SU opens 7 point favorite | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

SU opens 7 point favorite

The board consensus is the last 5 years are not a complete disappointment because of JB's post-season "Cinderella" success. The premise is that we confuse opponents in the tournament because they've never seen the zone. Everyone uses that premise to explain our underwhelming ledger in ACC play where teams and coaches are FAMILIAR. So why is it so crazy to suggest that our defense would be less effective in a best-of-5 or best-of-7? Yeah there's some hyperbole in there to drive home the point.

There may be some tiny seed of truth in the "unfamiliarity with the zone" mantra, but it is largely just lazy BS. Was Virginia unfamiliar with the zone when we beat them in the tournament? Even if people get more familiar with it, what is the alternative? To play man to man, which every team has vast experience facing?

There is very little logic to all the zone takes you see parroted. The zone is a defense, it is intended to make it difficult for the opponent to score, just like man to man. It seems to be the only defense where if it doesn't shut out opposing teams, it is considered a failure or a gimmick. Why is that, I wonder? Spoiler: I don't actually wonder, I know it is because of weak minded biases against things that are different.

There may be some tiny seed of truth in the "unfamiliarity with the zone" mantra, but it is largely just lazy BS. Was Virginia unfamiliar with the zone when we beat them in the tournament? Even if people get more familiar with it, what is the alternative? To play man to man, which every team has vast experience facing?

There is very little logic to all the zone takes you see parroted. The zone is a defense, it is intended to make it difficult for the opponent to score, just like man to man. It seems to be the only defense where if it doesn't shut out opposing teams, it is considered a failure or a gimmick. Why is that, I wonder? Spoiler: I don't actually wonder, I know it is because of weak minded biases against things that are different.
idk. One take I buy is that in the tourney, teams that are unfamiliar with it are at a big disadvantage, whether or not the zone is at its best. Especially on a short turnaround (e.g. Thurs/Sat).

I have never bet against us. If I was gambling again, then I’d have to throw something on Pitt ML. Such a live dog. Tough to not throw something on ‘em.

- time for battle to get on track. He didn’t play well in the last game against pitt, either.

- don’t let Wilson frame hit a bunch of threes

- no stupid fouls. But who am I kidding

Well my first point had no chance of coming together. The second point speaks for itself. And the third one? Eh. Could have been worse. But still had some patented soft fouls on our “centers”.

Well my first point had no chance of coming together. The second point speaks for itself. And the third one? Eh. Could have been worse. But still had some patented soft fouls on our “centers”.
They’ve gone0 for 3 no Battle can’t stop Frame and just got awful stupid fouls

- time for battle to get on track. He didn’t play well in the last game against pitt, either.

- don’t let Wilson frame hit a bunch of threes

- no stupid fouls. But who am I kidding

Well, not TOO many stupid fouls but there were some. Now about the other two ...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoachDiddi

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom