Swofford mentions having ACC touney at MSG. Interesting... | Syracusefan.com

Swofford mentions having ACC touney at MSG. Interesting...

Jake

Mod
He must envision the Big East going away completely...because it has a long contract with MSG. The hoop onlies would have a kniption.

Could always play it in Brooklyn.

I think DC makes the most sense over the long run. Not that I'll ever make it there.

He must envision the Big East going away completely...because it has a long contract with MSG. The hoop onlies would have a kniption.
Probably at first, but I can see alternating years betrween NC/South and NYC. DC makes sense logistically, but c'mon, DC is not NYC.

MSG will break that contract so fast with the "big east" to get the ACC tourney in the garden. Let's see, Seton Hall, St.Johns, Providence. OR...Duke, Syracuse, UNC, Pitt, Maryland...hmm, tough choice!

And my money is on our NEW commish to get it done over our OLD commish who is clueless

I can see the day that the BE gets out of the football business ... but the parochials will still have the BE name.

I would love this. DC stinks; the Verizon Center is a nice place to watch a game, but there's nothing like the Garden. There's a reason the Big East Tournament gets such national buzz every year, and it's not because the Big East is regarded as the best conference in the country (even though I think it is). Prime-time Saturday championship at the Garden is it. A Sunday afternoon in Greensboro, DC, or Atlanta doesn't compare.

who says they cant do the early round games in NC, and then take friday off...come to MSG and put the semis sat night and the champ sunday??

DC makes sense for an occasional tournament - Verizon Center is a good venue; there are a lot of "Cuse alumni there. I think that a rotation among sites such as Carolina, MSG, Verizon Center, and maybe Atlanta too would be ideal.

just like the good old days of the NIT, before the NCAA Tny. came along, of course we all want to play in MSG...

starting in the 50s, UNC fans had a phrase for recruiting the NE - "the underground railroad"...

we hope to keep doing it and putting the ACC Tny., which was the first of its kind, in the NE makes sense for all of us for a whole host of reasons...

Probably at first, but I can see alternating years betrween NC/South and NYC. DC makes sense logistically, but c'mon, DC is not NYC.
DC would buy into it big time though. Many people transition into the work force in that area from the North and South. I could see the tournament being very popular there. You should see how quickly they embraced the Washington Nationals... A BASEBALL team. And seriously, who cares about BASEBALL.

Pete Thamel just tweeted that MSG declined comment when asked about ACC's interest in playing at the Garden.

http://twitter.com/#!/PeteThamelNYT
Once the NY glasses are off, fans will see the prestige of being the only conference capable of title games in the nation's capital. I'm also for revolving tournaments up and down the East Coast - from Boston to Raleigh-Durham. The conference needs to make sure they hold it in cities where revenue and attendance will be maximized. Atlanta may be large, but do they give a darn about the ACC - probably not. Same thing with Florida cities.

Atlanta may be large, but do they give a darn about the ACC - probably not.
I attended the SEC championship game this year in the Georgia Dome. Next year's ACC tournament will be in town... but the venue is Philips Arena instead.

I attended the SEC championship game this year in the Georgia Dome. Next year's ACC tournament will be in town... but the venue is Philips Arena instead.
I personally feel that Atlanta is in SEC country by proximity of Georgia and its focus for SEC based activities.

I vote for DC.

Nothing compares to the electricity of the Garden, but if that isn't feasible, I think DC is the only good alternative. Tons of bars, hotels, stuff to do, great mass transit.

My do people have short memories...before this little run the Big East has had...doesn't anyone remember how bad the conference was?? Anyone remember the early and mid 90s?? It was awful. The conference tourny was a joke. I remember them showing it on tv with MSG 75% empty. No one cared. The BET wasn't always like this.

On a second note, people need to get out more often and realize the area around MSG is a dump. Nothing like a road trip to the sunny south during March. DC is a good spot, Tampa, Atlanta in the early spring to get outside...I do agree that Greensboro sucks though. You could be tailgating outside in Tampa or Atlanta for the ACC tourny.

Both Atlanta and DC are air travel hubs for west coast types like me who need to fly, and since I have been spoiled by living in California, in my old age I want to go somewhere warm in March. Greensboro would be a problem but I would rather see the tournament played in a dome to accomodate ticket availability for anyone who is willing to travel. Maybe Cali would come, too!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CarlsbergMD

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom