Success! Postgame thoughts #1 | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Success! Postgame thoughts #1

I think HCDB had a hard time determining if getting Shrader in in the first half was a good idea or not. It was a really odd first 2 quarters. SU jumped on Ohio early but didn’t establish any real separation as it stayed a 1 score game for a long while. And TD wasn’t playing badly, still the offense just didn’t get the ball much. Three possessions? I know the fans thing TD should have had a seat after missing TH in the end zone, but that’s a knee jerk overreaction IMO.

Babers’ job this week is to encourage Shrader to keep his head on straight. There will be lots of opportunities ahead.

Completely agree with this. It was a weird 1st half. It would have only taken a TO by shrader and score by Ohio to completely turn the game around. At 12-6 the game had the feeling that if Ohio was able to get some momentum the anxiety was going to ramp up. Pretty sure I said something like that at the time. It was tenuous for a period of time.

There was no reason to take TD out when the offense seemed to struggle to find its groove. He wasn’t doing anything to hurt the team and you’re only sort of in control of the game. Then as the offense started to get rolling in the 2nd half, the game went so fast there were no good times to start flipping QB’s around. By the time it was obvious SU probably wasn’t going to lose the game was mostly over.

I think Taj stumbled a bit on the turf monster and it slowed him down. Equally, he's probably not expecting that ball to be thrown as it's happened exactly 0 times in his career. QB largely hasn't been upright long enough for him, or any WR, to work down field past 2 seasons.

Now the positive, and it's a massive one, is Taj's reaction after the play. He came over smiling and patter Tommy on the back essentially saying "damn, almost". There was no pouting or frustrations in either body language. Taj happy to have the chance, Tommy happy he got the throw out there. Presume this speaks to time they'd spent together off-season and I think we see that exact play go for 6 next time.
‘Equally, he's probably not expecting that ball to be thrown as it's happened exactly 0 times in his career.’

yeah, that’s not true at all.

vs Duke last year they hit on an 80 yd td 3rd offensive play of the game

one example

This won’t happen next week but running Schrader out first ahead of TD would sure be intriguing. Shady wouldn’t have a clue what to do and would force adjustments. Then you can go back to TD and hopefully by that point Schrader has had success, we have momentum and Rutgers is on its heels.

I personally don’t think so. Schiano is going to blitz and try to create pressure, it doesn’t matter who the QB is. He’s just as inclined to do it with Shrader in there b/c he has a lot less game experience than TD. It’s also what he does and I’m sure he thinks he can beat SU.

I know it was just Ohio U., but if our OL holds and Tucker does Tucker-things, we can live with a good, not great QB.

The two big things with the OL that will determine the season are…. When teams stack the box and/or blitz like crazy how do we respond. Hopefully TD has gotten better in making quick decisions and not locking on one guy. But the coaching staff is a big part of this. There needs to be players and schemes drawn up so TD has quick spots to throw to. We haven’t done this well in the past and so teams just keep applying pressure.

2nd thing is - what happens when the running game isn’t working for whatever reason. Whether the line isn’t playing well, defense is reading the plays, etc. There’s going to be games where the running game can’t seem to get going or were in 3rd and long situations. Then what does our offense look like. Can the OL block well enough for our passing game to take over, pick up blitzes, hold the pressure off long enough for TD to go through his reads.

I liked what I saw against Ohio, was really impressed with the turnaround. Lots of potential for a good season. But it’ll be interesting how the OL responds game in game out to different situations.

I didn’t see him slow up but I wondered why he didn’t lay out some. It was overthrown by a couple inches. You see that catch every Saturday.

That type of “non” catch might end up being a factor in how/where in the draft NFL teams view him. That’s an important catch to make or even look like there’s every attempt made to get it. Very possible he didn’t quite see it b/c of the lights. Who knows. Not trying to throw him under the bus or decide his future.

TD and Taj are definitely tight. And you’re right, Taj had a really good demeanor Sat night.
He did because a majority of the passes were to him. I want to see how he reacts when the ball is being moved around.
Still really concerned TD locks in on Taj.

‘Equally, he's probably not expecting that ball to be thrown as it's happened exactly 0 times in his career.’

one example
Yup, also had a 46 yard bomb caught in the endzone vs GT last year during the second quarter

That one was almost out of reach like this one but he stretched out and held on doing a somersault after so he could reach it

it was a bad hire especially given its an important position and a position we struggle with for multiple reasons.

And…. several Nebraska fans chimed in here warning us that he didn’t work out well at all there.

He seemed like a nice guy, and it was very sad about his wife’s health issues.

I’m VERY glad he was able to move on, and that we now have Coach Schmidt, who seems to be doing an excellent job with the line this year.

He did because a majority of the passes were to him. I want to see how he reacts when the ball is being moved around.
Still really concerned TD locks in on Taj.
I think there’s a misunderstanding about how this system works, but someone like money3189 might help. I think it appears that he locks on when it’s a pre-snap “if x lines up here, the ball goes there” …

it was a bad hire especially given its an important position and a position we struggle with for multiple reasons.
In fairness, let’s round this out. Cav’s o-line was good in 2018 with veteran multi-year starters at OT spots, and not so good in 2019 and 2020 when we had inexperience and injuries.

if there were techniques issues, personnel decisions, or other obvious problems, we had Dino, the OC, and the previous OL coach (Lynch) as part of the coaching team. You think Dino and the OC aren’t engaged in over-seeing the OL unit?

In 2021, Vettorello is finally ACC size, Servais is healthy, Bleich is healthy, Bergeron is a 3rd year starter, and this group has the benefit of working together. It isn’t only the magic wand of a new coach (much as the new guy is a better hire).

In fairness, let’s round this out. Cav’s o-line was good in 2018 with veteran multi-year starters at OT spots, and not so good in 2019 and 2020 when we had inexperience and injuries.

if there were techniques issues, personnel decisions, or other obvious problems, we had Dino, the OC, and the previous OL coach (Lynch) as part of the coaching team. You think Dino and the OC aren’t engaged in over-seeing the OL unit?

In 2021, Vettorello is finally ACC size, Servais is healthy, Bleich is healthy, Bergeron is a 3rd year starter, and this group has the benefit of working together. It isn’t only the magic wand of a new coach (much as the new guy is a better hire).

It was a bad hire. I don’t care about injuries. The line looked completely lost at times, when that happens it’s not merely inexperience, it’s a coaching problem. We’ve had OL issues since DB has been year. It’s not a one off issue b/c of Covid and injuries. It’s a one game sample but the OL looked like they knew what they were supposed to do. Previous OL’s struggled to even get any push against what should have been inferior teams.

That type of “non” catch might end up being a factor in how/where in the draft NFL teams view him. That’s an important catch to make or even look like there’s every attempt made to get it. Very possible he didn’t quite see it b/c of the lights. Who knows. Not trying to throw him under the bus or decide his future.
Our recruits have made this type of catch. Donovan Brown's catch last Friday is linked below for reference:

Guys drop balls… it happens. Guys overthrow balls… it happens. We’ll hit some too.

THIS.

Fans expecting 100% perfect execution in game 1 from college kids. =
get used to disappointment.

Heck - ND’s ALL-WORLD TE - who had a great game!!! - dropped a gimme pass at the end of the 4th that woulda put them in EZ field goal range, to win in regulation.

Sh’t happens.

Thought Tommy was fine, was impressed with his read - option. I guess I felt he seemed a little more motivated with the competition.

No reason for Dino to do more than he needed to on Friday. Not worried about GS's minutes, he'll play.

It was a bad hire. I don’t care about injuries. The line looked completely lost at times, when that happens it’s not merely inexperience, it’s a coaching problem. We’ve had OL issues since DB has been year. It’s not a one off issue b/c of Covid and injuries. It’s a one game sample but the OL looked like they knew what they were supposed to do. Previous OL’s struggled to even get any push against what should have been inferior teams.
Previous OLs struggled, in part, because they lacked ACC size, strength and experience. If guys did not get push (say, Vettorello as a Rs-F), it wasn’t as much coaching techniques, as a guy playing too early in his career. There is no comparison between what we have now and what Cav was working with in 2019. None.

It’s one thing to be polite but the way Dino kept talking about Ohio is a bit perplexing. He even said “no team wants to play a team as good as Ohio in week 1” and this is after saying how difficult and physical the game was. It’s gonna get a lot harder once we reach ACC play. Not discrediting our win of course, but Dino was out there talking like we just beat a ranked opponent lol.

It’s one thing to be polite but the way Dino kept talking about Ohio is a bit perplexing. He even said “no team wants to play a team as good as Ohio in week 1” and this is after saying how difficult and physical the game was. It’s gonna get a lot harder once we reach ACC play. Not discrediting our win of course, but Dino was out there talking like we just beat a ranked opponent lol.
Check out any of Lou Holtz’s press conferences. While at Notre Dame he would make the weakest of opponents sound like the ‘85 Bears.

one example

Different plays entirely. Sideline pass (we've done to death) and shorter with catch and run vs right hash and deeper pass. Much more room and much different tracking the ball

Different plays entirely. Sideline pass (we've done to death) and shorter with catch and run vs right hash and deeper pass. Much more room and much different tracking the ball
Oh mean like this at 4:27?

Your assertion has no foundation, give it up

I believe HCDB knew exactly what he had going into the game and knew that they could control the game and not tip his hand to Rutgers. Very vanilla play calling all game on both sides of the ball. I wouldn’t be surprised if we see a lot more wide open offense and blitzing by the defense against Rutgers.
Overall a good win on the road after a 1 win season to a good opponent. A few dumb personal foul calls, but only 4 penalties, no turnovers, and hopefully no long term owies.
In this game the personal fouls did not hurt us, however I am concerned about the continuing lack of discipline with Dino teams, at some point those penalties will kill us if he does not get this corrected.

Last edited:
I think there’s a misunderstanding about how this system works, but someone like money3189 might help. I think it appears that he locks on when it’s a pre-snap “if x lines up here, the ball goes there” …
You are right. It’s definitely a TD thing. At times he locks in or pre determines where he wants to throw. That’s one of the things that screws him up when he has to go to the next progression.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cuseman17

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom