SU opens -3.5 over WMU | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

SU opens -3.5 over WMU

I might be in the minority here and I will preface with I love what HCDFB is doing and I do believe if people are patient he will get us to where we all want to be. That said as much as we may hate to say it as fans but both BC and NC State have done better than us in recent years and for example qualifying BCs win over Florida State as what ever seems lame. If Cuse beat Florida State it would be a great win and if we had gone to 6 bowl games these last years we would be pretty jazzed about it. Dunno, I guess sometimes it's all right to tip the cap to the other side. Unless we are talking Rutgers then all bets are off.

I'm not sleeping on BC. Athlon has them with the #1 offensive line unit, and the #2 rb unit in the ACC. Of the 6 units ranked, BC had 4 units in the top 5. Only Clemson and Miami had more ranked than BC. Unanimous pick for their sleeper team...

They are going to be better than a 5.5 line.

Last edited:
It is super funny and super accurate. 4 bowls in 6 years. That's the barometer in the North East IMO. Get the team to bowls year in and year out and hope every 6 years u can put together a senior led team that can sniff new years. It's the model we are going with at Syracuse now that we are gonna give up playing substantive OOC teams. It's smart.

I don’t want to get into what’s realistic for NE football or not. But I prefer the big swing with a system built for an unique venue to 7-6 plodding meathead ball. He, like Doreen and a Clawson were given time. Here’s to higher ceilings and more years for Babers.

I might be in the minority here and I will preface with I love what HCDFB is doing and I do believe if people are patient he will get us to where we all want to be. That said as much as we may hate to say it as fans but both BC and NC State have done better than us in recent years and for example qualifying BCs win over Florida State as what ever seems lame. If Cuse beat Florida State it would be a great win and if we had gone to 6 bowl games these last years we would be pretty jazzed about it. Dunno, I guess sometimes it's all right to tip the cap to the other side. Unless we are talking Rutgers then all bets are off.

A win over last years FSU team is 100% worth qualifying. We would have loved a win down there and were damn close. But it would have not been without a giant asterisk. I would love to have bowled 4 of the last 6. I think Addazzio has done a decent job. But that’s shooting to low, IMO.

In other words - .500 is ok. He’s been consistently mediocre. I want better for Syracuse and think Babers will get us there if he sticks around and/or if we’re patient.

(Doreen and Addazzio have been at their schools longer, too)

I'm not sleeping on BC. Athlon has them with the #1 offensive line unit, and the #2 rb unit in the ACC. Of the 6 units ranked, BC had 4 units in the top 5. Only Clemson and Miami had more ranked than BC. Unanimous pick for their sleeper team...

They return an offense ranked in the 100’s per S&P+... their D is legit. 5 wins is what I got.

They return an offense ranked in the 100’s per S&P+... their D is legit. 5 wins is what I got.
Things like that explain the $$ line... Their pass can't get worse... Ranked 113. Run ranked 25. If you can't pull top talent, I think you can do pretty well with a good run game, and defense. For their recruiting classes being near the bottom of the ACC, they do well...

For us, we have the #18 passing game. #70 run game..

Things like that explain the $$ line... Their pass can't get worse... Ranked 113. Run ranked 25. If you can't pull top talent, I think you can do pretty well with a good run game, and defense. For their recruiting classes being near the bottom of the ACC, they do well...

For us, we have the #18 passing game. #70 run game..

Yeah - no doubt. Dillon changes things for them. But I'm not seeing a huge improvement over last year.

Even without improvement, they were 7-5 regular season. 4-4 ACC. We were 2-6 ACC. I can see us getting 6 wins. Our #18 passing didn't get us much. Their #25 rushing got them 7. I don't see them dropping off, to 5 wins. You may hate meathead football...but a good running game breeds consistency.

Those differences in opinion explain the 5.5 line. Me? It's the most outta whack line in the ACC, and I'm no BC fan.

I think the BC line moves up.
While I agree with Cuse line, I think national perception may move that line down.
FSU? Beats me. I think we can take them at the dome.

Last edited:
Even without improvement, they were 7-5 regular season. 4-4 ACC. We were 2-6 ACC. I can see us getting 6 wins. Our #18 passing didn't get us much. Their #25 rushing got them 7. I don't see them dropping off, to 5 wins. You may hate meathead football...but a good running game breeds consistency.

Those differences in opinion explain the 5.5 line. Me? It's the most outta whack line in the ACC, and I'm no BC fan.

While I agree with Cuse line, I think national perception may move that line down.

I don't think we'll have answers until the season gets going. I respect meathead football, but it has it's limitations. We'll see if they can limit those. They didn't have to play against Dungey last year - and we got destroyed, predictably.

I think people are forgetting what we looked like mid-season with a better D and a healthy ED. We were really close to beating Miami, FSU and MTSU. Within a score of LSU in the 4th Q. He went out and everything snowballed into a horrible ending. I don't mind national perception driving things down - I remember pre-injury Cuse :)

The meathead comment was for those on the board that say they hate it... Meathead hangover... take out Adazzios worst year, and it's good for 7 wins a year. Sounds about right to me. The consistency brings wins... Now add a passing game, and you've got something.

Nationally, only the people paying attention may know that we were in every Dungey loss.(even that 5 pic Miami game). I think the line reflects that.

Looks like Phil Steele agrees with me. Haven't seen the mag, but I've seen those quoting it, ranking BC at #23, or top 20..

I'm guessing Phil Steele, alone, has moved BC's line up from 5.5.. (which seemed absurd to some of us). If you got in at 5.5, well, all right.

Addazio is building a sustainable program. Whether the ceiling is nauseating for us higher brow Syracuse fans is anyone's guess but he's smacking together seasons that yield bowl games, extra practices and some momentum. He has more bowl games than our last 4 coaches combined (GERG, Marrone, Shafer, Dino). Let that settle in for a second.

shows you that if you can get solid line play you can compete and he comes up with good rbs it seems every year that can run over you or make you miss, we haven't had that since run DLC and he got hurt.

...and I'm not sleeping on them because they beat us 42-14.

Addazio is building a sustainable program. Whether the ceiling is nauseating for us higher brow Syracuse fans is anyone's guess but he's smacking together seasons that yield bowl games, extra practices and some momentum. He has more bowl games than our last 4 coaches combined (GERG, Marrone, Shafer, Dino). Let that settle in for a second.
Lol...my vote for one of the funniest and true lines on the board this year. I quote “Whether the ceiling is nauseating for us higher brow Syracuse fans is anyone’s guess...”. Damn that is funny...we really do have some snobby/holier then thou fans in our ranks...oh well it takes all kinds...great line though. Carry on!!
4CC64B74-124D-454D-9384-BA77445837E5.gif

It's not nauseating. It is impressive. I wish we'd gone to all those bowl games.

But C'mon. You think BC fans are excited for 7-5 as a ceiling? Just prior to last season, there were hot seat rumors. I think Babers can get us to consistent bowl games and achieve a higher ceiling. I don't feel bad about having bigger dreams and I don't think Syracuse (or BC fans) should be called "high brow" for it...

David Hale sees 'Cuse

WMU - Win
Wagner - Win
FSU - Loss
UConn - Win
Clemson - Loss
Pitt - Loss
UNC - Win
NCST - Win
Wake - Loss
Louisville - Win
ND - Loss
BC - Loss

6 wins

David Hale sees 'Cuse

WMU - Win
Wagner - Win
FSU - Loss
UConn - Win
Clemson - Loss
Pitt - Loss
UNC - Win
NCST - Win
Wake - Loss
Louisville - Win
ND - Loss
BC - Loss

6 wins

That and a bowl win would be a very solid season for us.

David Hale sees 'Cuse

WMU - Win
Wagner - Win
FSU - Loss
UConn - Win
Clemson - Loss
Pitt - Loss
UNC - Win
NCST - Win
Wake - Loss
Louisville - Win
ND - Loss
BC - Loss

6 wins
Chalk up a W for both Pitt and Wake Forest and let's say 9 - 4 which includes a bowl victory. The time has come for the CUSE to start beating Pitt and Wake on a yearly basis.

David Hale sees 'Cuse

WMU - Win
Wagner - Win
FSU - Loss
UConn - Win
Clemson - Loss
Pitt - Loss
UNC - Win
NCST - Win
Wake - Loss
Louisville - Win
ND - Loss
BC - Loss

6 wins
Glad the bc line was adjusted.

I'll take 3 ACC wins. I'm just thinking one of them will be FSU. Love to see 4(or more)

Woah! Did the Gators and Seminoles switch conferences?
The ‘70’s were a crazy time...

(Florida either thought about jumping to the ACC in the ‘70’s, or they actually tried to jump. I can’t remember.)

It's not nauseating. It is impressive. I wish we'd gone to all those bowl games.

But C'mon. You think BC fans are excited for 7-5 as a ceiling? Just prior to last season, there were hot seat rumors. I think Babers can get us to consistent bowl games and achieve a higher ceiling. I don't feel bad about having bigger dreams and I don't think Syracuse (or BC fans) should be called "high brow" for it...

We act like bowl seasons for our peer schools is nothing but we can’t put it together for a few years straight. So yes, we are crazy to dismiss our peers when we haven’t seen any results in 20 years or so on a sustained basis.

It is nauseating to me because I remember Syracuse as a team the country did not want to face in the early 90s. We had nfl talent everywhere. I have downshifted my expectations in that I am satisfied if we are playing meaningful games down the stretch.

Yes I think BC fans are happy they are slowly getting back to respectable. they are doing it the way they always did which is with stout lines, solid running games and a physical d. It’s a recipe that works. We’re going w the aerial attack which i’m Fine with b/c we have a dome but it may take us longer.

As much as i don't like ... until we prove them wrong ......We are Cuse FB

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom