Swofford update on TV renegotiation | Syracusefan.com

Swofford update on TV renegotiation

sufan

Scout Team
ACC commissioner John Swofford interview:

"One report had each ACC school gaining an extra $1 million to $2 million per year from the renegotiation. Is that correct?
A: We haven't finalized that yet. I'd rather not comment on that at this point, other than to say that I think we're going to be very pleased with where we are financially when all is said and done."

We are so unbelievably lucky to be going to the ACC...

Yeah, But Mizzou is only paying us 800k and we don't get a return visit!!!!!

Hey, armchair ADs, shut your pie holes. DG got us out of the Big least and into a real conference. Deal with the transition like a man.

ACC commissioner John Swofford interview:

"One report had each ACC school gaining an extra $1 million to $2 million per year from the renegotiation. Is that correct?
A: We haven't finalized that yet. I'd rather not comment on that at this point, other than to say that I think we're going to be very pleased with where we are financially when all is said and done."

-----------------

The reported extra 1-2 million dollars per year per team seems very low considering:

1) the ACC is not only expanding by 2 teams but expanding the number of football games from 8 to 9 as well as expanding the number of BB games.

2) the ACC is adding schools in 2 large states, filling in the footprint between Maryland and BC.

3) the ACC is reportedly considering adding a number of Friday evening games.

4) ESPN has an agreement covering all rights on a long term contract.

A payout that puts the ACC at a large relative disadvantage vs. the Big 12, SEC and other major conferences is an invitation over the long term to instability.

I can't remember what the source was and it was on this forum, but it stated that SU and Pitt in the ACC will bring in more total revenue to the ACC than the rest of the schools in the BE bring to that thing they're involved with in Rhode Island.

-----------------

The reported extra 1-2 million dollars per year per team seems very low considering:

1) the ACC is not only expanding by 2 teams but expanding the number of football games from 8 to 9 as well as expanding the number of BB games.

2) the ACC is adding schools in 2 large states, filling in the footprint between Maryland and BC.

A payout that puts the ACC at a large relative disadvantage vs. the Big 12, SEC and other major conferences is an invitation over the long term to instability.

This is the key right here.

ESPN threw MORE money at the Big12 so they wouldnt disband as dispanding would hurt the espn product. Fox owns the PAC and you have Big10 and SEC coming up for renewal. If ESPN doesnt make the payout competitive then you can expect more musical chairs.

-----------------

Maybe I am wrong, but reading between the lines of what he is saying, it sounds like it's more than "just" $1-2 million more per school.

If it's really only $1-2 million more, that doesn't seem to me to be an incentive not to start an ACC television network in the mold of what the Big 10 has developed. I would start development of said network now and see how willing they are to up the price once that has commenced.

If each school is going to gain an additional 2 million dollars a year then bringing in Syracuse and Pitt is an additional 54 million dollars to the conference.

12 schools x 13 million = 156 million
14 schools x 15 million = 210 million

And the way I read Swofford’s response is that it is going to more than 2 million per.

The $1 million - $2 million number was pure speculation. I'd be shocked if it isn't considerably more.

The rumoured $1-2M bump was disappointing, particularly given the supposed contract length. This sounds more encouraging.

Does Notre Dame get to vote on this?

If it's really only $1-2 million more, that doesn't seem to me to be an incentive not to start an ACC television network in the mold of what the Big 10 has developed. I would start development of said network now and see how willing they are to up the price once that has commenced.

--------------

I believe the ACC signed away all its rights to ESPN.

It is Hoops Weiss, so it should be taken with a grain of salt, but here is the link in question.

---------------

Interesting and very opinionated article by Weiss: if SU said no, then UConn or RU would have taken SU's place.

In football, SU would then be left with Memphis, UL as long as they stay, UC, Houston, SMU, UCF, USF, Temple, Boise, SDSU and either UConn or RU.

Disadvantages would be less stability and less money, poorer bowl opportunities and most importantly the impact on SU's perception as a University.

BC has been an island in the ACC for a long time; now they are joined by SU and Pitt as a link to Maryland and the rest of the conference.

It is Hoops Weiss, so it should be taken with a grain of salt, but here is the link in question.
Wow. What a negative guy. What would prevent Syracuse from playing in New York City in the future? nothing. Most ACC games will probably be in the Carrier Dome. Most ACC teams don't want to give up home court advantage. But, games with other big names could be arranged in MSG.

Boston College's recent difficulties have little to do with the ACC either. Their issues in both football and basketball have been related to coaching turnover.

-----------------

----------------

Should have added: the ACC also looks like it may be on its way back:
the ACC downturn in football has been perhaps related to FSU (Bowden) and Miami coaching issues, which are now history.

The 2012 Rivals recruiting rankings, for whatever they are worth, include:

FSU as #6
Miami as #9
Clemson as 14
VT as 22
VA as 27

Schools ranked in top 30 outside the SEC, Big 10, PAC 12 include:

Big 12: UT at 2, OK at 11, TT at 26;
RU at 24 was the only Big East top 30 ranked team.
ND was ranked 20
(WVU was ranked 48)

Instability is driven by geography as much as money. The Big 12 is in the middle of the country, and thus has barbarians harassing it from many sides. Coastal conferences have an advantage in that they have to defend fewer fronts.

Instability is driven by geography as much as money. The Big 12 is in the middle of the country, and thus has barbarians harassing it from many sides. Coastal conferences have an advantage in that they have to defend fewer fronts.
Barbarians harassing...from many sides.

Nice!

They stated last week in NY that they are looking at $18 per school.
Hell for that price...I'll bid $20 per team and put them all on Internet Broadcast on SyracusefanTV.com

Mongolians are to barbarians what rutgirls is to football-nothing

to get a better idea watch the joisey shore episode-snookie is about as close to a barbarian as you can get

Surprising lack of insight by Hoops.

But, clearly, there is a downside with any re-alignment.

I don't think SU - especially SU BB - will suffer in the way that BC has suffered - SU will have old mates Va Tech, BC, Pitt, Miami and MD to play in football. BC did not have Pitt or SU and did not have the kind of national BB program that SU has.

And, up until recently, BC Football had a very nice run in the ACC.

So, an interesting take, but probably not an accurate one.