Symir Torrence Transferring from Marquette to Syracuse | Page 8 | Syracusefan.com

Symir Torrence Transferring from Marquette to Syracuse

Status
Not open for further replies.
That’s just crazy lol. Girard is the better player and it’s not close IMO.
Better then who? Chaz Owens? Joe can shoot a 30 ft 3 pointer better and that’s about it

From 24-7 yesterday:
So far Torrence has heard from UMass, Siena, UAlbany, Wake Forest, Washington, South Florida and Murray State and has talked in depth on his fit with UMass, South Carolina, Siena, and UAlbany.
Now there's an impressive list of programs.

And Shaka Smart called him and wanted him to stay.

Welcome, Symir. I remember following his recruiting thread and thinking it'd be cool if we could get most of the City Rock kids (can Isaiah Stewart come play with his boys, lol), but were guard heavy at the time.

Losing Kadary stinks, but I am ready for this whacky COVID season to be in the rearview mirror and excited to see what our team can do in a "normal" season with the off-season summer program, preseason practice and full schedule.

Better then who? Chaz Owens? Joe can shoot a 30 ft 3 pointer better and that’s about it

Look at their AAU stats. Torrance is worse than Girard. Look at his stats at Marquette. He's done nothing at D1. Not even flashes of anything.

i don’t think a single person is comparing Symir to Elijah. The point is when we got Elijah many many people here asked why the hell were we bringing in a kid from ECU that averaged 6 ppg. There was a lot of snark just like there is now with Symir. And no, Symir will not be going to the nba next year.
I sure as heck didn't write Eli's name anywhere in this thread. Must be someone else.

I'm just rooting for him to be good enough to go to the NBA after next season.

Because the 21-22 team is going to need that kind of talent.

Sht happens.

We lost a really good player, and that sucks. Almost immediately we signed what could become a really good player.

This kid is not a nobody. He was a top 100, 4 star player. There is talent to work with. He knows buddy and joe, and apparently liked playing with them enough to come here and do it again.

Kadary obviously didn’t like playing with those guys. Maybe the chemistry can help make up for the talent drop off. Who knows.

Yesterday the sky was falling. Today we’ve got a reasonable replacement on board. Braswell and Ajak barely qualify as losses. Braswell somewhat, Ajak not at all.

Other guys may leave but they haven’t yet. So right now we’re not exactly dead compared to where we were on Saturday night.

I don’t know if you guys noticed, but the team wasn’t exactly awesome this year. Trading out some unhappy players may not be the worst thing in the world.

Richmond was a pretty good player with a pretty bad attitude. In some ways, Torrence is an upgrade.
It seemed like Richmond had good potential, but wasn't great (yet) offensively. I'm sorry to see him go. But I wonder how much he would have improved at Syracuse with that mindset. Gutierrez's article in the Athletic quotes Richmond as saying, "I wanted to go somewhere I could play without restrictions and have a chance to showcase my game. ... One thing I can show people now is that I actually have the ability to shoot the basketball." Ideally, a point guard should be thinking about getting the ball to teammates who are open, rather than auditioning for the NBA.

I sure as heck didn't write Eli's name anywhere in this thread. Must be someone else.

I'm just rooting for him to be good enough to go to the NBA after next season.

Because the 21-22 team is going to need that kind of talent.

no, but you said you look forward to Symir going to the nba next year in response to a post about Elijah saying hi.

Pros
Is a former top 100 recruit and the SU staff is familiar with his game because he is a local product
Played with Buddy and Girard in AAU ball so he might have some chemistry with them immediately
Has combo guard skills so he can play alongside both returning Gs
Has the physical profile of someone who can be a strong defender in the zone

Negatives
His numbers as a freshman were never going to be incredible playing with Markus Howard, but there were other backcourt minutes available and he did not earn many of them
Sophomore year appears to be a lost year
Did not make much of an impact in two years; will have to make a huge leap in development to be a winning ACC player next year
Other schools in the mix for his services were not encouraging

He can be a solid pickup but I agree with the people saying it's probably best to go in with lower expectations.

no, but you said you look forward to Symir going to the nba next year in response to a post about Elijah saying hi.
I'm hoping he does have the same career arc as Eli as the quote alluded to.

I hope for his sake he is. Based on what I’m seeing, no one in the backcourt is a fan favorite. Buddy plays too many minutes. Joe is fat, slow and took Kadary’s job. Symir committed the worst sin of all, not being Saint Kadary.

Nice summation.

It's the perfect framing for the constantly aggrieved.

It seemed like Richmond had good potential, but wasn't great (yet) offensively. I'm sorry to see him go. But I wonder how much he would have improved at Syracuse with that mindset. Gutierrez's article in the Athletic quotes Richmond as saying, "I wanted to go somewhere I could play without restrictions and have a chance to showcase my game. ... One thing I can show people now is that I actually have the ability to shoot the basketball." Ideally, a point guard should be thinking about getting the ball to teammates who are open, rather than auditioning for the NBA.
Or he doesn’t like the fact that he once took a wide open jumper and his coach screamed at him to drive? JG3 got double the opportunities and only averaged .4 more assists per game. you think joe is a pass first point guard? he’s a ridiculously undersized 2 guard playing the 1.

Don't forget the group that feels everything is perfect and there is not one thing anyone needs to do better and the rest are a bunch of haters and non fans.

The sad part is .. even Symir turns out GREAT - and he really finds himself and develops his game and plays a big part in our success next year ... deep down this was not JBs plan. JB didn’t see Symir in the portal and tell Kadary to leave. It’s still bad roster management no matter what happens; even if Kadary regresses and Symir improves
Exactly, the portal is clouding much bigger issues.

who knows what went on this yr.. Even kids who played had issues with Covid. look at Buddy much of the yr and how he finished.. Joe had issues too but people just dismiss it.. kadary played hurt all yr. who knows what issues this kid had that might have effected his on court game

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom