SU - PSU football series | Syracusefan.com

SU - PSU football series

Should SU cancel their football series with PSU?

• Yes

Votes: 26 49.1%
  • No

Votes: 27 50.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

rrlbees

Have you donated to an SU NIL collective?
Staff member
Based upon everything that is coming out about so wide a range of people at PSU and the community.

I don't know that we should do that. Punishes our program more than theirs. They can fill the date with a Mac team at home in front of 100k and not think twice. SU was looking forward to that NYC event, I'm sure our kids were looking forward to playing them.

Unrelated, but if Rutgers thought one of their angles into the Big 10 was that the league would want to provide PSU an eastern rival, I'd say they should stop expecting the league to do PSU any favors.

I would be fine with our administration distancing ourselves from that program for a while. I vote to cancel the series.

We aren't talking recruiting violations here, we are talking about child rape and a subsequent massive cover-up all the way to the school president (and maybe higher).

I would be fine with our administration distancing ourselves from that program for a while. I vote to cancel the series.

We aren't talking recruiting violations here, we are talking about child rape and a subsequent massive cover-up all the way to the school president (and maybe higher).

Not sure that we can cxl the Meadowlands game since there is a third party involved. But I would definitely cxl the home and home.

I don't know that we should do that. Punishes our program more than theirs. They can fill the date with a Mac team at home in front of 100k and not think twice. SU was looking forward to that NYC event, I'm sure our kids were looking forward to playing them.

Unrelated, but if Rutgers thought one of their angles into the Big 10 was that the league would want to provide PSU an eastern rival, I'd say they should stop expecting the league to do PSU any favors.

Sometimes morals come before competition.

it needed to be done and it needed to be done yesterday. I hope once one school OOC cancels, all of them do, and PSU is forced to fill its remaining games with 1-AAs.

I say play them--we might actually win. ;)

But I kind of feel they should self impose a year "death penalty."

I guess I just hate anything that punishes us because those involved with our program did nothing wrong. But if everyone in our program voted to cancel, obviously I (or anyone) would support that.

Thing is, if this is a foregone conclusion then it's not going to be SU out on an island as the only school with morals. That whole place is going to crumble and we won't have a series to cancel anyway.

I can see postponing the 2013 game in NYC, but cancelling the games in 2020 and 2021 seems a little harsh.

We did play Baylor in 2006 after the Bliss scandal.

Never play Sandusky, Paterno or the members of the administration implicated. Other than that it is a non-question. What is the end game result you are looking to achieve? The only one you would accomplish is that you did not play PSU when all is said and done. If that in itself is the goal then do it - but we all know it isn't the ultimate goal. Is it to make a statement? A statement that doesn't make any difference isn't worth mnaking.

It is a game between colleges - play the game. Creating anything more would speak more about us than them. I completely believe SU would never realistically consider such an option. Look at the game last Saturday - the game itself was a nice break from what is going on and none of the players on PSU had anything to do with this unreal tragedy. No way I am blaming those kids merely because they are wearing Blue & White. Kill all those involved with the coverup but anyone trying to make a statement by conceptually punishing PSU but having no real impact on those that caused and perpetuated the real tragedies that happend won't get my vote. By the way I was in complete support of "I won't play Sun City".

Based upon everything that is coming out about so wide a range of people at PSU and the community.

I respetfully disagree:

1.) It would feel like piling on the good people who are at PSU. Yes, they are there and I trust they will remain long after the dross is cleared out. It will be good for everyone if PSU can get its act together. SU should support them. Otherwise, it smacks of punishing the child for the crimes of the parent.

2.) How far do you want to go with morality-in-scheduling? I understand the argument that SU should act because it's a hideous, once-in-a-lifetime scandal. Then, what about murder w/ attempted cover-up? What about rape w/ attempted cover-up? Is there a line? Where do you draw it?

3.) You seem like a reasonable person. I would trust you to use a reasonable standard for applying moral rules. But what happens when less reasonable people and schools do the same. I'm not sure we want to go down this road.

4.) Don't we have the courts and the NCAA for situation like this? Does SU really need to step in? I could see a very strong case for cutting off the series if the NCAA and courts exonoerated PSU. Doubt that's going to happen, though.

5.) I think SU would seem sanctimonious. If PSU is forever defined by this one event (and it will be for a generation), then we need to accept that SU can be defined by one event too... which means SU has a lifetime cheat running the hoops program. I agree with people who say that NCAA violations are small change compared to this. Doesn't mean there will not be blowback, however.

This reminds me of the 1980 and 1984 Olympic boycotts. They hurt the athletes as much as anyone and set off a tit-for-tat that probably didn't matter in the grand scheme.

i wouldnt mind if it happened because perv st shut down its program for 2 years-

to me the whole school has the perv plague because they covered it up so long because football was god to them-but they havent shown alot of class so i dont expect whats right to be done by them

I say we wait until the entire truth comes out about everything and everyone and all of the facts are established before we do anything drastic.

I respetfully disagree:

1.) It would feel like piling on the good people who are at PSU. Yes, they are there and I trust they will remain long after the dross is cleared out. It will be good for everyone if PSU can get its act together. SU should support them. Otherwise, it smacks of punishing the child for the crimes of the parent.

2.) How far do you want to go with morality-in-scheduling? I understand the argument that SU should act because it's a hideous, once-in-a-lifetime scandal. Then, what about murder w/ attempted cover-up? What about rape w/ attempted cover-up? Is there a line? Where do you draw it?

3.) You seem like a reasonable person. I would trust you to use a reasonable standard for applying moral rules. But what happens when less reasonable people and schools do the same. I'm not sure we want to go down this road.

4.) Don't we have the courts and the NCAA for situation like this? Does SU really need to step in? I could see a very strong case for cutting off the series if the NCAA and courts exonoerated PSU. Doubt that's going to happen, though.

5.) I think SU would seem sanctimonious. If PSU is forever defined by this one event (and it will be for a generation), then we need to accept that SU can be defined by one event too... which means SU has a lifetime cheat running the hoops program. I agree with people who say that NCAA violations are small change compared to this. Doesn't mean there will not be blowback, however.

This reminds me of the 1980 and 1984 Olympic boycotts. They hurt the athletes as much as anyone and set off a tit-for-tat that probably didn't matter in the grand scheme.

1. We wouldn't be punishing the good people at PSU, we would be taking a stand and saying that we do not want to be associated with a university that believes its football program and the deification of its football coach are more important than the safety and well being of children.

2. PSU protecting a child molester for decades is so far beyond any other scandal that don't think we have to worry.

3. What road? Standing up against an institution that did nothing while a man raped children in its faculties.
4. An ncaa recruiting violation is not immoral or illegal. It is simply unethical. Everyone involved in the cover up at PSU deserves misery for the rest of their lives.

I don't see how anyone can equate an ncaa violation with PSU.

5. If there is anything to ever be sanctimonious about its child molestation. I always laugh when people here make fun of other programs when one of their athletes commits a crime. That happens glare SU all the time unfortunately. I hope to God SU doesn't value any man, even boeheim, over the safety of children being molested.

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom