Summer Hoops Portal Wish List | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Summer Hoops Portal Wish List

How does Bell score?
Primarily as a jump shooter.
FG 119-278 43%
2P 43-100 43%
3P 76-178 43%
FT 22-27 81%
I would also say he is most effective as a catch and shoot player. So if your point was guys need to pass him the ball I agree but his presence likewise gives players more room to drive and operate.

My point with the JJ comparison was not that about who the better player is but why would you be OK with Bell leaving and not JJ. I want them both to be back as I think we will see improvements and greater consistency.

You do realize that Bell is a more efficient offensive player than JJ and that they are equally as bad on defense right?

Another thing to think about is that we dropped 88 on the best defensive team in the conference Saturday. I think the previous best was 73 so +15. Yes our defense was bad but that was the best offensive performance against ND this year. I think a team with good offense and poor defense has a larger margin for error than a team with good defense and poor offense. Ideally you want to be good at both but if you can only pick one its offense. Putting the ball in the basket is still the most important skill in bball.

Bell had 18 points on 8 shots. Of all the guys on the team his elite skill is the one that translates to all teams and all levels. IMO he has the best chance of winding up with a meaningful NBA career on the current roster. We need shooting and we aren't getting a better one in the portal.
Are we watching the same game? I’m not saying JJ is some defensive stopper but chris bell is hands down the worst defender I can remember in a cuse jersey. He’s trying, I see it but wow. Him averaging less rebounds than our guards is laughable. If he stays, great but he is going to get a big NIL bag this offseason and I wont shed one tear if he leaves

Are we watching the same game? I’m not saying JJ is some defensive stopper but chris bell is hands down the worst defender I can remember in a cuse jersey. He’s trying, I see it but wow. Him averaging less rebounds than our guards is laughable. If he stays, great but he is going to get a big NIL bag this offseason and I wont shed one tear if he leaves

Statistically JJ may be a worse defender. I want both guys to stay.

So if your point was guys need to pass him the ball I agree but his presence likewise gives players more room to drive and operate.
Fair enough, that was my point, he's a set shooter and while he's very quick at getting a shot off, he can't shoot off a curl or screen or while moving. It only takes one guy to guard Bell (and teams have shown they can take him out of a game). The vast majority of his shots are coming when he's set, in position, and the ball is passed to him and he's open or moderately open. JJ is being asked to dribble/drive and create shots. He's taking much more difficult shots than Bell.

That's not to say that either is a better player than the other only that they're being asked to do different things with the ball.

Fair enough, that was my point, he's a set shooter and while he's very quick at getting a shot off, he can't shoot off a curl or screen or while moving. It only takes one guy to guard Bell (and teams have shown they can take him out of a game). The vast majority of his shots are coming when he's set, in position, and the ball is passed to him and he's open or moderately open. JJ is being asked to dribble/drive and create shots. He's taking much more difficult shots than Bell.

That's not to say that either is a better player than the other only that they're being asked to do different things with the ball.
He doesn‘t now, but it doesn’t mean he can’t become a shooter off screens. Good luck finding another stand still shooter that can do what Bell does.

I agree and I think both kids are key to next season. I think both are valuable with high ceilings and a lot of room to grow. JJ is going to have a big season as long as he doesn't need to be the primary ball handle/distributer.

Mitchell would be a great depth piece if he were willing to make a jump to a big school in a reduced role. Good rebounder and high motor also turnover prone for a big guy and not a rim protector at all.

Also I have zero expectations and haven’t seen anything from the usual folks who are willing to share stuff but curious on the development of Patterson. Is the kid making strides or simply rescuing cats I wonder….

Looked to me like he has added some weight at least.

Mitchell is the perfect guy to play 20-25 minutes a game for us. I think a guy of his profile would be very happy with that.

You rotate Maliq/Mitchell/MacLeod at C. (15/20/5)
You play Maliq/Donnie Freeman/Mitchell at PF. (15/20/5)
You play Bell/Freeman/Taylor at SF. (25/10/5)

Or you swap out Taylor for a portal guy, but it sounds like Red loves his work ethic on this team.

Not true. Teams still have to guard him and it allows driving lanes for other guys.
I’ve played basketball for about 40 years of my life, if that is your only skills when you’re not shooting, you shouldn’t be on the floor.

Personally I haven’t noticed the lanes being worth anything when Bell isn’t scoring.

When we can do basic things, I’ll worry about spacing.

He doesn‘t now, but it doesn’t mean he can’t become a shooter off screens. Good luck finding another stand still shooter that can do what Bell does.
There are four other players in the ACC with basically the same 3-pt% as Chris Bell. One of whom played here last season. There are 89 players in D1 who have a 38% 3-pt on at least 150 attempts this season. Bell is 10th! Yay!

He's also 71st in PER, 82nd in rebounds, 78th in FTA, 70th in steals, 85th in assists, 77th in points produced, 84th in win shares, 74th in rebound percentage, 61st in 2pt FGA, 55th in TS%, etc.

I would trade Chris Bell and his 45% 3-point percentage for a more well-rounded player shooting 38% without thinking twice about it.
Yes, we would all trade anyone on the team for Carmelo Anthony. Any program would. But since those guys don't grow on trees why don't you give the kid credit for his torrid stretch of shooting that has helped us win a few games instead of running him off ?

Yes, we would all trade anyone on the team for Carmelo Anthony. Any program would. But since those guys don't grow on trees why don't you give the kid credit for his torrid stretch of shooting that has helped us win a few games instead of running him off ?

Because if we want to get back to where we were then we need better than Chris Bell. Sounds hurtful but it is a fact. He would be an outstanding high-level shooter off the bench. He literally isn't good at anything on the court outside of shooting.

Because if we want to get back to where we were then we need better than Chris Bell. Sounds hurtful but it is a fact. He would be an outstanding high-level shooter off the bench. He literally isn't good at anything on the court outside of shooting.
We also need better than JJ, Copeland, Taylor, and McLeod. We need better than Judah if he is going to be our main go to guy. We probably need better than Westry coming off multiple injuries. That applies to just about everyone on this team currently. Everyone has a pretty bad glaring weakness in some area. 95% of the time that weakness is shooting. Shooting is a pretty damn huge part of the game. His loss would have a massive impact without a direct sharpshooter replacement from the portal.

I would trade Chris Bell and his 45% 3-point percentage for a more well-rounded player shooting 38% without thinking twice about it.

He's got the skill, size, and athleticism to be a complete player.

He's just a space cadet ball-watcher on defense WAY too often...

He even admitted he does it in the post-game interview a couple games ago and said that Red is constantly on him about staying focused.

He could probably benefit from a sports psychologist.

Lapses in focus should be something you can address through mental exercise and training.

I think it's clear he doesn't often realize when he's gone full space cadet until Red yanks him.

I am no expert in basketball, never played! But can Bell work on developing these skills before next season. In my eyes he has gotten much better from where he was last year. He has many areas to work on. It seems a good BB coach should be able to prioritize his shortcomings and improve areas he can help the team. I realize he is very intense, emotional and at times moody but bottom line I can see him getting better over the season. Sometimes you get more with a carrot than a stick!

I’ve played basketball for about 40 years of my life, if that is your only skills when you’re not shooting, you shouldn’t be on the floor.

Personally I haven’t noticed the lanes being worth anything when Bell isn’t scoring.

When we can do basic things, I’ll worry about spacing.

I mean there is truth to the fact that if he is a threat it opens up the offense even if he isn’t hitting. That said he has to do other things during that time or sit on the bench. That’s his challenge if he wants to have a bigger role. I’d settle for him at 39 pct if he is busting his butt on the boards and defense too.

He's got the skill, size, and athleticism to be a complete player.

He's just a space cadet ball-watcher on defense WAY too often...

He even admitted he does it in the post-game interview a couple games ago and said that Red is constantly on him about staying focused.

He could probably benefit from a sports psychologist.

Lapses in focus should be something you can address through mental exercise and training.

I think it's clear he doesn't often realize when he's gone full space cadet until Red yanks him.
If you watch him during games closely he’s always talking to himself like there is someone on his shoulder telling him something and he’s responding. He can’t be all that focused if he’s having all these internal convos with himself. Also they must not go all that well because he’s always angry at something.

We also need better than JJ, Copeland, Taylor, and McLeod. We need better than Judah if he is going to be our main go to guy. We probably need better than Westry coming off multiple injuries. That applies to just about everyone on this team currently. Everyone has a pretty bad glaring weakness in some area. 95% of the time that weakness is shooting. Shooting is a pretty damn huge part of the game. His loss would have a massive impact without a direct sharpshooter replacement from the portal.

Correct it does that is why I stated multiple times that Red needs to majorly turn this roster over.

JJ, Copeland, Brown, Bell, even Judah have gotten better throughout the season.
Even Taylor the last game showed some promise. If Cuffe, and Westry can get healthy, with Freeman and Moore coming in you have a good Nucleus, for next year.
You just need a rebounding, and shot blocker at center.

There are four other players in the ACC with basically the same 3-pt% as Chris Bell. One of whom played here last season. There are 89 players in D1 who have a 38% 3-pt on at least 150 attempts this season. Bell is 10th! Yay!

He's also 71st in PER, 82nd in rebounds, 78th in FTA, 70th in steals, 85th in assists, 77th in points produced, 84th in win shares, 74th in rebound percentage, 61st in 2pt FGA, 55th in TS%, etc.

I’m curious to where he ranks defensively with those three point shooters, I wonder if there are many comparable players to him.

Not curious to rag on the guy but to see if this is common from a player that starts and their minutes. Mix in his assists and rebounding numbers and he may be quite unique.

JJ, Copeland, Brown, Bell, even Judah have gotten better throughout the season.
Even Taylor the last game showed some promise. If Cuffe, and Westry can get healthy, with Freeman and Moore coming in you have a good Nucleus, for next year.
You just need a rebounding, and shot blocker at center.
That’s an NIT team. Still need shooting and the defense is putrid.

I’d love Taylor back as a 8th-9th guy, if he can have success in limited time he can transfer to a better school than if he leaves now. I think that could put him in the best position to succeed, put him in situationally and eat some minutes.
If Taylor goes portal dont be surprised if he ends up at Virginia..he is best friends with Bennett's son and was recruited by them. He is a good defensive player and in Bennett's slow style of play he coud excel

Most teams don’t have a rim protector, if McLeod is our starter again, no reason this guy would be a depth piece.

Coming off a foot injury, I'm not counting on him for much next year. He won't start, but he could give us 5 or 10 good minutes, health permitting.

Primarily as a jump shooter.
FG 119-278 43%
2P 43-100 43%
3P 76-178 43%
FT 22-27 81%
I would also say he is most effective as a catch and shoot player. So if your point was guys need to pass him the ball I agree but his presence likewise gives players more room to drive and operate.

My point with the JJ comparison was not that about who the better player is but why would you be OK with Bell leaving and not JJ. I want them both to be back as I think we will see improvements and greater consistency.

JJ gives us much more than Bell if Bell's not making 3s. He brings up the ball, he keeps the ball moving on offense. He can score from 3, and he can score on the midrange pull-up jumper. I think positionally he's pretty good on defense. Judah is the one who gets driven past most often on this team.

Coming off a foot injury, I'm not counting on him for much next year. He won't start, but he could give us 5 or 10 good minutes, health permitting.
If he’s in the game, ND doesn’t get any of the close in shots on Saturday. He puts the pink elephant in a lot of opposing players mind.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom