SU-Virginia thoughts | Syracusefan.com

SU-Virginia thoughts

orangepassion

Nunzio Prophet
  • Great to be 4-0!
  • Szmyt (and Midkiff) were clutch
  • Not talked about, but the 2 blocked PAT's were huge
  • Love Pena as a receiver-he is very elusive and sneaky strong, An extremely tough guy to tackle. Would love to get him the ball in space more.
  • Shrader made some great plays, as well as some brutal plays. Charles Dickens would have been proud (It was the best of times and worst of times).
  • Oronde seems to always be open
  • Not sure what's going on in the run game, but Tucker did run well game 1 FWIW. Big step down from Rhino to Mang and Hoeh. If they're not going to block better, I'd rather just play another WR and spread em out more.
  • Garrett Williams was the MVP of the game for us.
  • Was very frustrated with the clock management in our last drive. Once we get into FG position, we should have run the clock down and not snap it before 5 seconds. We were snapping it with 15-20 seconds. We play our cards right there, Virginia doesn't have a chance at a drive to win the game. Luckilly, the Defense came up big, but it could have cost us.
  • Feels like we're playing worse each game. The way we played last night can beat Wagner and likely BC, but that's it. The good news is I believe we can play better
  • Hope we get our starters out of there quickly next week. Want to see Del Rio-Wilson, Price, and Hatcher getting some chances and our starters cheerleading out of harms way
  • Did I mention we're 4-0?????

Last edited:
Watched replay this morning. Should have been over at halftime. Lots of correctable mistakes led to Red Zone calamity. 2nd half should have been meaningless.

• Great to be 4-0!
  • Feels like we're playing worse each game. The way we played last night can beat Wagner and likely BC, but that's it. The good news is I believe we can play better
  • Szmyt (and Midkiff( were clutch
  • Not talked about, but the 2 blocked PAT's were huge
  • Love Pena as a receiver-he is very elusive and sneaky strong, An extremely tough guy to tackle. Would love to get him the ball in space more.
  • Shrader made some great plays, as well as some brutal plays. Charles Dickens would have been proud (It was the best of times and worst of times).
  • Oronde seems to always be open
  • Not sure what's going on in the run game, but Tucker did run well game 1 FWIW. Big step down from Rhino to Mang and Hoeh. If they're not going to block better, I'd rather just play another WR and spread em out more.
  • Garrett Williams was the MVP of the game for us.
  • Was very frustrated with the clock management in our last drive. Once we get into FG position, we should have run the clock down and not snap it before 5 seconds. We were snapping it with 15-20 seconds. We play our cards right there, Virginia doesn't have a chance at a drive to win the game. Luckilly, the Defense came up big, but it could have cost us.
  • Hope we get our starters out of there quickly next week. Want to see Del Rio-Wilson, Price, and Hatcher getting some chances and our starters cheerleading out of harms way
  • Did I mention we're 4-0?????
Saying we won’t beat good teams with 4 turnovers . Hot take there !!!! But yea we have be better all around to beat the teams coming up.

Saying we won’t beat good teams with 4 turnovers . Hot take there !!!! But yea we have be better all around to beat the teams coming up.
The turnovers was just one aspect. We have no running game and we keep trying to force Tucker up the middle. The passing game has gone from excellent to average. We scored only 1 TD against an okay team and that was with a short field. I am hopeful we can get better, but the lack of running game is troubling.

Peña seems like the guy who is now on the cusp of breaking out on offense. Gadsden has been terrific, and is getting more and more comfortable each game. If Pena can keep from trying to force things on the returns, he will be great. And he seems to be that YAC guy we so desperately need at the WR spot.

Last edited:
The turnovers was just one aspect. We have no running game and we keep trying to force Tucker up the middle. The passing game has gone from excellent to average. We scored only 1 TD against an okay team and that was with a short field. I am hopeful we can get better, but the lack of running game is troubling.
No doubt

Just remember in all our carping about how difficult it was for SU to take down UVa: UVa had copies of Anae and Beck's playbooks for the last 5 years. And no one knew that offense better than Brennan Armstrong.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CarlsbergMD

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom