SU @ L'Ville | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

SU @ L'Ville

Watch louisville play and then watch villanova play and you have your answer

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I watched nova. I have watched Louisville. We win or lose with Defense. James or no James. And you know that too.

Too many of us are focused on our offensive shortcomings. While we keep doing this we are missing out on the fact that this is an ELITE defensive team. So is louisville. According to pomeroy this is a matchup of the best two defensive teams in the country. If mcw and Triche outplay smith and siva we win. They are more than capable of doing so.
Although it might not necessarily be up to the guard play (ie, CJ, Rak, Dieng, Behanan, etc) to determine who wins, I completely agree that we are a defensive minded team, have been for a long time. This game will be decided on defensive intensity and execution of both team's inconsistent offenses. Either way, I'm looking for a war, and I am not counting us out of this game. Believe in us, we're 4-0 in conference, all physical battles.

"Cuse gets "rolled" by no one. I can see a close game getting away late in the 2nd half with a Cardinal run, but "rolled"? Nah

Although it might not necessarily be up to the guard play (ie, CJ, Rak, Dieng, Behanan, etc) to determine who wins, I completely agree that we are a defensive minded team, have been for a long time. This game will be decided on defensive intensity and execution of both team's inconsistent offenses. Either way, I'm looking for a war, and I am not counting us out of this game. Believe in us, we're 4-0 in conference, all physical battles.
It's going to be ugly. Defensive battle. Last play of the game for the win type game.

I definitely think its going to be an ugly one. Lville is a pretty strong favorite to me, especially without James to open up their D. But we can win

Watch louisville play and then watch villanova play and you have your answer

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yea. For the first time in a looooooong time, I truly think Syracuse has a less than 20% chance in this one. I wonder what the KenPom this says.

A Road win down your 6th man against #3 teams in about the most basketball crazy state commonwealth in the Union would be tremendous, but man, Ville is pretty dam good too you know.

Russ Smith, Dieng, Chane Bonanan(sp?) is real good too and comes back today, Blackshear, Siva. They are really good.

We might suprise them or win a grinder but getting run off the floor is much more likely

Kenpom.com has them as fourth us, us as fifth. They will predict a close loss. I think some people are being incredibly pessimistic. What will be their game plan to blow us out?

Kenpom.com has them as fourth us, us as fifth. They will predict a close loss. I think some people are being incredibly pessimistic. What will be their game plan to blow us out?

Not making any predictions, but you put this one on a tee.

-- Overload one side of the zone, make a ton of open threes.
-- Handcheck the crap out of our mistake-prone point guard, convert turnovers into layups and/or fouls on our players.
-- Profit.

(Same thing they did to us pretty much every game from 2007 to 2011.)

Except you are missing one key point. They aren't an incredibly efficient offensive team either.

I think it will be a defensive battle. There guards are short and will struggle against our zone. MCW will need to be able to handle the ball pressure from their defense. Whomever wins the turnover battle will win the game.

UL is up 40-15 on USF right as the 2nd half just started, the Cards are only shooting 41% and have made only three 3's. But they've outreboudned USF 31-11. We are going to have be extremely active on the boards, I think whoever wins the rebound battle will end up winning the game, assuming the turnover's are close.

UL is up 40-15 on USF right as the 2nd half just started, the Cards are only shooting 41% and have made only three 3's. But they've outreboudned USF 31-11. We are going to have be extremely active on the boards, I think whoever wins the rebound battle will end up winning the game, assuming the turnover's are close.

You are aware that we dominated USF on the boards too correct? In the first game last year we won the TO battle by 8. In the second game we lost the TO by 1 but out shot them. Louisville is not a great rebounding team they were even verse Seton Hall and only out rebounded Providence by 2, they lost the rebounding battle verse Kentucky by 3. It's about TOs

If Siva doesn't lose control of himself, he and Smith will give our guards all they can handle. But the guy I fear the most is Behanan. He hasn't looked all that great this year, but he is capable of being a beast. I think Christmas and company are in for a rugged game.
Having said all of that, I believe we can win on solid defense with DC2 filling up the lane. I'd rather be somewhat optimistic than totally realistic. :D

Pomeroy right now projects Lville to win by 6, with a 71% chance of winning. Their rating will go slightly up after today, ours a little down. But its not going to move too much from the 71%.

Louisville is a pretty good offensive rebounding team; 33rd in t he country. Rebounding margin is a little misleading, especially for a team like Louisville that forces so many turnovers.

I think the first 4 minutes will tell the tale of the game...If we come out flat we are screwed, if we come out and play well, and get into an offensive rhythm we have a better chance at keeping it close.

interestingly , the press could benefit mcw - he is better on the move( arkansas) than he is when the offense stalls and he is being pressured. arkansas is nothing compared to louisville but i think like last year we are happy to have the game speed up to try and score in transition. the key will be attacking the rim and not trying to spot up from deep early on. im curious how pitino approaches it as he called off the hounds a lot last year worried about su in transition.

Gonna be there! Can't wait!!!
That's great. I'm going to be in Louisville most of the week but have to fly back home Thursday night. Trust me when I say that I would give my left nut to stay in Louisville for a couple extra days. Hopefully there will be some Orange there to offset the large Louisville crowd.

interestingly , the press could benefit mcw - he is better on the move( arkansas) than he is when the offense stalls and he is being pressured. arkansas is nothing compared to louisville but i think like last year we are happy to have the game speed up to try and score in transition. the key will be attacking the rim and not trying to spot up from deep early on. im curious how pitino approaches it as he called off the hounds a lot last year worried about su in transition.

Pitino doesn't do the trunk monkey. His press is not designed to increase the tempo.

Marsh--you are spot on. It is a very good thing that we have an entire week to prepare.

Hope we shock the world next Saturday, but it will be tough on the road without our 2nd leading scorer.

Pitino doesn't do the trunk monkey. His press is not designed to increase the tempo.

im aware its not intended to speed up the tempo- its to force teams out of their offensive sets and increase turnovers.. it can backfire against teams that like to push the pace if they can take care of the ball. if you use it to help get some easy baskets you can offset its value.

im aware its not intended to speed up the tempo- its to force teams out of their offensive sets and increase turnovers.. it can backfire against teams that like to push the pace if they can take care of the ball. if you use it to help get some easy baskets you can offset its value.
Exactly. If it didn't have a downside how can people explain Pitino's decision not to use it last year.

I think if he applies it this year we need MCW and BT to aggressively break through and get it to CJ to attack in the unsettled situation. The resulting foul trouble and easy points could have the strategy backfire on Pitino.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CB277777

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom