SUMB | Syracusefan.com

SUMB

MassOrange

Walk On
Are they making the trip to BC this weekend?

Actually, do they get to go to any road games this year?

Are they making the trip to BC this weekend?

Actually, do they get to go to any road games this year?

SUMB director here...

We are bringing a 44 (Go Orange!) member pep band to the BC game; I'm actually typing this to you on the bus.

We do one full band away game a year. This year's was the "home" game at MetLife, but I was able to swing bringing a group of kids to BC; a small pep-band is all BC allows.

We are looking forward to playing for fans at the game tomorrow!

Justin

SUMB alum here ... 1987-90.

Any chance of bringing back The Saltine Warrior or Pride of the Orange?

BTW ... We've got a sousaphone thingy on this board, in case you hadn't noticed.

What can be done to help recruit more sousaphone players? I'm thinking big time ... Partial scholarship type of stuff.

Also ... The Orange Girl was amazing last week. Hope you're recruiting her replacement.

Represent tomorrow! For Boston, For Boston. The Outhouse on the hill!

BTW ... We've got a sousaphone thingy on this board, in case you hadn't noticed.

What can be done to help recruit more sousaphone players? I'm thinking big time ... Partial scholarship type of stuff.

Also ... The Orange Girl was amazing last week. Hope you're recruiting her replacement.

The SUTomcat sousaphone scholly?

I too am an SUMB alum! 1997-2001. I was in Sitrus too and even got to direct when I was a student. Good times!

Unfortunately, the Saltine Warrior is a no-go; we aren't permitted to play it. I can look into bringing back POTO though; it was shelved in around 1999 or so.

Believe me, no one wants more Sousas than I do...they make they band sound and look bigger. Scholarships would be the only way to really bring those kids in quickly, but that takes serious $$ as you might imagine. I keep trying to get a scholarship fund established but it's a little difficult to get that kind of thing going unless a donor comes forward with a gift.

Finally, I totally agree about the OG; she is terrific. We just completed a small scholarship endowment for the twirler (a donor came forward) and are currently marketing the opening in the twirling community around the country (which is bigger than you think!).

I too am an SUMB alum! 1997-2001. I was in Sitrus too and even got to direct when I was a student. Good times!

Unfortunately, the Saltine Warrior is a no-go; we aren't permitted to play it. I can look into bringing back POTO though; it was shelved in around 1999 or so.

Believe me, no one wants more Sousas than I do...they make they band sound and look bigger. Scholarships would be the only way to really bring those kids in quickly, but that takes serious $$ as you might imagine. I keep trying to get a scholarship fund established but it's a little difficult to get that kind of thing going unless a donor comes forward with a gift.

Finally, I totally agree about the OG; she is terrific. We just completed a small scholarship endowment for the twirler (a donor came forward) and are currently marketing the opening in the twirling community around the country (which is bigger than you think!).
When I was in the band in the 60's, band members got one academic credit. Also, I believe that school of music students were required to be in either the marching band or the stage band.

If the board came up with a gift to get a tuba scholarship going, would that be okay? How much money would be needed to move the needle?

SUMB director here...

We are bringing a 44 (Go Orange!) member pep band to the BC game; I'm actually typing this to you on the bus.

We do one full band away game a year. This year's was the "home" game at MetLife, but I was able to swing bringing a group of kids to BC; a small pep-band is all BC allows.

We are looking forward to playing for fans at the game tomorrow!

Justin
I used to really love when the band would play that song right before kickoff. I have no idea what it's called, but it was similar to the florida state chop song. It would crescendo right when the kicker kicked the ball. I remember it being a staple through the 90's, but I don't hear it anymore. Any chance we could bring that back. It seemed to get the fans involved, a pumped up.
Check the 50 sec. mark to hear the song...
1992 Miami,Fl vs Syracuse - YouTube

If the board came up with a gift to get a tuba scholarship going, would that be okay? How much money would be needed to move the needle?

It would certainly be ok and highly welcomed! In terms of moving the needle it depends upon what the goal is. If it's just a cash gift, any amount is good, and then it's spent until it's gone. If it's a scholarship endowment, there's a minimum of $50,000 to endow and then it spins funds off every year (depending on how the market does) in perpetuity. This is what we did for the twirler scholarship.

I used to really love when the band would play that song right before kickoff. I have no idea what it's called, but it was similar to the florida state chop song. It would crescendo right when the kicker kicked the ball. I remember it being a staple through the 90's, but I don't hear it anymore. Any chance we could bring that back. It seemed to get the fans involved, a pumped up.

We were asked to stop that in 2006 or so. The good news is we started something new this year that is well-received and seems to be catching on...I even saw players doing it at VA Tech!

When I was in the band in the 60's, band members got one academic credit. Also, I believe that school of music students were required to be in either the marching band or the stage band.

This is still true. Students can do it for 1 credit and music education majors are required to participate for at least 1 season. Most stay for more.

We were asked to stop that in 2006 or so. The good news is we started something new this year that is well-received and seems to be catching on...I even saw players doing it at VA Tech!
Why did they want you to stop?

SUMB said:
It would certainly be ok and highly welcomed! In terms of moving the needle it depends upon what the goal is. If it's just a cash gift, any amount is good, and then it's spent until it's gone. If it's a scholarship endowment, there's a minimum of $50,000 to endow and then it spins funds off every year (depending on how the market does) in perpetuity. This is what we did for the twirler scholarship.

So let's impose a $0.10 per post fee, should have that raised in about 3 years. But we may have to name it the "Tee" scholarship.

Why did they want you to stop?

It had to do with the University wanting to make sure it was not doing anything that could be perceived as disrespectful to the local Native American population. The music and visuals closely resembled the tomahawk chop.

It had to do with the University wanting to make sure it was not doing anything that could be perceived as disrespectful to the local Native American population. The music and visuals closely resembled the tomahawk chop.
should've guessed...

Glad to see I'm not the only one that wants to bring it back. Kudos for introducing something similar. Keep up the good work. I also like seeing the band integrated into the student section.

Most of all, I love introducing everyone to the words of the fight song. I may be the only non-band member that knows and sings and claps along to it.

The train thing? I too miss the chop thing from the past, but I really love the new train thing. Starts slow, builds speed and volume as kick approaches, like an actual locomotive. Well done.

#LetTheBandPlay

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseEagle8

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom