Syracuse AD John Wildhack Q&A discusses potential Babers extension, Boeheim succession | Syracusefan.com

Syracuse AD John Wildhack Q&A discusses potential Babers extension, Boeheim succession

From everything I've read I just get the feeling that Dino is someone that doesn't want his personal business aired out there until things are finalized, and it seems like Wildhack understands that. Does that mean he's here coaching for a long time? Who knows. Just seems like how he prefers to do business.

No angst here. I think it's Dino's preference to wait until the offseason and Wildhack is honoring that. And it would seem from reports here or there that Dino finds this kind of thing important (UCF blabbing about hiring him before their Bowling Green season had ended, ended their hope of getting him).

Liked the part where Wildhack mentioned the crowds for Louisville and NC State.

Loved the part where Wildhack was talking about the dome and retaining a HC for the long haul.

Wildhack just showed how irrelevant the regular season is for college basketball.
I appreciate him telling it the way it is.
College hoops is a glorified exhibition season to do just enough to get into the March tournament.
Dino will get paid. I am not worried the extension hasn’t been announced. We need to just do the small stuff that matters to Dino. The $$$ won’t be why he leaves.
The only thing missing was the question about the uniforms.
Which suck and really just change the numerals and get rid of the metallic orange in the helmet.

Cue the angst in one, two, three...

I think both Dino and Wildhack have made it pretty clear that we won't hear anything about an extension until the off season. People keep drilling down and get the same answers. If it gets to be summer of 2019 and there is still no extension then I can understand some angst, until then I would just enjoy the end of the season. I don't know how many times they can answer the questions with the same answer. Translation--- IMO would be he's working on it everyday with Dino's agent and they will get there shortly or maybe have already bit nobody will really know until after the season.

Tinfoil hat outlook-- some of the big college coaches may get NFL jobs and that could still makes things interesting say Oklahoma?

Wildhack just showed how irrelevant the regular season is for college basketball.
College hoops is a glorified exhibition season to do just enough to get into the March tournament.
Dino will get paid. I am not worried the extension hasn’t been announced. We need to just do the small stuff that matters to Dino. The $$$ won’t be why he leaves.
The only thing missing was the question about the uniforms.
Which suck and really just change the numerals and get rid of the metallic orange in the helmet.

The uni question will be answerable after the new Nike deal gets done, IMO.

I think he was very smart in answering the CFB vs CBB question. He knows which side butters the bread for the conference, even with the ACC's history of CBB greatness.

I'm also glad he's got a ton of experience negotiating contracts.

Dino has an agent that can work on an extension in-season or out of season. Have to think everything should have been worked out by now. The longer the wait the worse is gets for Syracuse just from the fact that salaries for his peers are going up. They'll need to write a bigger check.

I think both Dino and Wildhack have made it pretty clear that we won't hear anything about an extension until the off season. People keep drilling down and get the same answers. If it gets to be summer of 2019 and there is still no extension then I can understand some angst, until then I would just enjoy the end of the season. I don't know how many times they can answer the questions with the same answer. Translation--- IMO would be he's working on it everyday with Dino's agent and they will get there shortly or maybe have already bit nobody will really know until after the season.

Tinfoil hat outlook-- some of the big college coaches may get NFL jobs and that could still makes things interesting say Oklahoma?

I dont have a problem with anything he said

Dino has an agent that can work on an extension in-season or out of season. Have to think everything should have been worked out by now. The longer the wait the worse is gets for Syracuse just from the fact that salaries for his peers are going up. They'll need to write a bigger check.

Dino is no dummy, and either is his agent. The "longer the wait' really seems to benefit the Dino camp, they know this, it's called leverage. And, in ALL negotiations, the one with the greater amount of leverage, dictates the procedures. Of course, SU has its bottom line, as all parties do. Whatever that figure is for them, they'll presumably had weighed all of the likely drawbacks, cons, etc. in coming up with that amount vs. starting anew and the risk of what all of that ensues.

My only take on this is that Wildhack seemed to be focusing on the non-salary items. Maybe that's more important to Dino. :noidea:

The more money, the bigger the buy-out. It's not a bad trade-off.

He’s not going anywhere. It’s just not happening. He will get paid, his staff will get paid, the team will become consistently competitive. This is coming from someone who has PTSD as a result of the last 17 years of his Syracuse Football fandom. I think where doubt creeps in to the minds of many of us diehards, is that we are caught in the mentality of the late 90s/early to mid 2000s, where the athletic department was cheap, uncommitted to the program, etc...

The ACC money has changed everything. Our athletic director is an alum and a business man. There is a commitment to the betterment and development of the program. There is, seemingly, pride there again. We are never going to be Alabama or Clemson. We have, and will have, enough resources that will give us the occasional shot.

Dino will leave for seemingly greener pastures if he wants to, not because he doesn’t have the tools that his predecessors lacked. We finally have, enough.

I think he's talking more about money. The viewer numbers for regular season b'ball games are for the most part no more than a tiny fraction of many college football games. These ratings are what drive tv contracts. When people are actually watching, i.e. during the NCAA tournament, college basketball approaches college football regular season numbers. And that's why the NCAA got a multibillion dollar tv contract. The ACC tv contract, by contrast, is probably weighted 70-30 in favor of football.

What I read:

Dear Children,

Enjoy the bowl and our return to national prominence. I am handling Dino’s extension and once (if not already) finalized it’ll be announced on Dino’s terms so as to not distract from the upcoming bowl.

I would simply be amazed if there was not constant back and forth happening between agent and JW. What the public hears and what is happening behind the scenes are two different things.

I would simply be amazed if there was not constant back and forth happening between agent and JW. What the public hears and what is happening behind the scenes are two different things.

100% agree. if it wasn't happening, then neither agent nor AD is doing their jobs. i don't buy the argument, that discussions are tabled until after the season. i do find it believable, however, that dino does not want it discussed publicly. so, the question becomes, any incentive to not make it publicly known if an extension has been reached? a possibility is, if the information isn't out there, maybe it puts syracuse at a competitive advantage when negotiating with future successors. also, maybe it puts dino in a competitive advantage when negotiating with potential suitors down the road. that could be viewed as a win-win. other than that, not sure what other benefits there could be from keeping a deal private.

another way to view the situation is what are the benefits to either party of making an extension known. some possibilities are it may help with recruiting, but dino could always share it with the recruit privately. moreover, it could alleviate the constant questioning from the fans and press. it could also possibility help sell tickets. however, i think those benefits seem marginal at best.

I'm just spit balling here, but dino seems not only smart, but above average smart. i'm hoping, based on the above, the silence is a strategic play, although i have to admit, my gut tells me we don't have an agreed upon extension yet, and it makes me wonder why. lastly, with that being said, it seems like there are not any realistic job openings for next season. maybe dino is looking at the season after next...

Seems plausible to me that Dino doesn't want to deal with it until after the season. I'd be surprised if he's not working upwards of 16 hours a day and has been since July. He might want to wait until his plate is mostly empty. His agent can only go so far without Dino reviewing the issues himself.