SU/UNC At Good Counsel HS on 4/15 | Syracusefan.com

SU/UNC At Good Counsel HS on 4/15

What’s the backstory of why they are playing at a neutral? School in danger of being shut down in lacrosse hotbed?

(Too lazy to Google)
I heard it's not even that nice of a HS field. I don't get why they do these games for recruiting I mean yrs ago when you couldn't watch the games on TV I get it but now it really makes no sense. Idk maybe I'm wrong.

What’s the backstory of why they are playing at a neutral? School in danger of being shut down in lacrosse hotbed?

(Too lazy to Google)

It looks like Corrigan made it worth UNC's while ($$) to move their home game with us to Olney.

Last edited:
I heard it's not even that nice of a HS field. I don't get why they do these games for recruiting I mean yrs ago when you couldn't watch the games on TV I get it but now it really makes no sense. Idk maybe I'm wrong.

Apparently a bunch of $$$ got dumped in the place, hear it's pretty nice now.

Some of these WCAC facilities are well put together.

Apparently a bunch of $$$ got dumped in the place, hear it's pretty nice now.

Some of these WCAC facilities are well put together.
Oh ok yeah someone told me there son played there a few yrs back so probably before they upgraded the place.

It makes sense when you actually play on some teams campus. The Stony Brook game last year was potentially nice from a recruiting standpoint. Had been a while since we played a long island team and it drew a pretty good crowd. This game won't move the needle at all compared to simply playing MD at College Park in front of a big crowd like we did earlier in the season. Dont even know who shows up to this one.

It makes sense when you actually play on some teams campus. The Stony Brook game last year was potentially nice from a recruiting standpoint. Had been a while since we played a long island team and it drew a pretty good crowd. This game won't move the needle at all compared to simply playing MD at College Park in front of a big crowd like we did earlier in the season. Dont even know who shows up to this one.

Corrigan created a February doubleheader showcase in Florida - UVa-Ohio State and Michigan-Marquette.

There should be quite a number of HS players who come to this event. Good Counsel is in the DC Catholic league that's produced a number of really good players.

Corrigan created a February doubleheader showcase in Florida - UVa-Ohio State and Michigan-Marquette.

There should be quite a number of HS players who come to this event. Good Counsel is in the DC Catholic league that's produced a number of really good players.
It is cool that there is a high school game before as well. Dont know anything about Good Counsel's team but I believe Gonzaga has produced some talent. Some potential recruits will be there for that already. As long as the broadcast is quality I can't complain too much.

Gonzaga plays GC in the opening act, which will be a good game.

There's some buzz about this in those circles.

This may be obvious, but is it implied that the legend Booker Corrigan is going to be on the call for this one? The dude is unhinged on the mic. Sometimes cringey but often it is comedy gold. That would be nice.

This may be obvious, but is it implied that the legend Booker Corrigan is going to be on the call for this one? The dude is unhinged on the mic. Sometimes cringey but often it is comedy gold. That would be nice.

Being in the DMV and Joe B having nothing better to do this spring it would be nice to get him again - he was really really good.

Being in the DMV and Joe B having nothing better to do this spring it would be nice to get him again - he was really really good.
If Corrigan is the one putting the game together, he'll be on the mic. He was for UVa-Ohio State. Joe B seems to do B1G games primarily. He did JHU-Rutgahs last weekend.

And $60.00 for a VIP Ticket? Being a HS, I would assume there is not an open bar included.
well, i know elaborate tailgates are allowed and reserved on the campus. looking forward to that part. and the vip seats (invited guest by a bud).

we'll see about the in-game open bar.

Orange face a challenging game this weekend against a team they've already lost to this season, 19-13. In that matchup the Orange could not keep up with the Tar Heel offense, and Logan McGovern scored eight points. The Orange held serve in the first quarter and were only down 5-4, but UNC outscored them 7-2 in the second to put the game out of reach. Despite the offensive onslaught, Will Mark made 17 saves.

On defense, the Orange were playing the game without SSDM Brandon Aviles. Not sure that would have changed the outcome of that game, but having him back has certainly been a boost for the SU defense. The question, as has been the last few weeks is will Landon Clary be back? He struggled against McGovern in the last outing. If he's out the question is who guards the Tar Heel's top scorer (51 points)? Saam Olexo had been switched to close defense while Clary has been out but last week, perhaps because Clary actually started the game against Princeton, Olexo was back at his old position and Nick Caccamo guarded Princeton's top attackman. Perhaps moving Olexo back down to close this game is the right move. Caccamo strugged against Lance Tillman in the first matchup, and might do better against Sean Goldsmith who is starting at midfield for the Heels right now.

On offense the Orange seemed to do well against the Tar Heels when they got the ball. Joey Spallina and Owen Hiltz combined for 10 points. At the face-off X, Johnny Richiusa didn't do that poorly as he only lost three more than his UNC counterpart. Also UNC seems to be struggling this year at face-offs, with their main FOGO winning below 50%. Jack Fine has taken over responsibilities at the X, and did well in his last outing against Princeton. Should be another interesting rematch, I imagine the staff will stick with Fine, but they have to know that Richiusa didn't fare that badly in his first matchup with UNC.

UNC has had a strange year. They beat Hopkins when the Blue Jays were coming off just a few days rest but otherwise don't have any marquee wins. They've been beating up on lower teams (and I guess SU) but haven't been close in games against Duke or UVA (also have losses to Denver and Ohio State). SU is, surprising to me at least, favored by 1.5 this game despite the earlier season loss.

Anyways, I think winning this game for the Orange would be great for momentum, even if they are unable to beat Duke or UVA to end the season (a tall order to be sure). Winning this game would guarantee a winning record for the Orange, and while it certainly wouldn't guarantee a playoff appearance, that's no small potatoes. I personally would feel a lot better about the trajectory of this program if they can build on the Princeton win and snatch an ACC win. Go Orange.

If Corrigan is the one putting the game together, he'll be on the mic. He was for UVa-Ohio State. Joe B seems to do B1G games primarily. He did JHU-Rutgahs last weekend.
Anish & Quint are on the call for ESPNU.

at College Park in front of a big crowd like we did earlier in the season. Dont even know who shows up to this one.

I went to Cornell/Penn State at a high school in the suburbs of Charlotte in 2020 and the place was absolutely packed. Cuse women were there too, playing against VPISU. The crowd might not be too bad for this one.

Orange face a challenging game this weekend against a team they've already lost to this season, 19-13. In that matchup the Orange could not keep up with the Tar Heel offense, and Logan McGovern scored eight points. The Orange held serve in the first quarter and were only down 5-4, but UNC outscored them 7-2 in the second to put the game out of reach. Despite the offensive onslaught, Will Mark made 17 saves.

On defense, the Orange were playing the game without SSDM Brandon Aviles. Not sure that would have changed the outcome of that game, but having him back has certainly been a boost for the SU defense. The question, as has been the last few weeks is will Landon Clary be back? He struggled against McGovern in the last outing. If he's out the question is who guards the Tar Heel's top scorer (51 points)? Saam Olexo had been switched to close defense while Clary has been out but last week, perhaps because Clary actually started the game against Princeton, Olexo was back at his old position and Nick Caccamo guarded Princeton's top attackman. Perhaps moving Olexo back down to close this game is the right move. Caccamo strugged against Lance Tillman in the first matchup, and might do better against Sean Goldsmith who is starting at midfield for the Heels right now.

On offense the Orange seemed to do well against the Tar Heels when they got the ball. Joey Spallina and Owen Hiltz combined for 10 points. At the face-off X, Johnny Richiusa didn't do that poorly as he only lost three more than his UNC counterpart. Also UNC seems to be struggling this year at face-offs, with their main FOGO winning below 50%. Jack Fine has taken over responsibilities at the X, and did well in his last outing against Princeton. Should be another interesting rematch, I imagine the staff will stick with Fine, but they have to know that Richiusa didn't fare that badly in his first matchup with UNC.

UNC has had a strange year. They beat Hopkins when the Blue Jays were coming off just a few days rest but otherwise don't have any marquee wins. They've been beating up on lower teams (and I guess SU) but haven't been close in games against Duke or UVA (also have losses to Denver and Ohio State). SU is, surprising to me at least, favored by 1.5 this game despite the earlier season loss.

Anyways, I think winning this game for the Orange would be great for momentum, even if they are unable to beat Duke or UVA to end the season (a tall order to be sure). Winning this game would guarantee a winning record for the Orange, and while it certainly wouldn't guarantee a playoff appearance, that's no small potatoes. I personally would feel a lot better about the trajectory of this program if they can build on the Princeton win and snatch an ACC win. Go Orange.
Good stuff as always sir! One thing I will say again is that none of McGovern's 8 points were due to anything that Clary did in 1v1 play. It was not a situation where has was demanding slides left and right. McGovern is pretty quick but on that day he got more of his points exploiting small opportunities, rather than dusting Clary. If he is back up to speed after the lower body injuries then I would be fine having him take that match up again. Bigger issue at attack in that game was Caccamo not quite matching the foot speed of Tillman. Great defender and he did a great job on Mackesy 1v1, but there are limits to his ability to guard the total speedsters on teams. That is when we began bringing Olexo into certain attack match ups. Would not be surprised if we see Olexo on Tillman this time out.

Looking back on the tape of that game, a lot of their goals were due to not just success dodging against our ssdms, but guys getting too slide happy. Two guys who burned us at middie, Schwarz and Demarco, have gone on to put up hardly any numbers this season. It really was a game where bad team defense was a larger factor than too many guys getting beat. Tons of their goals were due to poor sliding rotations that accompany unnecessary slides. The experience the unit has under their belts now is huge. Faceoffs were almost even too. It really was the worst game of the season for the D by far. UNC hasn't gotten anywhere close to 19 goals against other higher level teams.

At that point the only elite O we had played was MD. Now we have a lot of games against high powered O under our belts. Aviles back is a huge boost as well. He has been right there with Carter Rice as our best ssdm and is better at handling physical match ups in their middie lines.

Our O still shows up against top defenses. Theirs does not. If we can get some stops like we did against Princeton then we can win this thing.

Good stuff as always sir! One thing I will say again is that none of McGovern's 8 points were due to anything that Clary did in 1v1 play. It was not a situation where has was demanding slides left and right. McGovern is pretty quick but on that day he got more of his points exploiting small opportunities, rather than dusting Clary. If he is back up to speed after the lower body injuries then I would be fine having him take that match up again. Bigger issue at attack in that game was Caccamo not quite matching the foot speed of Tillman. Great defender and he did a great job on Mackesy 1v1, but there are limits to his ability to guard the total speedsters on teams. That is when we began bringing Olexo into certain attack match ups. Would not be surprised if we see Olexo on Tillman this time out.

Looking back on the tape of that game, a lot of their goals were due to not just success dodging against our ssdms, but guys getting too slide happy. Two guys who burned us at middie, Schwarz and Demarco, have gone on to put up hardly any numbers this season. It really was a game where bad team defense was a larger factor than too many guys getting beat. Tons of their goals were due to poor sliding rotations that accompany unnecessary slides. The experience the unit has under their belts now is huge. Faceoffs were almost even too. It really was the worst game of the season for the D by far. UNC hasn't gotten anywhere close to 19 goals against other higher level teams.

At that point the only elite O we had played was MD. Now we have a lot of games against high powered O under our belts. Aviles back is a huge boost as well. He has been right there with Carter Rice as our best ssdm and is better at handling physical match ups in their middie lines.

Our O still shows up against top defenses. Theirs does not. If we can get some stops like we did against Princeton then we can win this thing.
One other thing about the first game.. in my opinion..I heard the announcers talking about Joe Breschi’s father passing away the previous night. As soon as I heard that I knew we were losing that game. That team played like their hair was on fire for their coach day.

One other thing about the first game.. in my opinion..I heard the announcers talking about Joe Breschi’s father passing away the previous night. As soon as I heard that I knew we were losing that game. That team played like their hair was on fire for their coach day.
Yeah I said the same. They played their hearts out for him. I expect a different game this week.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FbBarbie

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom