Syracuse’s big basketball Class of 2022 is trickling into town: ‘Everyone’s super excited’ | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Syracuse’s big basketball Class of 2022 is trickling into town: ‘Everyone’s super excited’

The flock are all these Instagram and tik tok “shooting experts”? I can bust all these guys asses, no bjorn.

It’s the videos in them as proof. Not someone’s words.

If he's open, which Buddy was in all of those clips and which Bunch was in his.

I guess we'll have to wait and see. I think Bunch is going to have trouble getting his shot off unless he's got a better release than he showed in the video.

Most 3’s are taken with some room, otherwise they don’t get taken unless it’s forced.

Place some bets on his freshman year shooting % then!

why is that?? We’re that loaded that we just need a guy to make wide open shots?

Edwards is the only guy that’s proven he could play for anyone, IMO.

I have high hopes for Mintz, but we’ll see. I had high hopes for Jalen Carey and Kaleb Joseph too.

I think Girard will do well playing more off the ball, but we’ll see.

Benny averaged like 1 ppg.

I’m not comfortable saying Bunch just needs to knock down wide open shots and that’s enough, like the rest of our team has actually done something.

Sorry if that sounds pessimistic. I think we should be better than last year, at least.
Well, let's go ahead and assume everyone besides Edwards and Girard is going to be terrible. The two of them are going to demand double teams which are going to create room for other guys to do... something... with the space they are granted by the attention on Edwards and Girard.

wrote this in the recruiting board:

These gym videos are dumb.

Ben Simmons was knock down in a gym video. Remember hoodie Melo?

His shot isn’t great, but it’s not catastrophic. He prob won’t be lights out.

And finally, please stop comparing shooting form to NBA players. There are other attributes at hand that impact shooting ability for the best players in the world if they don’t have perfect form that Bunch does not have.

He’ll be fine. Rebounding, defense, motor. Hit an open shot here or there.

How are we talking about the Warriors? Steph is the greatest shooter in the history of basketball and Klay is top five.

Btw, to be clear, I think Bunch and JT are going to burn this year. And it’s going to come down to who picks up the D, who can board and who can make the smart play on O when his opportunity is called.

Not worried about draining five 3s in a game.

It’s definitely a low release, like Josh Wright.

Thankfully he’s a solid 6 inches taller than Wright, so hopefully that helps.
Look I don’t care about form if it’s natural and it goes in. But in that video the first thing that struck me was how jerky it was. Weird because I don’t see it in his game tapes

Btw, to be clear, I think Bunch and JT are going to burn this year. And it’s going to come down to who picks up the D, who can board and who can make the smart play on O when his opportunity is called.

Not worried about draining five 3s in a game.
Totally agree it’s rebounding and D for these guys

Well, let's go ahead and assume everyone besides Edwards and Girard is going to be terrible. The two of them are going to demand double teams which are going to create room for other guys to do... something... with the space they are granted by the attention on Edwards and Girard.
Girard is someone who definitely has to be accounted for - I don’t see him demanding double teams though.

I guess I just don’t see the overall talent level being that high where we just need a 5th guy to make some open 3’s - like a Matt Roe on those loaded teams. We need guys doing more than one thing. Hoping Bunch provides that shooting, but also can run the floor and get some easy buckets, attack the rim some, get some hustle points, etc. Overall we just need more guys who do more things well out there.

You’re undervaluing Buddy quite a bit. Shooting percentages don’t tell the entire story.

Those defenders who guarded Buddy last year will be on Girard so I wouldn’t expect his percentages to be as good.
Agreed…but but but stats!

My hope is that Sy and Mintz do a better job of ball rotation and drive and dish than Joe.

We did a lot of isos because Joe just couldn’t beat his defender off the bounce and defenders never had to help. So we gave the ball to others to iso.

I hope that changes this year. Taylor or Bunch are going to be the shooters that gets the best looks. The guy that can knock them down is going to get run.

We’ll see a lot about Jessie this year. He benefitted immensely because defenders had to guard the 3 and almost never doubled down. That’s going to change this year.

Our best chance to dance ride on Mintz being able to demand defensive attention and limit turnovers.

I’m curious about Carey if he’s strictly a 5 or if he can play with Jessie. If not, we need a rebounder to step up at the 4.

I hope Benny makes a huge jump, but I’m skeptical.

I think Q redshirts.

That’s the problem with freshman, you just don’t know who’s showing up more ready to play and can adjust.

Brown might be the best of them all. Keita played over Fab their freshman year.

Most 3’s are taken with some room, otherwise they don’t get taken unless it’s forced.
Agreed, he is going to be given time and space to shoot, or he won’t (shouldn’t) take the shot. But that form isn’t going to get it done if he’s asked to be a main 3 point weapon.

He may never be asked to have that role. And I actually doubt he will.

I think everyone is looking at the wrong part of his shot. He’s got almost zero lift which really exacerbates the release point. It’s the combination of the two that’s the issue. He’s going to have to be really crafty to be effective from deep.

His shot reminds me of Motens…all Moten did was back up a step to get separation…but his numbers sucked from 3.

The only guy I’ve seen shoot really well consistently with that little lift was Shumpert,..who had a crazy high and quick release.

Having said all that, all he has to do is prove he can hit wide open threes and use ball fakes to beat defenders off the drive.

If he shows up thinking he’s just going to audition his deep game for the league, he’s going see more pine that he wants.

Gerry had incredible lift, it made up for him being 6 foot. This photo and what you see from Bunch are quite different.

1653690546043.jpeg

Last edited:
Agreed…but but but stats!

My hope is that Sy and Mintz do a better job of ball rotation and drive and dish than Joe.

We did a lot of isos because Joe just couldn’t beat his defender off the bounce and defenders never had to help. So we gave the ball to others to iso.

I hope that changes this year. Taylor or Bunch are going to be the shooters that gets the best looks. The guy that can knock them down is going to get run.

We’ll see a lot about Jessie this year. He benefitted immensely because defenders had to guard the 3 and almost never doubled down. That’s going to change this year.

Our best chance to dance ride on Mintz being able to demand defensive attention and limit turnovers.

I’m curious about Carey if he’s strictly a 5 or if he can play with Jessie. If not, we need a rebounder to step up at the 4.

I hope Benny makes a huge jump, but I’m skeptical.

I think Q redshirts.

That’s the problem with freshman, you just don’t know who’s showing up more ready to play and can adjust.

Brown might be the best of them all. Keita played over Fab their freshman year.
I can’t even see Bunch getting much PT unless there’s an injury. Taylor will be the starter and will play most the minutes. I think we’ll see Symir, Joe and Mintz much more than we will Bunch at the 3. Let’s see what happens.

Agreed, he is going to be given time and space to shoot, or he won’t (shouldn’t) take the shot. But that form isn’t going to get it done if he’s asked to be a main 3 point weapon.

I think everyone is looking at the wrong part of his shot. He’s got almost zero lift which really exacerbates the release point. It’s the combination of the two that’s the issue. He’s going to have to be really crafty to be effective from deep.

His shot reminds me of Motens…all Moten did was back up a step to get separation…but his numbers sucked from 3.

The only guy I’ve seen shoot really well consistently with that little lift was Shumpert,..who had a crazy high and quick release.

Having said all that, all he has to do is prove he can hit wide open threes and use ball fakes to beat defenders off the drive.

If he shows up thinking he’s just going to audition his deep game for the league, he’s going see more pine that he wants.

Gerry had incredible lift, it made up for him being 6 foot. This photo and what you see from Bunch are quite different.

View attachment 217432

I’m not worried at all about his mechanics. I’m more worried about him being a streaky shooter. His lift and release point aren’t much different than a lot of players. Some players have ridiculous lift, many don’t. Those videos I posted are very telling as far as lift and release point.

I can’t even see Bunch getting much PT unless there’s an injury. Taylor will be the starter and will play most the minutes. I think we’ll see Symir, Joe and Mintz much more than we will Bunch at the 3. Let’s see what happens.

I love Taylor’s all around game. But I have a feeling Bunch starts.

Boeheim likes to start shooters and bring energy guys off the bench. But I’m not sure which on is which. Wouldn’t be surprised if Bunch gets first crack, but Taylor wins out.

That could be too. I’m fine with either. Let the coaches sort it out. It’s just a gut feel I have.

I’m not worried at all about his mechanics. I’m more worried about him being a streaky shooter. His lift and release point aren’t much different than a lot of players. Some players have ridiculous lift, many don’t. Those videos I posted are very telling as far as lift and release point.
Bunch shot reminds me a little of Bill Bradley.

View attachment 217432

Not a SU guy but I saw a pic of Doncic shooting the step back 3 and I'm not certain his feet were even off the floor. You don't have to jump if you can create room, and you don't have to be exceptionally quick to create room, just clever and creative. Taller helps, too.

One of them down low in the zone? Or man to man? Or a different type of zone?