SU-UNC game thoughts | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

SU-UNC game thoughts

I really don't think the system getting figured out is that big a reason. I don't think we're utilizing the system well.

Maybe. It's def hard to tell by the output.

Maybe. It's def hard to tell by the output.
When we see guys open early and the ball isn't going there, it seems to indicate there are opportunties being missed. That's not specific to the UNC game but is also going back to last year. What isn't clear is if that's coaching, qb decisions, or both.

When we see guys open early and the ball isn't going there, it seems to indicate there are opportunties being missed. That's not specific to the UNC game but is also going back to last year. What isn't clear is if that's coaching, qb decisions, or both.

Yeah, that’s part of it. I think we’re also lacking a consistent run threat that is making the system too predictable.

I really don't think the system getting figured out is that big a reason. I don't think we're utilizing the system well.

Good point, and remember fellas, the premise of this O was wrs reading coverage at the line of scrimmage and running routes accordingly. Of course with the qb on the same page. No playbook. Remember all of that talk? Offense is always about deception and the O has deception with:
1. A running game for play action
2. The qb seeing those same reads as wrs
3. Better coaching and wr development
4. Don't need elite talent with proper routes and combos.

Yeah, that’s part of it. I think we’re also lacking a consistent run threat that is making the system too predictable.
Sure, but we lacked that in 2016 and 2017 too. We made up for it with Philip's short catches. Where it still hurt us most was near the goal line. I would love to see production go up so I can focus on complaining about our poor redzone conversion rate.

Good point, and remember fellas, the premise of this O was wrs reading coverage at the line of scrimmage and running routes accordingly. Of course with the qb on the same page. No playbook. Remember all of that talk? Offense is always about deception and the O has deception with:
1. A running game for play action
2. The qb seeing those same reads as wrs
3. Better coaching and wr development
4. Don't need elite talent with proper routes and combos.
I wonder how much reading was going on the first couple years when Dungey was going to Philips so much. Some of that was so fast it was either predetemined or Dungey was lightening with presnap reads.

I wonder how much reading was going on the first couple years when Dungey was going to Philips so much. Some of that was so fast it was either predetemined or Dungey was lightening with presnap reads.

That's when they were playing fast and that must have been the read to go to. Ironically, Shafer's players have run this offense the best in dinos 5 years. They learned fast and did what this o was intended to do. There is no disputing that. Add in Ed's ability to play with nuts and be a play maker.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cuseman17

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom