Success! Postgame thoughts #1 | Page 4 | Syracusefan.com

Success! Postgame thoughts #1

I think there’s a misunderstanding about how this system works, but someone like money3189 might help. I think it appears that he locks on when it’s a pre-snap “if x lines up here, the ball goes there” …

agreed. I’m not sure how many ‘progressions’ this offense calls for. They want to get the ball out quick to the first read.

I think Taj stumbled a bit on the turf monster and it slowed him down. Equally, he's probably not expecting that ball to be thrown as it's happened exactly 0 times in his career. QB largely hasn't been upright long enough for him, or any WR, to work down field past 2 seasons.

Now the positive, and it's a massive one, is Taj's reaction after the play. He came over smiling and patter Tommy on the back essentially saying "damn, almost". There was no pouting or frustrations in either body language. Taj happy to have the chance, Tommy happy he got the throw out there. Presume this speaks to time they'd spent together off-season and I think we see that exact play go for 6 next time.
Besties:)

Regarding OL stuff it was a thing of beauty to see Bleich get to the second level and maul guys. Watch him during the Lutz TD run.
It was also beautiful to see a cohesive well coached unit.

In fairness, let’s round this out. Cav’s o-line was good in 2018 with veteran multi-year starters at OT spots, and not so good in 2019 and 2020 when we had inexperience and injuries.

if there were techniques issues, personnel decisions, or other obvious problems, we had Dino, the OC, and the previous OL coach (Lynch) as part of the coaching team. You think Dino and the OC aren’t engaged in over-seeing the OL unit?

In 2021, Vettorello is finally ACC size, Servais is healthy, Bleich is healthy, Bergeron is a 3rd year starter, and this group has the benefit of working together. It isn’t only the magic wand of a new coach (much as the new guy is a better hire).
Facts. Healthy players plus a much better coach equals improvement

You are right. It’s definitely a TD thing. At times he locks in or pre determines where he wants to throw. That’s one of the things that screws him up when he has to go to the next progression.
He doesn’t see the middle of the field well. Most of his throws seem to be to the right. Even with Taj in the slot the passes were short and right. The slant was to an outside WR on the right. Not much goes to the left even and usually he is less accurate. I wonder if his height is an issue middle field seeing guys.

That might have been the best team tackling day I have seen by a Syracuse defense in quite some time. Combine that with a great showing by the offensive line, and the emergence of a super star RB, and we may be onto something here.
Agree 144%

He doesn’t see the middle of the field well. Most of his throws seem to be to the right. Even with Taj in the slot the passes were short and right. The slant was to an outside WR on the right. Not much goes to the left even and usually he is less accurate. I wonder if his height is an issue middle field seeing guys.
He definitely hit Taj a few times to the left. The bad pass to Tucker was to the left. The slant he hit to Shared Johnson was to the left. The broken play where he scrambled to the left and then Johnson tiptoed the out of bounds line to hall it in was... to the left.

I know you said "most" went to the right, and I don't have a spray chart in front of me, but those are plays I remember off the top of his head.

Folks carry a lot of baggage with DeVito.

He definitely hit Taj a few times to the left. The bad pass to Tucker was to the left. The slant he hit to Shared Johnson was to the left. The broken play where he scrambled to the left and then Johnson tiptoed the out of bounds line to hall it in was... to the left.

I know you said "most" went to the right, and I don't have a spray chart in front of me, but those are plays I remember off the top of his head.

Folks carry a lot of baggage with DeVito.

according to PFF, he threw 3 to the left, 3 to the right and 6 between the numbers on passes past the line of scrimmage. Their stats are also missing 2 passes.

according to PFF, he threw 3 to the left, 3 to the right and 6 between the numbers on passes past the line of scrimmage. Their stats are also missing 2 passes.
Never ever, oh the narrative

Bees, stop it, HE DOESN'T THROW LEFT AND WE DON'T THROW TO THE MIDDLE OF THE FIELD
And this has been brought to you by the power of group think™️ mixed with a sniff of ever powerful narrative©️

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CarlsbergMD

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom