Success! Postgame thoughts #1 | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Success! Postgame thoughts #1

I believe HCDB knew exactly what he had going into the game and knew that they could control the game and not tip his hand to Rutgers. Very vanilla play calling all game on both sides of the ball. I wouldn’t be surprised if we see a lot more wide open offense and blitzing by the defense against Rutgers.
Overall a good win on the road after a 1 win season to a good opponent. A few dumb personal foul calls, but only 4 penalties, no turnovers, and hopefully no long term owies.

Great summary. We did have one slant to (Harris?). I was a little concerned at how well they moved the ball on the ground between the 10's. I know that's what they do, but it's only Ohio. I wanted to ask you or another of the coaches on here, how vanilla did we keep our defensive play calling? It seemed pretty basic to me, which gives me hope that we have more to dial up as the competition improves.
Yup we played a lot of zone and our pressures seemed pretty basic.

It looked to me, that Tommy only threw the ball to Taj in the first half. I thought he looked better in the second half when he threw to different receiver. I don’t know if numbers bear that out; but to me, that is the way it felt.

Look at his numbers the first 2.5 Qs. They were not good. We kept stalling on O and were not putting points on the board. He threw it better the next couple of drives and we put the game away. The game could have been over earlier if he played "fine" the whole game.

We haven't played a MAC team since Western Michigan in 2019. The OL and passing game looked good that game too. We will see next week how they handle P5 talent and complex constant blitzing. What we see next week will be night and day. The fact that it took till late 3rd Q for the O to get going against an inferior opponent isn't a good sign for next week.
Numbers don’t tell the story of the first half. Drives stalled due to penalties, a bad read on one throw. Not bad - more meh.

We’ll see next week.

I don't agree with this progression thing at all. On at least 3 completed passes he progressed down. Rewatch the film. At least one, from the camera replay angle, you can see him look down field then completely swing his head to the right, throw and complete. That was a progression read. And, he did have at least one within the hashes, 3rd quarter, the long drive. But that could be a result of playcalling or WR's not getting separation.

My biggest issue was the D line. They looked slow off the ball at times and rarely got push. Too many times, Ohio got 5+ yards up the middle, and their small RB dragged our linemen with him. Super Seniors should not be pushed around.

One thing no one has mentioned is I didn't see one dropped ball. Everything that landed in a hand was caught. That was nice to see.
Hopefully bear coming back and plugging up the middle helps, i thought we missed him a lot last night.

Look at his numbers the first 2.5 Qs. They were not good. We kept stalling on O and were not putting points on the board. He threw it better the next couple of drives and we put the game away. The game could have been over earlier if he played "fine" the whole game.

We haven't played a MAC team since Western Michigan in 2019. The OL and passing game looked good that game too. We will see next week how they handle P5 talent and complex constant blitzing. What we see next week will be night and day. The fact that it took till late 3rd Q for the O to get going against an inferior opponent isn't a good sign for next week.
Debbie Downer Snl GIF by Saturday Night Live

the line did a good job of contain. we didnt get a ton of penetration to blow plays up. We also a a few too many got dragged for 2-3 yrs plays. We also did very little attacking, much more read and react.

shrader will definately get in early next game, probably 2nd or 3rd series regardless of what happens to start the game

That might have been the best team tackling day I have seen by a Syracuse defense in quite some time. Combine that with a great showing by the offensive line, and the emergence of a super star RB, and we may be onto something here.

Good thoughts Fin. I really don’t have much to say. I guess I’m waiting until after the rutgers game to get a true feel for this team. We are improved from last year. I just don’t how much improved. We were vanilla on both sides. I don’t think the staff felt threatened by this Ohio team.

Good thoughts Fin. I really don’t have much to say. I guess I’m waiting until after the rutgers game to get a true feel for this team. We are improved from last year. I just don’t how much improved. We were vanilla on both sides. I don’t think the staff felt threatened by this Ohio team.
Which is interesting given we’re the road team in a game many predicted could go against us.

it was great to see a game where we didn’t have to handwring a sure win.

I think TD is in a no win spot. If he struggles he “has to go.” If he doesn’t GS would have performed at that level and more. He can’t win here.

the OL thing makes me laugh because it was so painfully obvious that Cav and his techniques were obviously wrong but we didn’t change. Hope we didn’t wait too long

Which is interesting given we’re the road team in a game many predicted could go against us.

it was great to see a game where we didn’t have to handwring a sure win.

I think TD is in a no win spot. If he struggles he “has to go.” If he doesn’t GS would have performed at that level and more. He can’t win here.

the OL thing makes me laugh because it was so painfully obvious that Cav and his techniques were obviously wrong but we didn’t change. Hope we didn’t wait too long
It’s complicated but I think Cav’s wife was sick and it made for a tricky situation. No inside knowledge outside of public stuff, but seems plausible

Post game Dino reached out to Shred as he walked to mid field im sure they will be talking this week as the kid is probobly a little miffed that he didnt get any run
I recognized that.

Taj has to haul in that deep ball.

I think Taj stumbled a bit on the turf monster and it slowed him down. Equally, he's probably not expecting that ball to be thrown as it's happened exactly 0 times in his career. QB largely hasn't been upright long enough for him, or any WR, to work down field past 2 seasons.

Now the positive, and it's a massive one, is Taj's reaction after the play. He came over smiling and patter Tommy on the back essentially saying "damn, almost". There was no pouting or frustrations in either body language. Taj happy to have the chance, Tommy happy he got the throw out there. Presume this speaks to time they'd spent together off-season and I think we see that exact play go for 6 next time.

I think Taj stumbled a bit on the turf monster and it slowed him down. Equally, he's probably not expecting that ball to be thrown as it's happened exactly 0 times in his career. QB largely hasn't been upright long enough for him, or any WR, to work down field past 2 seasons.

Now the positive, and it's a massive one, is Taj's reaction after the play. He came over smiling and patter Tommy on the back essentially saying "damn, almost". There was no pouting or frustrations in either body language. Taj happy to have the chance, Tommy happy he got the throw out there. Presume this speaks to time they'd spent together off-season and I think we see that exact play go for 6 next time.
TD and Taj are definitely tight. And you’re right, Taj had a really good demeanor Sat night.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom