Swofford's Plan (In my opinion) | Syracusefan.com

Swofford's Plan (In my opinion)

Orangemen

All Conference
I think his plan was take Pitt and SU, thereby creating another tremor that would allow for major realignment. That would allow him to kill the BE, while looking like just one of the guys, and not being labeled as the guy that took it all down himself.

Now that the major realignment is off the table, he may be forced to make the final move himself, which was- I'm sure- not his plan.

The BE is now in position to re-stabilize itself, and come out fairly strong. The bball is still fantastic, and the football is really not changed significantly.

While ACC hoops is still stronger, the BE will likely still be the top bball conference.

(My quick math- the BE has 6 annual FF contenders- UConn, Nova, WVU, ND, Gtown, Ville. While the ACC has 4- Pitt, SU, Duke, UNC)

This move as it currently stands does not make up for the sins of 03. Where football stayed the same, and bball clearly got worse.

If he wants to achieve his goal, which is to make the ACC the pre-eminent bball conf again, he's gotta kill the BE. That means grab UConn and RU. That will force WVU, Ville, and Cincy to the Big 12, and eliminate the BE as a viable bball threat permanently.

It's not pretty, and Swofford will look very bad initially, but he can't afford to go half way again.

In 5 years, however, when the ACC tourney tips off in MSG, no one will care how it got done, and I'm sure he realizes that.

I think his plan was take Pitt and SU, thereby creating another tremor that would allow for major realignment. That would allow him to kill the BE, while looking like just one of the guys, and not being labeled as the guy that took it all down himself.

Now that the major realignment is off the table, he may be forced to make the final move himself, which was- I'm sure- not his plan.

The BE is now in position to re-stabilize itself, and come out fairly strong. The bball is still fantastic, and the football is really not changed significantly.

While ACC hoops is still stronger, the BE will likely still be the top bball conference.

(My quick math- the BE has 6 annual FF contenders- UConn, Nova, WVU, ND, Gtown, Ville. While the ACC has 4- Pitt, SU, Duke, UNC)

This move as it currently stands does not make up for the sins of 03. Where football stayed the same, and bball clearly got worse.

If he wants to achieve his goal, which is to make the ACC the pre-eminent bball conf again, he's gotta kill the BE. That means grab UConn and RU. That will force WVU, Ville, and Cincy to the Big 12, and eliminate the BE as a viable bball threat permanently.

It's not pretty, and Swofford will look very bad initially, but he can't afford to go half way again.

In 5 years, however, when the ACC tourney tips off in MSG, no one will care how it got done, and I'm sure he realizes that.
Syracuse and Pitt are merely lures to increase presence in the Northeast for the big fish...he will not add UConn or Rutgers anytime soon. I also dont agree that Bigeast is stronger...its close but i would chose ACC. I wouldnt call GTown and ND ANNUAL FF contenders.

and the Big 9 may very well do the dirty work for Swofford by taking at least WVU and maybe the Ville.

I dont think ACC can resist the Uconn men and womens hoop carrot. THAT makes the ACC the unquestioned best.

Go to 15, and hold, with the hopes of luring ND as an "all in."

No way to lure ND in of the BE still exists. Invite UConn then hope Louisville and WVU go the Big12.

I'm leaning toward wanting the ACC to add UConn and go 15 right away. Make a statement that they will be chosing a 16th team from among the many begging them to goin with 2 weeks.

This effectively ends the BE.

This solidifies the ACC as the best hoops conference and obliterates recruiting competition against the ACC in the north east other than maybe UK.

And your giving ND notice that they have 2 weeks if they want in.

strong move and one that i would expect to see. At this point i think it is even money that ND joins the ACC

Not sure I agree with that. Even if everyone says they're done, I don't believe it. I don't believe that the SEC stays at 13. Not a good number.

Agree with finishing what you started. Invite UConn (getting more share of NYC market) that would really put the pressure on ND to join the ACC & leaves Rutgers out to dry. No way the Big Ten takes them alone as Delaney is smart enough to realize it won't do squat for their financials.

Swofford & Co. in no way, shape or form should give a darn about perception here. The reality is (as JB eluded to in all of his media tour engagements yesterday) expansion has been going on for years and will continue to go on...this is nothing new. And, everyone it affects is a pure hypocrite (as JB pointed out when the Big East raided the A-10 & Conf. USA) with their holier than thou attitude as they then turn around and raid themselves afterwards.

And, what a joke coming out of last night's BE meeting that the remaining football members are committed...right! UConn sent an intern to the meeting ;). The only thing they are committed to is adultery and as soon as the hotter babe (ACC, BiG, SEC) makes her foreseen advances, they'll be gone regardless of whatever new & improved future Prenup that Big East officials had drawn up...

And, what a joke coming out of last night's BE meeting that the remaining football members are committed...right! UConn sent an intern to the meeting ;). The only thing they are committed to is adultery and as soon as the hotter babe (ACC, BiG, SEC) makes her foreseen advances, they'll be gone regardless of whatever new & improved future Prenup that Big East officials had drawn up...

Yeah, if they were so committed to the Big East why didn't they increase the buyout like the ACC did? Why not show your committment by making it financially difficult for you to leave? They're in the Big East for as long as they don't have an offer or acceptance from a better conference.

If as some have suggested, that Swofford/ACC's plan was to have the best basketball conference, why would they take Rutgers (with UConn)in an attempt to "destroy" the BE? Why not take a team like WVU or Louisville that has a better Football and Basketball program? I like the idea of adding UConn and leaving the 16th spot open for a ND or maybe PSU. If we can't fill it with a big name there will be plenty of Plan B options that would love to take it.

EDIT: Also, I know the ACC likely wouldn't be interested, but as a fan I would love to see the ACC bulk up the Basketball league with Georgetown, Villanova, St. John's and Seton Hall.

The ACC cares more about football than the popular opinion. In the first Big East raid the ACC took 3 football schools and the member institutions that were dragging their butt on improving football has since made huge strides; just look at UNC and Wake as an example. Duke is slowly getting there, but the improvement is night and day from when they first hired their current head coach David Cutcliffe.

The ACC wants Notre Dame and Penn State and there is actually a pretty good chance to land one or both. Seeing how the Big12 may stay in tact and the Pac12 and B1G seems content with just 12 members and the SEC will likely grab a 14th member from some place. I think the ACC will feel content holding at 14 and give PSU and Notre Dame a little longer to think about joining the ACC.

I don't think WVU, ND, or G'Town are any more "annual FF contenders" than Maryland, G-Tech, and until VERY RECENTLY, Wake. (Remember, Wake only slipped in 2008 or 2009 - after its coach, Skip Prosser, died... and they seem to be recruiting very well of late)

Not saying those ACC schools are CURRENTLY on equal footing with WVU, ND, & G'Town, but over the last 15-20 years I might give the edge to the ACC threesome above.

I don't think the big east has any chance to come out stronger, but I do agree that the ACC should deal the death blow by bringing in some combo of UCONN/Rutgers/L'Ville/WFVU, academic standards be danged.

The Big East should go back to being what it does best - basketball, and basketball only.

The ACC cares more about football than the popular opinion. In the first Big East raid the ACC took 3 football schools and the member institutions that were dragging their butt on improving football has since made huge strides; just look at UNC and Wake as an example. Duke is slowly getting there, but the improvement is night and day from when they first hired their current head coach David Cutcliffe.

The ACC wants Notre Dame and Penn State and there is actually a pretty good chance to land one or both. Seeing how the Big12 may stay in tact and the Pac12 and B1G seems content with just 12 members and the SEC will likely grab a 14th member from some place. I think the ACC will feel content holding at 14 and give PSU and Notre Dame a little longer to think about joining the ACC.
+1. The ACC has much bigger plans than UCONN and Rutgers. It will wait on ND to decide and then hope to lure PSU. UCONN and Rutgers aren't likely to be gobbled up by any other confernce so they will be there in case ND decides to remain indy.

The Big East can be quite similar to what it was at its founding:
Georgetown
Villanova
Seton Hall
St. John's
PC
keep ND as long as they stay indy for fb
add:
Xavier
Temple (they're currently MAC for FB/A10 for everything else)
and one or two of : URI/Holy Cross/Duquesne/LaSalle/Drexel/Bucknell

That's a nice hoops league, and they can play home and homes again.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom