SU wants to demolish old Frat House | Syracusefan.com

SU wants to demolish old Frat House

IthacaMatt

Old Timer / Unofficial Contributor for 25+ years
I saw this article in the Post Standard yesterday, about tearing down this old frat house. I used to live about 50 yards away in the summer of 1979 in the house at the corner of Euclid and Colvin, across from the softball field.

Screen Shot 2024-06-07 at 11.11.17 AM copy.jpg

One night that summer, I went to a keg party at the house, and as I was walking in with a couple friends, we saw a big circle of guys standing in the main room.

One of them was Marty Headd, who had just shaved his head that summer. Just as I'm about to introduce myself and say "hi", he turns away from the circle of people, and he says "I guess I just don't like people that much ...", and then he pukes his guts out, right in front of me on the floor.

Ah, good times. LOL

I saw this article in the Post Standard yesterday, about tearing down this old frat house. I used to live about 50 yards away in the summer of 1979 in the house at the corner of Euclid and Colvin, across from the softball field.

View attachment 241815

One night that summer, I went to a keg party at the house, and as I was walking in with a couple friends, we saw a big circle of guys standing in the main room.

One of them was Marty Headd, who had just shaved his head that summer. Just as I'm about to introduce myself and say "hi", he turns away from the circle of people, and he says "I guess I just don't like people that much ...", and then he pukes his guts out, right in front of me on the floor.

Ah, good times. LOL

My namesake is right nextdoor.

That’s the Zeta Psi house, which has been vacant for a while.

Was told that due to it being on the Historical Register, that it couldn’t be torn down.
Guess SU is tryna find a way to work around that.

SU desperately wants a pass-thru to Ostrom street behind Comstock.

I thought for sure they’d buy 721 Comstock and then demolish it, to achieve that goal.
But the house is being rented to DU for the next few years, so apparently that’s not an option currently.

Here's the story if people want to read it..

Will they just let it fall into such disrepair that it collapses, so they can then do what they want? Are you allowed to do that with a house on the historic registry? Is there a requirement of minimal maintenance?

Will they just let it fall into such disrepair that it collapses, so they can then do what they want? Are you allowed to do that with a house on the historic registry? Is there a requirement of minimal maintenance?

I believe its different everywhere and also very dependent on weather of not public money has been excepted and used on upkeep/restoration.

Was told that due to it being on the Historical Register, that it couldn’t be torn down.

I thought for sure they’d buy 721 Comstock and then demolish it, to achieve that goal.
But the house is being rented to DU for the next few years, so apparently that’s not an option currently.
Is 721 Sig Ep or Sigma Chi?

In general there’s an overuse of “historical homes” which prevents development. Sure, some buildings are clearly historical in nature. But far too many are just old buildings where someone once lived or something might have happened in the past. I’d say an old frat house falls into the later.

How much could one purchase a 721 Comstock for? Asking for a friend.

university appears to be flush with cash and snapping up a lot of expensive real estate lately. guess it helps when you're exempt from all taxes.

In general there’s an overuse of “historical homes” which prevents development. Sure, some buildings are clearly historical in nature. But far too many are just old buildings where someone once lived or something might have happened in the past. I’d say an old frat house falls into the later.
Yeah, but I feel like these houses give the SU campus its charm. Knock them all down and you’re left with a sterile campus.

The SU campus is nice, but not as nice as a lot of other campuses I’ve been on. Once you destroy the last vestiges of what once made us a traditional east coast private liberal arts college, the campus loses something in my opinion.

Just my thoughts.

When I was there it was Sammy 08-12 (Sigma Alpha Mu). But they had some issue apparently in the years after, which isn’t surprising at all.

R.58c551f71e302109fb22da252b07103f.jpeg

There was a warehouse in Binghamton they were using to store materials they couldn’t landfill - it was becoming an issue as the warehouse was nearly full. Shortly after a new mayor was sworn in, the warehouse caught on fire. Tragically, the fire department was delayed in their response - the warehouse and all the material in it were consumed by the fire. (I tried to find articles to verify, but it looks like Press & Sun Bulletin is behind a paywall and I’m not interested enough to pay for it).

Anyway - fire has been a historically popular way to eliminate problems and obstacles in the past. I’ll bet the wood in that old house will burn fast and hot…

There was a warehouse in Binghamton they were using to store materials they couldn’t landfill - it was becoming an issue as the warehouse was nearly full. Shortly after a new mayor was sworn in, the warehouse caught on fire. Tragically, the fire department was delayed in their response - the warehouse and all the material in it were consumed by the fire. (I tried to find articles to verify, but it looks like Press & Sun Bulletin is behind a paywall and I’m not interested enough to pay for it).

Anyway - fire has been a historically popular way to eliminate problems and obstacles in the past. I’ll bet the wood in that old house will burn fast and hot…
Maybe you should stop snooping and don't ax no questions.

Anyone else misread it as old fart house?
Does this mean that the SyraCruz tailgate purchased the house as a way to get around people being closed out of the West Lot?

Smores?