Such a fitting end to the season | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Such a fitting end to the season

I know. That's the scary part.

It certainly is. And, if you're a 5th year transfer does coming to SU next year even attractive when looking at the roster? If pt is all that matters, maybe, but this season is a good bench mark of the kind of success, or lack thereof, the team can likely achieve going this route vs. the traditional one. Sombering to say the least. :(

Absolutely is the most disappointing. And pretty close to being the worst. The Donte Greene team beat a top-10 Georgetown team, but lost to URI & UMass. That might be worse - but it's very close.

Regardless, it's clear that the 5th-year model will not work with this program. As good as White & Gillon were in some games, they were equally as bad in others (especially Gillon) and never fully adjusted defensively.

Says you.

Despite the exciting preseason prognostications, it was pretty clear early on that this team had major, major issues on both sides of the ball. It took too long to adjust the starting lineup to a more effective one, injuries played a role, and despite the big wins / 5 game stretch where things finally seemed to gel, the entire team seemed out of sorts from beginning to end.

When you start out lousy, and demonstrate mediocrity throughout, it kind of offsets initial expectations. I was a lot more disappointed early on. Reality also set in early.

Better get used to the fifth year model--it's here to stay, and changing the college basketball landscape as a form of pseudo-free agency.

TT had 5 steals today. He has made some progress.
LOL- if the lone highlight is that (and most if not all of those steals were thrown right at him) its exhibit A as to why we are all somber but relieved this season has been put out to pasture. D is all about effort, we had great D vs uva, Duke, etc. so this team was capable... but there was no comraderry (sp?), leadership or frankly desire to gut it out for each other. I got the feeling this team genuinely didn't like each other and it showed more oft than not in clutch situations. My world for more players with the attitude of Dejuan Coleman and Matt Moyer!

We are going to be dependent on getting 2 starters from the 5th year grad transfer pool again because we did not recruit high level high school players to start at PG and SF.

I'm not a fan of the 5th year model at all, but unfortunately we are stuck with it because our recruiting and player development has been below average.

Thompson and Lydon stunk on D too. It was the entire defense.

The replays that were shown from the perimeter were the basis of my post. They just hit so many shots from out there, which is why there were so many replays to watch. That said, our interior defense was porous all year, so frustrating I just stopped watching it on the inside. They were always chasing the ball instead of defending the basket. :noidea:

We are going to be dependent on getting 2 starters from the 5th year grad transfer pool again because we did not recruit high level high school players to start at PG and SF.

Yup. Simple as that. Obviously, landing Waters would change that equation, but we haven't managed the roster well in recent years.

Plus, I think some are being a little over the top condemning 5th year transfers. Nothing wrong supplementing a roster with a starting caliber player who has experience. No question, there is correlation between having two new 5th year transfers and some of our struggles defensively, but the defensive issues were NOT all attributable to them. The two fifth year transfers were not the cause of the poor season, as some would like to mistakenly attribute. Quite the opposite, in fact.

I'm not a fan of the 5th year model at all, but unfortunately we are stuck with it because our recruiting and player development has been below average.

I'm not, either. I feared when it started that it would evolve into a form of free agency and it has. But it would be asinine to ignore it as a feeder source.

Let's get our high school recruiting stabilized, and perhaps we won't have to dip into this source as heavily down the road.

Nothing wrong supplementing a roster with a starting caliber player who has experience.
Agreed... look at Louisville last yr, Rick threw out two 5th yr guys and immediately they were plug n play- with a good deal of success... I am not sure if he found 2 higher caliber players than our 2 guys, but the model is there and worked for him, and they play an arguably more complex D.

I'm not, either. I feared when it started that it would evolve into a form of free agency and it has. But it would be asinine to ignore it as a feeder source.

Let's get our high school recruiting stabilized, and perhaps we won't have to dip into this source as heavily down the road.

Agreed, it's not an ideal model. But we're still contending with the loss of scholarships, so we have to contend. It's all we can really do. Lets hope for a few more Kristof Onganaets. His energy, hard work and dedication to the task made him one of my favorite SU players ever. :)

Says you.

Despite the exciting preseason prognostications, it was pretty clear early on that this team had major, major issues on both sides of the ball. It took too long to adjust the starting lineup to a more effective one, injuries played a role, and despite the big wins / 5 game stretch where things finally seemed to gel, the entire team seemed out of sorts from beginning to end.

When you start out lousy, and demonstrate mediocrity throughout, it kind of offsets initial expectations. I was a lot more disappointed early on. Reality also set in early.

Better get used to the fifth year model--it's here to stay, and changing the college basketball landscape as a form of pseudo-free agency.

Says you.

[Not a more obnoxious response.]

Says you.

[Not a more obnoxious response.]

You're the resident expert, given how every one of your posts is obnoxiously antagonistic.

There's nothing funnier than a poster stating their opinion on a subjective topic as fact, and then getting miffed when someone points out that their stance is subjective.

Losing at home to a crap team, getting outworked and outhustled, I'm kind of glad its over, the most disappointing team in Su history, I don't think I could take another game.
Look at the bright side. Now you can fully immerse yourself into assessing the NBA potential of Lydon, Battle and Thompson without being distracted by any SU games.

Look at the bright side. Now you can fully immerse yourself into assessing the NBA potential of Lydon, Battle and Thompson without being distracted by any SU games.

And you can tell us how everyone should leave early regardless.

You're the resident expert, given how every one of your posts is obnoxiously antagonistic.

There's nothing funnier than a poster stating their opinion on a subjective topic as fact, and then getting miffed when someone points out that their stance is subjective.

We'll like this and move on. Because if anyone is the resident expert on any given subject, it is, in fact, you.

Feel the same way -- was going to come on here to make a similar post.

Glad its over.

I don't know if this is the MOST disappointing team in program history, but it is up there. Frankly, it is miraculous that they got to 19 wins after that piss poor start... which says a lot. It took a minor miracle to not even get to 20 wins.
There have been a lot of disappointing teams over the years. In my mind this is the most disappointing since 2006-07.

The common factor: returning players didn't improve enough (if at all).

Most disappointing team of my lifetime though is 2004-05. Not close.

There have been a lot of disappointing teams over the years. In my mind this is the most disappointing since 2006-07.

The common factor: returning players didn't improve enough (if at all).

Most disappointing team of my lifetime though is 2004-05. Not close.

That team won a lot of games, I wouldn't compare the two teams.

Says you.

Agree with the 5th year model. I think 5th year guys should be complimentary or role guys though. They should be brought in to fill small gaps not to be stars of the team. it does not bode well for SU if they have to be the go-to guys.