SU opens -5 over Wisky... | Syracusefan.com

SU opens -5 over Wisky...

690West

Moneyline Master
Post Paradise letdown or full speed ahead?

Good question. I think it will be a close SU win. I think Wisconsin matches up well against us.

Also, Wisky would be like calling Syracuse 'Cuice' or something. We would be pissed if outsiders were calling us that. No Wisconsin person knows what Wisky is. Even wiCuse said so. Many people do it on this board and it's very bizarre. Now 'Sconnie is another story.

Matchup favors us. They do not have a wide body in the middle to swat drives and rebound, or anyone that will make havoc with our zone. We have better athletes that are more versatile. This isn't aTm, not even Ucon, although they are well coached. If their 3 point shots do not fall they are finished. Even if they improve from their last game, which they should, they are unlikely to go from dreadful to dead eye. If they shoot close to 30%, but not above 30%, from 3, we should put them away. My strategy would be to take 3's and drive with the intention of getting their three 4's in foul trouble.

I see us winning a low-scoring competitive game, something like 58-51.

Good question. I think it will be a close SU win. I think Wisconsin matches up well against us.

Also, Wisky would be like calling Syracuse 'Cuice' or something. We would be pissed if outsiders were calling us that. No Wisconsin person knows what Wisky is. Even wiCuse said so. Many people do it on this board and it's very bizarre. Now 'Sconnie is another story.
I have never heard of Wisky or Sconnie. Why mess with a perfectly good name? Wis-cohn-sin. When I say "Wisconsin" everyone knows I'm from there. I don't hear the difference myself.

The Badgers will be ready for us but I don't think they'll have enough juice for the Cuse.

Wisky is actually pretty common, in my experience. I have never heard of 'Sconnie.

It's not just this board. Practically every board or comments section I visit has people refer to Wisconsin as Wisky. We're not unique in that regard.

Wisconsin has been inconsistent all year. They have had one impressive game - at VCU. Struggled vs Georgetown and Oklahoma.

Even one of Wisconsin trademark of really pounding cupcakes is not happening.

Either way I would take extended odds if I was betting - Wisconsin to win, or Syracuse to win by double digits. I think that is the best value.

It's not just this board. Practically every board or comments section I visit has people refer to Wisconsin as Wisky. We're not unique in that regard.

I wasn't trying to be a d#^k. A friend from Milwaukee (a lurker on this board) brought it up and couldn't understand it.

I apologize for offending the Badgers. I was just doing a quick and fun abbreviation for the subject line. I forgot it was 2015. Admins feel free to fix.
NO APOLOGY NEEDED!!! It was quick and fun, and I thought my tone was fun, too. :eek:

I've heard wisky many times. They even had a discussion on one of the Wisconsin message boards a few years ago about how much they hate being called that. They have heard the term unless they live under a rock. Why are people even offended by this ? Wow!

I wasn't trying to be a d#^k. A friend from Milwaukee (a lurker on this board) brought it up and couldn't understand it.

I wasn't trying to be a d*** either haha. Just noting that it happens elsewhere.

NO APOLOGY NEEDED!!! It was quick and fun, and I thought my tone was fun, too. :eek:

It's all good. We're all just messin with each other. Lets get back to figuring out whether we cover this spread tonight!!

One would think Wisky will shoot better. If Jones could be a problem then Hayes could be a problem as well. I think we win but it's going to be a nail biter, imo. Hope I'm wrong!

One would think Wisky will shoot better. If Jones could be a problem then Hayes could be a problem as well. I think we win but it's going to be a nail biter, imo. Hope I'm wrong!
Hayes will be a problem for every team they play. And, no, Koenig won't shoot like he did the other night. Even with that, though, they just don't have the players. Obviously our guys could lay a big fat egg and Koenig/Hayes could be enough but I tend to doubt it very much.

further, they just don't play the defense they played in previous years - can't stop dribble penetration to save their lives and no rim protection whatsoever

"Wisky" is a legit name. It was used as the nickname for the battleship USS Wisconsin by her crew. BB-64 was a proud ship decorated with 6 battle stars from WWII all the way to the Gulf War and should be a source of pride for all in the state.

USS_Wisconsin_BB-64.jpg

I think this game has the feel of one of the Bahamas or the St. Bonnaventure games a big time game lots of excitement.
Hate to see Wisky having a rough season, but we will keep it classy.
Cuse by 7.
Go Cuse!

Thought this was a little light with a 4pt homecourt; though I guess Mich St is the same favorite vs L'ville. Think the turnaround time off a tourney win is just right. Long enough to rest, not so long that they've been told how great they are around campus for a whole week. Of course we're not going to shoot 47% from 3 all year so still don't know how good of a team we got.

edit: Regarding my turnaround theory, I now have to go back & look at how many days separated the Kansas in KC game from nearly losing to a horrible UVA team in the Dome.
3 days. Meh.

Last edited: