SXM top 1000 Alternative Songs | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

SXM top 1000 Alternative Songs

I guess it's up to interpretation. When I think alternative I think 90s Pearl Jam, Stp, Green Day, chili peppers, Nirvana etc etc.

I agree - my original post was more a dig at Alannis Morrisette being a carefully crafted rockstar by MCA than some of the other acts that you mentioned that pushed their genre into the mainstream.

I guess, I just found it ironic she's on the alternative list. All I really want is that if you write a list like this, you oughta know, or at least you learn, what a a true alternative musician is.

I agree - my original post was more a dig at Alannis Morrisette being a carefully crafted rockstar by MCA than some of the other acts that you mentioned that pushed their genre into the mainstream.

I guess, I just found it ironic she's on the alternative list. All I really want is that if you write a list like this, you oughta know, or at least you learn, what a a true alternative musician is.
Thank U

Love Pearl Jam.

My favorite radio station is 100.9 in cuse. I don’t live there anymore but I have yet to find a station that plays so many new rock songs I love. Great throwbacks too.

Yeah, boring American rock hijacked what was previously an interesting “alternative” music scene.
Ehh. It’s much better than the glam rock it replaced.

Ehh. It’s much better than the glam rock it replaced.
There was a generation’s worth of “alternative,” “modern rock,” “Post punk,” or whatever you want to call it that never had its commercial day. It was overcome by the Seattle scene because it was easier to classify and macho enough to market to fraternity brothers.

It’s also hard not to resent Pearl Jam and STP for opening the doors for Bush and then Hootie, and eventually Creed, 3 Doors Down, and finally Nickelback. Ugh

It’s also hard not to resent Pearl Jam and STP for opening the doors for Bush and then Hootie, and eventually Creed, 3 Doors Down, and finally Nickelback. Ugh
That's the harshest thing ever said on this site. LOL

Also, I hate Bush, Creed and Nickelback...

I love creed and hootie. I wouldn't put hootie in the alternative class though.

For the 1995 Alanis album MCA distilled the attitude of bands like L7, Babes in Toyland, 7 Year Bitch, Slater-Kinney and got Glen Ballard to give the finished product a glossy pop sheen.

Thanks for posting this list. Best part of these rankings is the nostalgia factor and the debate that goes along with what's included and what's not. I found a playlist on Spotify from someone who took the time to put it together (I sure wasn't going to do it). Solid list in terms of popularity. Can't complain much about the top 200 or so, except for placement. A few things IMO:
  • 99% of cover songs should be disqualified - Why do we need "Sweet Dreams" by Marilyn Manson when Eurythmics is on the list? Same with songs like the Ataris's version of "Boys of Summer." Really?
  • Lots of great songs that could replace marginal covers - "Radiation Vibe" by Fountains of Wayne"; "Here Comes the Fear" by Doves; "Am I Wry? No" by Mew; "Hate to Say I Told You So" by the Hives, "One Day Like This" by Elbow, "Many of Horror" by Biffy Clyro, etc.
  • Queens of the Stone Age is underrepresented
Of course, none of this is opinion. ;)

In terms of modern alternative, I have been on a big Oliver Tree kick. Weird and funny dude but his songs are great.

I’m not sure I’m going to get out of this thread without fist fighting both of you.

Glam rock ruled.

90’s alternative ruled.

Get off my lawn.
I'll admit to getting caught up in the feeling with some glam rock, but it really hasn't held up well.

And if you must, bring it!

I'll admit to getting caught up in the feeling with some glam rock, but it really hasn't held up well.

And if you must, bring it!
I loved the glam rock of the 70s (e.g., New York Dolls, Bowie, Roxy Music, T-Rex, Sparks), but I don't think it's to that you are referring.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cuseman17

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom