan 87/88/1 Rutgers
Matt Roe 88/89/3 Maryland
Richard Manning 89/90/2 Wash.
Tony Scott 89/90/2 Tex AM(DNP)
Anthony Harris 92/93/1 Hawaii
Glen Sekunda 92/93/2 Penn St
Charles Gelatt 93/94/1 DePaul
Bobby Lazor 95/96/2 Az St
David Patrick 95/96/1 SW Lou
Rock Lloyd 96/97/1 Long Beach St
Sam Spann 97/98/1 Fairfield
LeSean Howard 97/98/2 Hampton
Eric Williams 98/99/2 UMass
Tony Bland 99/00/2 San Diego St
DeShawn Williams 01/02/3 Iona
James Thues 01/02/2 Detroit
Mark Konecny 01/02/1 Lambuth U
Greg Davis 01/02/1 NC A&T
Louie McCroskey 05/06/3 Marist
Mike Jones 06/07/1 S Carolina(dnp)
Sean Williams 08/09/2 Cal St Ful
Dashonte Riley 09/10/2 E. Mich.
B J Johnson 14/15/2 LaSalle
Ron Patterson 14/15/2 IUPUI
Kaleb Joseph 15/16/2 Creighton
Chinonso Obokoh 15/16/3 St Bona
Taurean Thompson 16/17/1 S. Hall
Matt Moyer 17/18/1 Vanderbilt
Howard Washington 19/20 S.Ala.
Jalen Carey 19/20/2 Rhode Island
Brycen Goodine 19/20/1 Providence
Not that they were all-world players, but Reggie "Black Beauty" Powell and "Crazy" Cliff Warwell were fun to watch.

Sheehy shouldn't really count. He only got recruited/accepted to get his brother Tom to come to SU. As soon as Tom chose Virginia, he became irrelevant and probably shown the door. Thus his transfer.

A few years after he transferred, Tony Scott said he had been given really bad advice by his "group" and that he should never had transferred. He regretted it for a long time. I think others said they regretted it to. Tony Harris comes to mind.

Sheehy shouldn't really count. He only got recruited/accepted to get his brother Tom to come to SU. As soon as Tom chose Virginia, he became irrelevant and probably shown the door. Thus his transfer.

A few years after he transferred, Tony Scott said he had been given really bad advice by his "group" and that he should never had transferred. He regretted it for a long time. I think others said they regretted it to. Tony Harris comes to mind.
One time, early in a fall semester, we were looking to add a few players to our intra-mural team. We were at Archbold watching everyone that was playing and spotted one guy (among others) that looked pretty good, maybe good enough for our team. We took a vote and most of the guys thought we should invite him. After his game was over, we asked if he was interested. He said "No. I'm on the varsity". Turned out to be a freshman-year Mike Sheehey.

We weren't that surprised when he didn't stick.

Not that they were all-world players, but Reggie "Black Beauty" Powell and "Crazy" Cliff Warwell were fun to watch.
Lol “Black Beauty”?! Wow. Different times.

didnt Cliff guarantee 4 national championships?

Warwell was a real character! When he made a free throw, he'd back-pedal all the way back on D with his hand still up in a follow-through pose.

Last edited:
One time, early in a fall semester, we were looking to add a few players to our intra-mural team. We were at Archbold watching everyone that was playing and spotted one guy (among others) that looked pretty good, maybe good enough for our team. We took a vote and most of the guys thought we should invite him. After his game was over, we asked if he was interested. He said "No. I'm on the varsity". Turned out to be a freshman-year Mike Sheehey.

We weren't that surprised when he didn't stick.
And I think all of us in Rochester weren't either. More surprised that he got an offer from SU. He wasn't bad player for St Bona. Just looking at his stats and was surprised that he was at SU for 2 years & played 27 gms 0.9ppg. At Bonas in 2 years no starts but avg 13.5 ppg on 53% shooting. He mostly played the 3.

What's immediately obvious is that we "transferred in" considerably more talent than "transferred out". Fans can draw their own conclusions.

And I think all of us in Rochester weren't either. More surprised that he got an offer from SU. He wasn't bad player for St Bona. Just looking at his stats and was surprised that he was at SU for 2 years & played 27 gms 0.9ppg. At Bonas in 2 years no starts but avg 13.5 ppg on 53% shooting. He mostly played the 3.
His son Will had a pretty solid career at Indiana from 2010-‘14. Played against us in the tourney & with Fab Melo in HS.

Cliff Warwell was supposedly going to be the next Sweet D. I recall that in his first game he brought the ball up and, at midcourt and without a defender within a mile of him, whipped a behind the back pass to his backcourt mate who was about 20 ft to his right.

Bam! Coach was up off the bench and Cliff was out of the game, and getting a pretty good earful about how that hotdog $%^& might work in high school but would not be tolerated at SU. If I recall, he was flashy but had a rather casual attitude towards defense. He was gone after his frosh year and was never the next Sweet D nor the next anybody.

I could swear that some years back a poster mentioned being in...I want to say San Francisco...and was walking along wearing an SU jacket. Some guy hanging around on the street said "Hey, I played ball at Syracuse" and it was Cliff. That's my recollection anyway but don't quote me on it...or, if you do, be sure to use quotation marks and credit it to Bees or somebody other than me. Thanks.

I did this a few years ago and was thinking of updating it. Bees beat me to it but I might still do something with 'net points':

Bud and the Manchild were talking about players who had transferred from SU and how well they did. Jim Lersh, (the Manchild), asked for some examples of players who done well. He didn't think there were too many. Bobby Lazor and Tony Bland got mentioned. I'd done a post on this about a decade ago but that was 3-4 computers ago and I was unable to find it. I decided to do a project on it and discovered it had basically been done:

What i decided to do is to put together an all-star team of guys who transferred from SU and an all-star team of guys who transferred to SU: Who would win? (I’ll limit this to the Boeheim Era)

Going strictly by position:

CENTER
Richard Manning 17.3ppg 7.1rpg 0.9apg

FORWARDS
Keith Hughes 19.6ppg 9.0rpg 0.7apg
Bobby Lazor 17.4ppg 8.3rpg 2.3apg

GUARDS
Matt Roe 17.8ppg 5.5rpg 2.2apg
Earl Duncan 14.6ppg 2.7rpg 3.7apg

That would be a pretty good team. Here’s the SU team:

CENTER
LeRon Ellis 8.6ppg 5.9rpg 1.3apg

FORWARDS
Wes Johnson 16.5ppg 8.5rpg 2.2apg
Leo Rautins 14.2ppg 7.3rpg 2.2apg

GUARDS
Jason Cipolla 13.2ppg 3.5rpg 2.8apg
Michael Lloyd 12.5ppg 3.2rpg 5.2apg

I think that team would be very competitive against the above team. I especially like our forwards.

Here’s a list of guys who transferred from SU and scored in double figures elsewhere. I’ve added who they were playing behind when they were here for context.

Keith Hughes to Rutgers 19.6ppg was behind Derrck Coleman
Rich Manning to Washington 17.8ppg was behind LeRon Ellis
Matt Roe to Maryland 17.8ppg was a starter (still don’t know why he transferred)
Bobby Lazor to Arizona State 17.4ppg was behind John Wallace
Rock Lloyd to Long Beach State 17.4ppg was behind Marius Janulis
Tony Bland to San Diego State 16.1ppg shared with Preston Shumpert(669 minutes to 668)
DeShaun Williams to Iona 14.8ppg was a starter (punched out Otto the Orange)
Earl Duncan to Rutgers Rutgers 14.6ppg was behind Sherman Douglas
Anthony Harris to Hawaii 14.0ppg was behind Mike Hopkins
Mike Sheehey to St. Bonaventure 13.5ppg was behind Eric Santifer
Xzavier Gaines to NW Missouri 13.2ppg was behind Louie McCrosky
Glenn Sekunda to Penn State 13.0ppg was behind John Wallace
Louie McCrosky to Marist 12.1ppg was behind Eric Devendorf
LeSean Howard to Hampton 12.0ppg was behind Todd Burgan and Marius Janulis (F-G)
George Papadakos to Michigan St. 10.1ppg was behind Rony Seikaly

While these guys did well, their playing time here was usually limited by being behind a superior player, or perhaps a more experienced one with a skill level in a similar range.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom