SU @ L'Ville | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

SU @ L'Ville

Running with us plays to our strength. I would think they would rather have to play us in the half court. That way they have dieng available at the hoop to guard against mcw, bt, and cj going to the basket.

Exactly. If it didn't have a downside how can people explain Pitino's decision not to use it last year.

I think if he applies it this year we need MCW and BT to aggressively break through and get it to CJ to attack in the unsettled situation. The resulting foul trouble and easy points could have the strategy backfire on Pitino.

The reason we didn't press that hard last season were the incredible amount of injuries we had, especially in the first game. Pitino played to March, big time, expecting the late season loss to you guys and living with it. Same with the last game loss to USF. After that, the "real season" commenced.

You can definitely expect pressure this season. UofL has a bunch of different presses, just like we have a variety of defenses. Actually, this year's best D has been our man to man. But we'll press, one way or the other, all game long.

The real reason that you didn't press us last year was that we would have slaughtered you in transition.

Agreed, Dion and Scoop specifically would have loved every minute of that.

The real reason that you didn't press us last year was that we would have slaughtered you in transition.

This may very well be true. Not that it ever worked for you before, lol.

This may very well be true. Not that it ever worked for you before, lol.

images

The reason we didn't press that hard last season were the incredible amount of injuries we had, especially in the first game. Pitino played to March, big time, expecting the late season loss to you guys and living with it. Same with the last game loss to USF. After that, the "real season" commenced.

You can definitely expect pressure this season. UofL has a bunch of different presses, just like we have a variety of defenses. Actually, this year's best D has been our man to man. But we'll press, one way or the other, all game long.
Oh please, Pitino in no way thought "I will lose to the 'Cuse for the value it will bring in March". He adjusted his strategy to try and counter the personnel SU had and was unsuccessful.

And we'll see if he presses all game. Because really, how long will he stay with it if MCW and BT break it and get it to an attacking CJ for easy buckets and fouls. The starting guard play is a strength for SU, although the depth is questionable. It will be interesting to see how long Pitino stays with it if SU is making them pay.

Oh please, Pitino in no way thought "I will lose to the 'Cuse for the value it will bring in March". He adjusted his strategy to try and counter the personnel SU had and was unsuccessful.

And we'll see if he presses all game. Because really, how long will he stay with it if MCW and BT break it and get it to an attacking CJ for easy buckets and fouls. The starting guard play is a strength for SU, although the depth is questionable. It will be interesting to see how long Pitino stays with it if SU is making them pay.

This won't be popular here in the pre-game smack element, but Pitino and UofL play two halves of basketball. You won't see the real press until the second half, count on it. But it might be somewhat of a pain in the arse in the first half. Second half, about the time your guards feel they have nothing to fear, I think they will be wrong.

two halves of basketball .. it's almost as if coaches make adjustments during halftime ...

Hopefully, the greater Louisville metro area gets really excited when the Cards hit 5-6 threes in the first half and then wonder where their offense went in the second half.

This won't be popular here in the pre-game smack element, but Pitino and UofL play two halves of basketball. You won't see the real press until the second half, count on it. But it might be somewhat of a pain in the arse in the first half. Second half, about the time your guards feel they have nothing to fear, I think they will be wrong.
That sounds a lot different than "But we'll press, one way or another, all game long". One of the strategic advantages of LVille using this press was to exhaust the SU starters and test the SU guard depth. If the press is not applied in the first half that particular aspect or advantage of the press really won't come into play.

If the idea is to now apply the real pressure in the second half as a surprise, good luck with that.

You did not press in the first half against UCon because Siva was on the bench with foul trouble. You know that, so why are you pretending otherwise?

One good thing about losing your second best scorer, someone else will become your second best scorer! How's that for half full?

You did not press in the first half against UCon because Siva was on the bench with foul trouble. You know that, so why are you pretending otherwise?

Actually, we did press in the first half. It's a soft press. We often use it as well to funnel into traps just over half court. We have a slew of presses, devoted to particular strategies. Believe me when I say losing Peyton would not stop the pressing when we want to apply it. Kevin Ware is excellent on the press and in half court traps. The thing with pressing is we press after made baskets. If we aren't making a lot of baskets, we don't press as much.

The press will absolutely bother us. This is going to be an ugly game with two offensively challenged teams lately. I doubt we'll go much over 60 and same with them.

Let's be honest here; Louisville is probably the greatest pressing team that has ever existed. I doubt we'll be able to get the ball over halfcourt in the second half.
Freaking steel curtain.

The press will absolutely bother us. This is going to be an ugly game with two offensively challenged teams lately. I doubt we'll go much over 60 and same with them.
First to 60 wins.

Let's be honest here; Louisville is probably the greatest pressing team that has ever existed. I doubt we'll be able to get the ball over halfcourt in the second half.

After reading that great analyst from Louisville, I predict we lose by 249 points.

Only if you guys don't press till the second half

come on they have like 200 different variations of the press. for every cuse possession we're gonna see a different type of press. we may set the record for turnovers and 5 second calls.

come on they have like 200 different variations of the press. for every cuse possession we're gonna see a different type of press. we may set the record for turnovers and 5 second calls.
You never know though...Pitino may just let this one get away for the betterment of his team in March...hard to say which direction he will go with it until after the game is played. Pitino is one tough read.

You never know though...Pitino may just let this one get away for the betterment of his team in March...hard to say which direction he will go with it until after the game is played. Pitino is one tough read.

Another Louisville fan here. I want to say right off, the reason we did not press you last year was that we were afraid to. Pitino stated as much about six different times last year. He wanted to get the Cards running and had not been able to due to our injuries. He was very clear though that he planned to go to an uptempo/pressing style except for Syracuse and UK. He knew we could not run with you (or them) last year.

I'm not sure what he thinks this year. It will be a fantastic game Saturday. Forgive some of our exhuberant fans that have been quoted on here. We are super high this year about our team and Saturday will serve to educate us on whether this is warranted. Also, we some times have a hard time interacting properly with others because we are so often confronted by the big boring nation. And please, don't throw everyone into the Kentucky hillbilly bus with the cayutes.

I also want to say that I am impressed with your message board. Today is my first day here and I have not visited a board with more reasonable and educated feedback. I have been joining some of the ACC boards to better educate myself on our new league and you guys show warranted pride in your team while remaining classy, realistic and informative.

It is going to be a heck of a game! Hope you don't mind me hanging around a little to throw in a UofL perspective once in a while. I won't abuse the privelage.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CB277777

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom