SU/UNC At Good Counsel HS on 4/15 | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

SU/UNC At Good Counsel HS on 4/15

Yeah I said the same. They played their hearts out for him. I expect a different game this week.
Did not know about his dad passing. But they will have some motivation this week as well after a humiliating loss at home to UVA.

Good stuff as always sir! One thing I will say again is that none of McGovern's 8 points were due to anything that Clary did in 1v1 play. It was not a situation where has was demanding slides left and right. McGovern is pretty quick but on that day he got more of his points exploiting small opportunities, rather than dusting Clary. If he is back up to speed after the lower body injuries then I would be fine having him take that match up again. Bigger issue at attack in that game was Caccamo not quite matching the foot speed of Tillman. Great defender and he did a great job on Mackesy 1v1, but there are limits to his ability to guard the total speedsters on teams. That is when we began bringing Olexo into certain attack match ups. Would not be surprised if we see Olexo on Tillman this time out.

Looking back on the tape of that game, a lot of their goals were due to not just success dodging against our ssdms, but guys getting too slide happy. Two guys who burned us at middie, Schwarz and Demarco, have gone on to put up hardly any numbers this season. It really was a game where bad team defense was a larger factor than too many guys getting beat. Tons of their goals were due to poor sliding rotations that accompany unnecessary slides. The experience the unit has under their belts now is huge. Faceoffs were almost even too. It really was the worst game of the season for the D by far. UNC hasn't gotten anywhere close to 19 goals against other higher level teams.

At that point the only elite O we had played was MD. Now we have a lot of games against high powered O under our belts. Aviles back is a huge boost as well. He has been right there with Carter Rice as our best ssdm and is better at handling physical match ups in their middie lines.

Our O still shows up against top defenses. Theirs does not. If we can get some stops like we did against Princeton then we can win this thing.

Very good points about the defense. I felt like it was similar issues that plagued them against Princeton last weekend. 1v1 they seemed to do okay (Macaksey beat Caccamo once on an absurd shot, Slusher beat Murphy when the short stick slipped) but not often were they beat for a goal. Rather the issue seemed to be that they simply forgot about guys. The term, "lost in the wash" came to mind often, as Tiger shooters were left wide open in front of the goal. I'd have to rewatch tape to see what happened but it seems like guys have to trust each other more and have their head on a swivel more. They buckeled down for the fourth quarter. Hopefully that momentum continues.

Very good points about the defense. I felt like it was similar issues that plagued them against Princeton last weekend. 1v1 they seemed to do okay (Macaksey beat Caccamo once on an absurd shot, Slusher beat Murphy when the short stick slipped) but not often were they beat for a goal. Rather the issue seemed to be that they simply forgot about guys. The term, "lost in the wash" came to mind often, as Tiger shooters were left wide open in front of the goal. I'd have to rewatch tape to see what happened but it seems like guys have to trust each other more and have their head on a swivel more. They buckeled down for the fourth quarter. Hopefully that momentum continues.

Yeah I'd say watching the Princeton game in person, the 1v1 defense was mostly good. There was the one super crazy goal you mentioned which you just gotta chalk up to a hell of a effort, there was also another one that wasn't as insane but still one they probably don't hit most times. I would say there were a few times when I saw the defense revert back to the bad habits of unnecessary or too many guys sliding. As you mentioned in your other post though, I expect some different match-ups this go around and I do think they have gotten better since the last meeting, not sure you can say the same for UNC.

Anyone know if Cohen is hurt? Don't believe he played vs Princeton.

they were also coming off a bad lost to ohio st think was where offense was poor. Their coming off a poor showing vs uva now. Either way cuse will have to be on their game in all areas from here on out. Defense, Offense and goalie play will have to be clicking together along with faceoffs holding their own atleast. Come on boys pull out the dub.

i Hope gait plays cohen this week. As unc struggled with uva’s faster guys. So even if not out there a lot least give him runs every so often. Mean good things have happen when he’s been out there. The more depth we have and keep guys fresh the better we have to closing games out or least not ve beat tired.

Anyone know if Cohen is hurt? Don't believe he played vs Princeton.

He was on the bench and dressed against Princeton. Didn't look hurt to me during warmups.

He was on the bench and dressed against Princeton. Didn't look hurt to me during warmups.
He was not hurt. He stayed loose and was near the box the entire game in hopes of getting in.

Unlike Richiusa, who sulked down the line near the backup goalies.

Well i can feel johnny a bit being mopey. Came in as starter and played majority of it at first. Yes wasn’t great but don’t mean kid wasn’t giving it everything he got or working hard. So i can see being little down feeling like your not good enough tho work extremely hard at it. Hopefully he can realize he is also playing in conference plus other teams that have some of the best fogos and just keeps trying to improve. Maby work on some technique and counters. Still i rarely see anyone rake or sweep. Everyone goes for clamp.

He was not hurt. He stayed loose and was near the box the entire game in hopes of getting in.

Unlike Richiusa, who sulked down the line near the backup goalies.

I wasn't meaning to insinuate he could have been hurt. I agree with you yes he was near the box a lot from what I recall. I did notice Richiusa down towards the end of the bench and while I won't comment if he was sulking I was surprised he wasn't near the box and ready to go just in case. I guess if you read into it he was told he wasn't taking any draws barring an emergency?

I wasn't meaning to insinuate he could have been hurt. I agree with you yes he was near the box a lot from what I recall. I did notice Richiusa down towards the end of the bench and while I won't comment if he was sulking I was surprised he wasn't near the box and ready to go just in case. I guess if you read into it he was told he wasn't taking any draws barring an emergency?
I coached long enough to know that sulk. He still should’ve been up by the box helping Fine figure out how to counter anything Princeton’s faceoff guys were doing.

I feel like SU has improved since that last game and like someone said above I'm not sure UNC has. I feel like they beat Hopkins due to fatigue in the 2nd half as Hopkins played like 3 games in 5 days or something. Agajnst us they played with their hearts for their coach and really shot well that game. SUcdefense has improved since then. Aviles is back this time and the SSDM rotation is what it was supposed to be from day one. UNC has some bigger middies and took advantage of our smaller ones that game so having Aviles will definitely help the kid is a bull. Hopefully Clary is cleared to play after that concussion. Now the offense I feel like is also much improved since that game. These freshmen are no longer freshmen they have experience in big D 1 games now. Joey, Finn and Leo have really looked a lot more comfortable the last few games. Kirst has settled at attack now and he's been huge for this team. That kid is an animal. The midfield lines were changing back then and now are pretty much set. Simmons seems to be shooting a lot better now. Now if Fine can stay around 50% this game which he really could do that then I see no reason why Cuse don't win this game. Maybe even win by 4 or 5 goals. I also feel like Will Mark had his worst game of the season vs UNC and will be locked in this game. He's like that remember how he played the following game Vs Duke?? That UNC game bothered him. He didn't forget he will be locked in Saturday trust me. I'm excited for this game.

I coached long enough to know that sulk. He still should’ve been up by the box helping Fine figure out how to counter anything Princeton’s faceoff guys were doing.
I agree no matter what u support ur teammate and try and help him out like u expect when ur out there. I do feel bad for the kid tho I mean so many articles say SU has no FOGO and then Twitter some ppl can be really cruel. We all know he struggled but like someone said I'm sure he works hard. He was just over 50% in the MAAC so it's not his fault ppl expected him to be able to hang with the best FOGOs in the country now. He's been giving it his best shot. No reason he can't bulk up and work hard all off season and suprise next yr. I can't imagine tho how he has to feel when everyone says the team would be winning if they had a FOGO. Ppl forget he's a sophomore so what 19 yrs old? He's just a kid. He does have to still be a good teammate tho.

I found this to be a little bit of a surprise that we are favored
Because SU is the better team. Coming off a nice win over Princeton while UNC got crushed and hasn't beat any top teams since Hopkins crumbled for them in the 2nd half. Vegas knows some suckers will think this line is wrong UNC should be favored look were they are ranked yet Cuse wins and Vegas wins. Vegas knows ppl will think UNC is a lock. Suckers lol

Varello did this consistently with Phaup. He was always the first person to greet him after a FO, whether it was won or lost.

it is extremely common and standard practice for a FOGO who is not in the game to stand at the end of the sideline with the other FOGOs and backup goalies. most if not all teams do this

it is extremely common and standard practice for a FOGO who is not in the game to stand at the end of the sideline with the other FOGOs and backup goalies. most if not all teams do this
I guess the days of the sandbox mentality are long over

I guess the days of the sandbox mentality are long over
they do this because there's more room down there to do mock draws and practice reacting to the whistle. ever see the fogos down there with an assistant (often the volunteer) working during timeouts or in between quarters? if not cuse would be the outlier

they do this because there's more room down there to do mock draws and practice reacting to the whistle. ever see the fogos down there with an assistant (often the volunteer) working during timeouts or in between quarters? if not cuse would be the outlier
During timeouts and quarter breaks, yes. Not while the game is going on. The number two fogo should be up by the box helping the main guy.

During timeouts and quarter breaks, yes. Not while the game is going on. The number two fogo should be up by the box helping the main guy.
While I agree I do think we should cut him some slack. The poor kid has taking a lot of abuse this season. Like I said earlier I'm sure he works hard and giving everything he's got. Idk how he must feel when every article or post says if SU had a FOGO they would be winning games or how could Gait not get a decent FOGO this is ridiculous or SU FOGO is horrible and blew the game. I mean again when u play at SU with such a huge fan base and history of winning then it comes with the territory but still gotta be tough on the kid. He's 19 yrs old and think if that was ur son dealing with that. If we heard that he doesn't work hard and stuff then ok but never heard such a thing in fact the coaches say he works hard every week. Cut him some slack maybe they told him he wasn't 2nd for Princeton Gibbs was. We don't know but I can't imagine how shitty he feels he's gotta think to himself I'm costing my teammates games. I feel bad for the kid. I have coached many yrs and when a kid works hard and gives it 110% but just isn't good enough I can live with it.

Hoping Clary is back with our season on the line if we can win Saturday the final two games get very interesting

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FbBarbie

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom