SU vs BG | Syracusefan.com

SU vs BG

GoCuse08

2nd String
If we played Bowling Green this year what do you think the spread would have been and do you think we would have won? I have no guess on the spread but I wouldn't be surprised if they beat us and put up huge passing numbers...or secondary seemed to be a huge weekness that they could have exploited.

This is going to be a long off season...can't wait to see what HCDB can put together next year.

Would have been destroyed at any point in season. Our defense was questionable and this air raid thing is borderline undefendable

Depends on if it was home or away. Home...maybe about -13, I'm guessing? Away, probably -17?

According to the Sagarin ratings, which tend to be somewhat close to the opening lines, Bowling Green is ranked 41st with a 77.03 rating, and Syracuse is ranked 82nd with a 66.16. To find the approximate line, you would subtract the ratings from each other...So on a neutral field, Bowling Green would be favored by about 11, and if it was at Bowling Green, they would be a 2 touchdown favorite.

We would score on them. They would throw for a heck of lot of yards and points. I don't think we win but it would have been like a 42-28 type of game with Bowling Green winning.

Early in the season I think you guys would've had a chance...the defense was still learning a new scheme and Johnson still had some rust to shake off. I believe you guys faced Central Michigan in the year and it was a tight game...they certainly weren't on the same level as BG was as far as talent goes.

Early in the season I think you guys would've had a chance...the defense was still learning a new scheme and Johnson still had some rust to shake off. I believe you guys faced Central Michigan in the year and it was a tight game...they certainly weren't on the same level as BG was as far as talent goes.
Well, that's very true, but the CMU final score is misleading. We were about to run them out of the building when our QB got knocked out of the game and we had to go with a walk-on making his first appearance of his career for basically the rest of the game. I believe it was 17-3 and we were rolling, QB gets hurt, and the rest of the second quarter and all of the second half (and overtime) our offense just could not move the ball without our starting QB in there.

Woodshed beating. 55-27. BGSU would have rolled us. we would have ZERO answer on defense for them and we would have stumbled our way to 27-30 points. would have looked like the Maryland game, we just couldn't score quick enough to keep up with them, that would have been the issue.

Screen pass, bubble, after screen pass, bubble, screen pass.

Our history in playing Bowling Green State University is not a good one. Back in the 1970s teams coached by Don Nehlen crushed the Orange here at Archbold.

In 1973, BG defeated SU 41-14, and in 1976 a 22-7 win for the Falcons.

A 2015 meeting would have been good one but one I think BGSU would have a close one.

Great responses...seems the majority think BG would most likely have won and would have been heavily favored. Considering that our recruiting rankings were much higher than BGs do you think we had more overall talent on the team and just lacked the coaching or that the rankings are just way off? If its a talent issue you would think we would be able to out recruit BG...if it was a coaching issue, well, I am glad we now have BGs coaching staff. ;)

Our history in playing Bowling Green State University is not a good one. Back in the 1970s teams coached by Don Nehlen crushed the Orange here at Archbold.

In 1973, BG defeated SU 41-14, and in 1976 a 22-7 win for the Falcons.

A 2015 meeting would have been good one but one I think BGSU would have a close one.

The opening day loss in 1973 was the worst beating I ever saw the Orange take in Archbold.

The score was no indication of just how badly Nehlen's team beat us - they embarrassed us that day.

We realized almost immediately after the game began that we just did not have the athletes to compete with Larry Poole and the rest of the Falcons.

Tough memory.

The opening day loss in 1973 was the worst beating I ever saw the Orange take in Archbold.

The score was no indication of just how badly Nehlen's team beat us - they embarrassed us that day.

We realized almost immediately after the game began that we just did not have the athletes to compete with Larry Poole and the rest of the Falcons.

Tough memory.

BG's had a history of good coaches...Doyt Perry, Don Nehlen, Gary Blackney, Urban Meyer, Dave Clawson and of course Dino.

The school also owns a national championship in hockey.

BG's had a history of good coaches...Doyt Perry, Don Nehlen, Gary Blackney, Urban Meyer, Dave Clawson and of course Dino.

The school also owns a national championship in hockey.

We remember Don Nehlen's 1973 team very well.

Gary Blackney was an assistant at Syracuse for a few years.

BG has a very good football tradition - obviously.

BG would have killed us. Their strength would greatly exploit our biggest weakness. I have nightmares envisioning how wide open their receivers would be as they convert 2nd and 7s and 3rd and 9s all game long...

Woodshed beating. 55-27. BGSU would have rolled us. we would have ZERO answer on defense for them and we would have stumbled our way to 27-30 points. would have looked like the Maryland game, we just couldn't score quick enough to keep up with them, that would have been the issue.

Screen pass, bubble, after screen pass, bubble, screen pass.
It would've been horrific. They would've completed every pass. All seventy of them

It wouldnt have been that bad. Probably would have lost but it wouldnt have been a blow out. Probably like 42-35. Our (former) offense would put up alot of points. BG's D aint so great.

It wouldnt have been that bad. Probably would have lost but it wouldnt have been a blow out. Probably like 42-35. Our (former) offense would put up alot of points. BG's D aint so great.

Ummmm...

Syracuse Offense (#119 of 128) vs. Bowling Green Defense (#78 of 128) - Slight advantage, Bowling Green

Bowling Green Offense (#4 of 128) vs. Syracuse Defense (#100 of 128) - Decisive advantage, Bowling Green

Our offense was not good. Our defense was slightly better than the not good offense. Bowling Green's defense was better than both, and their offense was near the best in the country. It would have been a massacre.

I'm not saying that defensively we would've had much success. But I will not submit that we would've been killed. Clemson was a game, LSU was a game. For the vast majority of our season, every game was a game. I have no reason to believe that on paper it would've been a massacre.

NC State and USF got away from us, similarly, as did Louisville. They would've put up points no doubt, but, depending on who was QB, we would've too.

This isn't a coach vs coach thing, this is a team thing. I will not say that we are less talented because I don't think we are.

They were beat by Tenn by 30, beat Maryland by 21 and beat Purdue and UB by a TD.

Transitive properties mean nothing, but just for reference, Central Michigan smoked UB, played Toledo tougher and beat N. Ill. by 10.

Last edited:
I'm not saying that defensively we would've had much success. But I will not submit that we would've been killed. Clemson was a game, LSU was a game. For the vast majority of our season, every game was a game. I have no reason to believe that on paper it would've been a massacre.

NC State and USF got away from us, similarly, as did Louisville. They would've put up points no doubt, but, depending on who was QB, we would've too.

This isn't a coach vs coach thing, this is a team thing. I will not say that we are less talented because I don't think we are.

They were beat by Tenn by 30, beat Maryland by 21 and beat Purdue and UB by a TD.

Transitive properties mean nothing, but just for reference, Central Michigan smoked UB, played Toledo tougher and beat N. Ill. by 10.
LSU didn't throw the ball enough. Clemson rolled up yards. Bowling Green was so efficient passing even though they threw so much. They'd have been the worst possible matchup for us. Turnovers would've been the only hope

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FbBarbie

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom