Summer Workouts | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Summer Workouts

Question. It is first summer session. Is there a reason not all the players are on campus working together? Seems like everyone would take as much time as they could to gain chemistry.
Hopefully they all show up for the next one on July 3. This team could be really good but they probably need some time to gel in the lab given the new starters and the new coach and system.

Hopefully they all show up for the next one on July 3. This team could be really good but they probably need some time to gel in the lab given the new starters and the new coach and system.

Guessing the rest come in second session. Seems clear all of them are getting work in near home. With JJ he's local anyways.

We'll see come fall. But I do believe that JAB did not like weight work and preferred endurance and stretching.

I don't think Mintz was ever very skinny last season, he had a good frame for a frosh. Good to see G-Mac still putting in the gym work. Playing 1-1 with the kids will keep him young!

I'm curious to see if there's a change in weight room work. A lot of these guys need to bulk up. JJ certainly looks much bigger and stronger.
Every player we've seen recent photos of looks visibly more muscular than last season.

They are definitely putting in the lifting work. This was one of my complaints about JB, year after year, guys like Dolezaj would look exactly the same physically, often for all 4 years. I was so skinny as a freshman that I could have hidden behind a sapling, and putting in weight was hard, but without any kind of professional guidance or nutrition, I went from 145 to 165 of good weight during college. It isn't that hard.

It's one thing to come into college slight of build, but it's a problem with the program when it's a rarity for guys to develop physically.

A proper workout regimen makes you stronger, bigger and more explosive athletically. It was a huge problem that we just gave away the benefits because of some nebulous "muscles hurt shooting" superstition held over from the 60's.

Between the obvious recruiting improvement and the renewed efforts in the weight room, I'm liking Red's tenure as coach more and more.

And I loved JB. Red has a long way to go before proving he can fill those massive shoes.

Every player we've seen recent photos of looks visibly more muscular than last season.

They are definitely putting in the lifting work. This was one of my complaints about JB, year after year, guys like Dolezaj would look exactly the same physically, often for all 4 years. I was so skinny as a freshman that I could have hidden behind a sapling, and putting in weight was hard, but without any kind of professional guidance or nutrition, I went from 145 to 165 of good weight during college. It isn't that hard.

It's one thing to come into college slight of build, but it's a problem with the program when it's a rarity for guys to develop physically.

A proper workout regimen makes you stronger, bigger and more explosive athletically. It was a huge problem that we just gave away the benefits because of some nebulous "muscles hurt shooting" superstition held over from the 60's.

Between the obvious recruiting improvement and the renewed efforts in the weight room, I'm liking Red's tenure as coach more and more.

And I loved JB. Red has a long way to go before proving he can fill those massive shoes.

A lot of this weightlifting talk is exaggerated and myth. Every player has a weightlifting regimen. Including Marek. Including Buddy. Including every player. Not every player can easily bulk up. But even Marek added 20 pounds. Look at his freshman pic to senior pic. Do the same with Buddy. But they aren’t football lifters. Ryan Cabiles has been the director of strength and conditioning for 16 years and he develops a plan for every player.

Hopefully Benny is working on his hands and breaking to the basket. Judah, JJ and Westry are going to be penetrating the paint allot and dishing to Benny and our centers cutting or on lobs . When they shoot there will be plenty of glass cleaning opportunities as well. Benny should get allot of dunks this year if he keeps his head in the game.
He needs to find a handle.

I know a couple of the guys he's been working with, and was told he hit 13 3's in a row other day.
I've been saying for months we don't have to worry about shooting. JJ and Judah are good shooters.

Athletic, explosive, strong frame, decent height, shoots well off the dribble. JJ's a first rounder, probably in 2024. I think not having to be the primary ball handler and facilitator is going to make a huge difference for him too. Sophomore leap and better system will help too. Monster year incoming for JJ Starling.

I've been saying for months we don't have to worry about shooting. JJ and Judah are good shooters.

Athletic, explosive, strong frame, decent height, shoots well off the dribble. JJ's a first rounder, probably in 2024. I think not having to be the primary ball handler and facilitator is going to make a huge difference for him too. Sophomore leap and better system will help too. Monster year incoming for JJ Starling.
JJ is self-motivated, has insane focus and a work ethic to simply be the best he can be.

Not all that bold if you look around the ACC. Judah is the top returning guard in the ACC paired with a fellow projected second round pick. Paired with 4 star Westry and former top 100 Cuffe and then two other returnees.
Still need to see it with my own eyes. But, I can at least imagine it. Plus, not just with 2 starting guards, but add a 3rd in Westry; and depth behind them too.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Diamondmakr

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom