Summer Hoops Portal Wish List | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Summer Hoops Portal Wish List

As I just posted elsewhere. I expect the entire roster to return minus Hima due to medical and one of Taylor or Judah. The staff is doing a great job. The players are all improving or have potential. It's really just the fans and NET holding this team back from taking over the ACC. Top-25 next season easy.
Now thats funny
First Half GIF

Yes, this is pure speculation. No, I haven't researched who among these guys the coaches might have recruited in the past. This is just looking around at what kind of guys I'd like to be able to add this summer.

Let's break it down into 3 possible positions - True Center, Explosive Wing Scorer, Point Guard.

Explosive Wing - We need more 3 point shooting, and Bell's overall floor game isn't good enough for him to play 30 minutes, if we are to be a better team next year. So, here are some random guys who are interesting to consider.
  • Gabe Dorsey, William & Mary - 6-6, 215 SF, 13 pts, 3 reb, 38% from three, a Junior
  • Kobe Brea, Dayton, JR, 10 pts, 4 reb, 49% from three, 6-6, 205

Big Center, so Maliq can play half the game at PF next year:
  • Frank Mitchell, Canisius, 6-8, 240 Junior PF. 13.8 Pts and 11.3 rebounds per game, and shoots 57% from the floor.
  • Jonathan Beagle, Albany, 6-10, 240 Soph, 12.5 pts, 9.5 Reb, 58% from the floor.

Potential PG who can shoot the 3:
  • Kino Lilly, Brown, JR. 6-0 PG, 18 pts, 3 assist, 38% from three, double digit scorer for 3 years.
  • Erik Reynolds, 6-2, St. Joseph's JR, 16+ pts, 3 reb, 3 asst, 42% from 3. Not really a pure PG, but can create some assists, and has been a double digit scorer for 3 years.
These are experienced guys who have played a level or two below us, but have enough experience to maybe take the step up. I would rather take chances on guys with this kind of profile, than to take an injured or bench player on a good team, where it didn't work out for the player.
I like Mitchell from Canisius, think if he was here now he’d be our best rebounder.

People are out of their minds if they don’t want Bell back. He may be the best pure shooter in college basketball. He’s made great strides this year in all facets of his game. If he makes the same jump next year, he will be a major problem for ACC teams. How people can say they don’t want Judah, Bell or Justin back are not really fans? They are three of our starters who are contributing to a possible twenty win season. We want to add a couple of pieces to what we already have, not lose any of our core players.

I like Mitchell from Canisius, think if he was here now he’d be our best rebounder.

Mitchell would be a great depth piece if he were willing to make a jump to a big school in a reduced role. Good rebounder and high motor also turnover prone for a big guy and not a rim protector at all.

Also I have zero expectations and haven’t seen anything from the usual folks who are willing to share stuff but curious on the development of Patterson. Is the kid making strides or simply rescuing cats I wonder….

Looked to me like he has added some weight at least.

I have no problem keeping him, but if it looks like an off day for him he can’t play 25-30 minutes in a game. He’s a black hole when he isn’t scoring.
I've changed my mind on Bell. 4-6 weeks ago I was fine if he left. I think he's getting better. I also don't know if we are going to get someone better than him in the portal. I'd imagine he will be highly sought after if he enters. I was looking at some of the transfers from last season and it's a mixed bag. We would need to get someone like Sallis or Knecht to make a change at that position worthwhile. Easier said than done.

Mitchell would be a great depth piece if he were willing to make a jump to a big school in a reduced role. Good rebounder and high motor also turnover prone for a big guy and not a rim protector at all.

Also I have zero expectations and haven’t seen anything from the usual folks who are willing to share stuff but curious on the development of Patterson. Is the kid making strides or simply rescuing cats I wonder….

Looked to me like he has added some weight at least.
Most teams don’t have a rim protector, if McLeod is our starter again, no reason this guy would be a depth piece.

I've changed my mind on Bell. 4-6 weeks ago I was fine if he left. I think he's getting better. I also don't know if we are going to get someone better than him in the portal. I'd imagine he will be highly sought after if he enters. I was looking at some of the transfers from last season and it's a mixed bag. We would need to get someone like Sallis or Knecht to make a change at that position worthwhile. Easier said than done.

A front court of Freeman Brown and Bell should create some tough issues for defenses especially if that outside shot we have seen glimpses of from Brown can become a staple.

Bell should see more looks and if he improves in other areas be a major focus of every defense. How well that group can defend the rim and rebound is the big question.

I was all about sending him on his way, but he’s shooting at a clip we don’t see often, that said, he plays defense as bad as JJ and does nothing else. Ride him while he’s hot, but if he’s off, he’s worse than useless.

I was all about sending him on his way, but he’s shooting at a clip we don’t see often, that said, he plays defense as bad as JJ and does nothing else. Ride him while he’s hot, but if he’s off, he’s worse than useless.
They both have worse defensive metrics on the season now than a former guard who shall not be named.

Most teams don’t have a rim protector, if McLeod is our starter again, no reason this guy would be a depth piece.

With that foot injury I do wonder if he would be slated to start or not…

A front court of Freeman Brown and Bell should create some tough issues for defenses especially if that outside shot we have seen glimpses of from Brown can become a staple.

Bell should see more looks and if he improves in other areas be a major focus of every defense. How well that group can defend the rim and rebound is the big question.
Freeman and Brown between the two should be in the high teens alone, get Bell to improve even slight and 20-22 rebounds from 60-65 minutes between the three wouldn’t be bad at all, add in freeman for 30 or so minutes and give him 8 and we have a solid rebounding team.

With the emergence from Bell and Copeland, we’re a lot closer than I thought we were, but this off season is still probably going to be the deciding factor (at least the first) on the rest of Red’s career.

People are out of their minds if they don’t want Bell back. He may be the best pure shooter in college basketball. He’s made great strides this year in all facets of his game. If he makes the same jump next year, he will be a major problem for ACC teams. How people can say they don’t want Judah, Bell or Justin back are not really fans? They are three of our starters who are contributing to a possible twenty win season. We want to add a couple of pieces to what we already have, not lose any of our core players.
I think people are saying they want more complete players at least in the Bell/Mintz situations or they want players who can cover for the weaknesses the team has.

I agree with you on Bell if Cuse lets him walk it will be instant regret. You aren't getting a better shooter in the portal, especially one with that size and athleticism. Plus he will have a year and two off-season's in Red's system, which is something I think fans are overlooking. Its not like he hasn't been improving and you can see that he is making an effort. I could see him averaging 20 points next year in 30 minutes. He scored 18 against ND on 8 shots!!!

As far as Mintz I've considered him gone since jump street. Still do. Obviously if he wants a 3rd year in college you do everything to keep him. Kids with his talent don't just fall into your lap.

I think everyone likes Taylor and wants him to succeed. I also think if he came back it would be as bench depth. I don't see him as a major contributor on an NCAAT power conference team. If he wants to stay great. I don't want the staff planning for him being a big contributor though.

Last edited:
Freeman and Brown between the two should be in the high teens alone, get Bell to improve even slight and 20-22 rebounds from 60-65 minutes between the three wouldn’t be bad at all, add in freeman for 30 or so minutes and give him 8 and we have a solid rebounding team.

With the emergence from Bell and Copeland, we’re a lot closer than I thought we were, but this off season is still probably going to be the deciding factor (at least the first) on the rest of Red’s career.

Agree across the board

They both have worse defensive metrics on the season now than a former guard who shall not be named.
That could mean a couple of guards, but I know who you mean lol

That’s another part of it, it would be one thing if one guy had his feet in cement, it’s another having two. To overcome that you need some epic defensive guys around you or like Zoo was bringing up, a rim protector, who I think McLeod on the bench would fill.

If McLeod is going to be upset he is on the bench someone should just show his college highlights to him. Nobody at this level is going to start him.

With that foot injury I do wonder if he would be slated to start or not…
I think he would be suited for the bench regardless, he’s been horrible for 3-4 years already. There are needs for him and situations I wouldn’t mind him playing 25 minutes, but I’d rather have below average stability than inconsistency at this point.

I fully expect these sophomores to become at least a little more consistent next season, surrounding them with inconsistent guys or reclamation projects will not put us where we need or want to be.

I think people are saying they want more complete players at least in the Bell/Mintz situations or they want players who can cover for the weaknesses the team has.

I agree with you on Bell if Cuse lets him walk it will be instant regret. You aren't getting a better shooter in the portal, especially one with that size and athleticism. Plus he will have a year and two off-season's in Red's system, which is something I think fans are overlooking. Its not like he hasn't been improving and you can see that he is making an effort. I could see him averaging 20 points next year in 30 minutes. He scored 18 against ND on 8 shots!!!

As far as Mintz I've considered him gone since jump street. Still do. Obviously if he wants a 3 year in college you do everything to keep him. Kids with his talent don't just fall into your lap.

I think everyone likes Taylor and wants him to succeed. I also think if he came back it would be as bench depth. I don't see him as a major contributor on an NCAAT power conference team. If he wants to stay great. I don't want the staff planning for him being a big contributor though.
I’d love Taylor back as a 8th-9th guy, if he can have success in limited time he can transfer to a better school than if he leaves now. I think that could put him in the best position to succeed, put him in situationally and eat some minutes.

I’d love Taylor back as a 8th-9th guy, if he can have success in limited time he can transfer to a better school than if he leaves now. I think that could put him in the best position to succeed, put him in situationally and eat some minutes.

Yep, he gives you a guy who knows your system, injury depth, practice competition and if his shot get fixed he would be a valuable 10-12 min player. Also if the staff knows he is coming back we might be able to swing more freely at a hard to get big fish in the portal rather than just filling a roster hole.

My worry is that there will be some college coach willing to go full Brad Pitt in Moneyball mode for Chris Bell. They will see the 42% 3 point shooting on high volume, want that despite all the other problems with his game, and be willing to drop a relatively large bag on the guy. As others have said it would be tough to compete with NIL for him with it stretched thin taking care of other guys.

My worry is that there will be some college coach willing to go full Brad Pitt in Moneyball mode for Chris Bell. They will see the 42% 3 point shooting on high volume, want that despite all the other problems with his game, and be willing to drop a relatively large bag on the guy. As others have said it would be tough to compete with NIL for him with it stretched thin taking care of other guys.
We shouldn’t have problems keeping guys like Chris Bell around, I’m not saying he’s not worth the money, I’m saying after an awful (Accelerate!) start in NIL, I don’t think we should have as big an issue going forward. When the AD is saying (there’s not enough money) and you lose Jesse over a few hundred k, not sharp out the gate.

We shouldn’t have problems keeping guys like Chris Bell around, I’m not saying he’s not worth the money, I’m saying after an awful (Accelerate!) start in NIL, I don’t think we should have as big an issue going forward. When the AD is saying (there’s not enough money) and you lose Jesse over a few hundred k, not sharp out the gate.
This is true, but if someone overpays I would say good luck to you.

Besides Brown, Q and JJ, I wont mind if anyone else leaves including Bell. Yes, Bell’s shooting is great when its on but the defense is just down right awful. I really think we’ll see some major player turnover this offseason

Besides Brown, Q and JJ, I wont mind if anyone else leaves including Bell. Yes, Bell’s shooting is great when its on but the defense is just down right awful. I really think we’ll see some major player turnover this offseason

You do realize that Bell is a more efficient offensive player than JJ and that they are equally as bad on defense right?

Another thing to think about is that we dropped 88 on the best defensive team in the conference Saturday. I think the previous best was 73 so +15. Yes our defense was bad but that was the best offensive performance against ND this year. I think a team with good offense and poor defense has a larger margin for error than a team with good defense and poor offense. Ideally you want to be good at both but if you can only pick one its offense. Putting the ball in the basket is still the most important skill in bball.

Bell had 18 points on 8 shots. Of all the guys on the team his elite skill is the one that translates to all teams and all levels. IMO he has the best chance of winding up with a meaningful NBA career on the current roster. We need shooting and we aren't getting a better one in the portal.

Not true. Teams still have to guard him and it allows driving lanes for other guys.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom