Syracuse adds Ohio to 2022 schedule | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Syracuse adds Ohio to 2022 schedule

Iv said it once and ill say it a million more times, greatest thing to happen to Syracuse athletics is the removal of The Great DR. Daryl Gross everyone. Heres a real question with Wildhack as are AD do you think the chances of Maronne sticking around greater?
100% nope.
His goal was always NFL despite his "dream job" quote, and unless Syracuse would match his Buffalo offer, there was no shot. While Wildhack has shown a willingness to spend more...or should I say convince the B.O.T. to spend more, I can't see him convincing the B.O.T. to pay 4 mil a year on Marrone in 2012, especially when he had as many losing seasons as he had winning seasons.
It was no secret that he did not care for the recruiting/academic aspect of his job. In the NFL he could eat, sleep, and breathe football, with athletes who can eat, breath, and sleep football. That isn't possible in college.

I have mixed feelings about the good doctor. He certainly had flubs, but he found ways to increase revenues for athletics such as the sideline seating at basketball. He oversaw major improvements to the dome playing surface. He improved Olympic sports. And it was Dr. Gross who was at the helm when SU made the move to the ACC
So because of Gross we got new field turf, and courtside seating that about 1% of the population can afford, and we got better at the sports that provide absolutely zero revenue for the athletic dept. The move to the ACC would have happened no matter who was at the helm. The Big East was a sinking ship, and it was a no brainer.
Oh...don't forget about the video ribbon thingy in the Dome too.;)

So because of Gross we got new field turf, and courtside seating that about 1% of the population can afford, and we got better at the sports that provide absolutely zero revenue for the athletic dept. The move to the ACC would have happened no matter who was at the helm. The Big East was a sinking ship, and it was a no brainer.
Oh...don't forget about the video ribbon thingy in the Dome too.;)
What's your point about court-side seating? Doesn't really matter what percent can afford or who is buying them as long as somebody is buying them and they are hence more revenue.

Jake dropped the ball on the first ACC move. So no, it wasn't necessarily a slam dunk.

Jake said Field Turf was impossible and just liked to spray paint. Gross made it happen.

Olympic sports matter to students. The ones who pay the real bills. No they don't generate revenue like our semi-pro teams but SU isn't a pro franchise, it's an educational institution and maintaining a reputation outside of the Dome sports is important.

I prefer the ribbons to the old concrete slabs, not sure what your gripe is here either. I'm also pretty sure we paid nothing or close to it for them as Pepsi footed the bill to lock us into a contract.

Gross got us in the ACC... let that sink in

He did the priority A thing...for that he was ok in my book

Back to adding Ohio...they should give us a good test. We should win 90-95% of the time. The downside...Athens, OH is a nice town in a pretty area but nowhere near the recruit areas of Ohio. It makes sense to offer a guarantee. Akron, Kent, Toledo, Bowling Green are much closer to recruits...offer them 2 for 1s

Back to adding Ohio...they should give us a good test. We should win 90-95% of the time. The downside...Athens, OH is a nice town in a pretty area but nowhere near the recruit areas of Ohio. It makes sense to offer a guarantee. Akron, Kent, Toledo, Bowling Green are much closer to recruits...offer them 2 for 1s

I understand the desire to play schools that are near our recruits, but for all we know they tried to get games against such teams and those slots weren't available. Besides, if we had scheduled a series with Tulane or UNLV, I don't think anybody would be complaining about proximity to recruits. :)

Little over an hour from Columbus to Athens and 2.5 hours from Cincy to Athens is not too bad for recruits if we ever play down there. Great little town and the nicest MAC campus IMHO. I'd be lining up BG, Kent and Akron every chance I could get. Toledo not so much as they could pull the upset more so than most MAC schools.

What's your point about court-side seating? Doesn't really matter what percent can afford or who is buying them as long as somebody is buying them and they are hence more revenue.

Jake dropped the ball on the first ACC move. So no, it wasn't necessarily a slam dunk.

Jake said Field Turf was impossible and just liked to spray paint. Gross made it happen.

Olympic sports matter to students. The ones who pay the real bills. No they don't generate revenue like our semi-pro teams but SU isn't a pro franchise, it's an educational institution and maintaining a reputation outside of the Dome sports is important.

I prefer the ribbons to the old concrete slabs, not sure what your gripe is here either. I'm also pretty sure we paid nothing or close to it for them as Pepsi footed the bill to lock us into a contract.
My point is, that when you point to Gross's accomplishments that were mentioned above, it's mainly fluff. Jake not getting the fluff, and Gross succeeding in getting the fluff is more of an indictment of Jakes final years, than it is proof that Gross accomplished meaningful things. Jake dropped the ball on the ACC...yes. Gross didn't.

I like the turf
I like the ribbons
I like being in the ACC

I never said I didn't.

It is great to see the AD office becoming proactive and professionally run again. Thank God for John Wildhack.

I wonder how he did it without firing Frazier?

Good to see the editors editing. Heard the journos original title was "Syracuse to pay FCS Ohio an ungodly sum of $850,000 to beat them in the Carrier Dome in 2022"

Good to see the editors editing. Heard the journos original title was "Syracuse to pay FCS Ohio an ungodly sum of $850,000 to beat them in the Carrier Dome in 2022"
Hey you think the Syracuse.com writers actually come here first everyday? LOL don't answer that.

Niko Tamurian gives his early success to scooping stories from Orangeyes...he would read his links and off he went. The old heads couldn't figure out how he found all those stories to scoop them. Niko is super appreciative of this board and the heavy lifters here...I'd say he is the most beloved sports media guy in CNY.

Last edited:
After Liberty came up to FBS, all the Virginia teams scheduled them on a long term basis. That makes sense, short travel for fans and the teams and an easier G5 team to play. I see that BC, Uconn and Army scheduled UMASS, probably for the same reasons, why no SU. What gives. They play their home games against P5 teams at Gillette.

After Liberty came up to FBS, all the Virginia teams scheduled them on a long term basis. That makes sense, short travel for fans and the teams and an easier G5 team to play. I see that BC, Uconn and Army scheduled UMASS, probably for the same reasons, why no SU. What gives. They play their home games against P5 teams at Gillette.

It's probably just to piss you off at this point. ;)

Hey you think the Syracuse.com writers actually come here first everyday? LOL don't answer that.

Niko Tamurian gives his early success to scooping stories from Orangeyes...he would read his links and off he went. The old heads couldn't figure out who he found all those stories to scoop them. Niko is super appreciative of this board and the heavy lifters here...I'd say he is the most beloved sports media guy in CNY.
I know you know that I hang out on this board just to push my own sardonic agenda.

I swear it's got nothing to do with you brilliant old guys.

Some people just can't admit that overall, TGD was good for SU.

A perspective from my little corner of the Orange universe:
If we weren't in the P5 ACC (even though the caliber of competition can be brutal) my interest level in our beloved Orangemen (I know, The Orange) would be near zero. I'm sure that's true for many of you. So whatever or whoever got us in there deserves great credit. We're a small private university playing in the big time and we're building. It's only sports, but it's great feeling to see the potential unleashed. A feeling I felt most acutely when storming the field after the Clemson victory. That ain't happening with an East Carolina win.

Concessions are a big chunk. I once heard that SU grossed $250,000 per home game on beer sales alone when attendance was at its peak in the early-mid '90s. Number of sales are probably way down from that, but prices are higher, so it's likely that the gross is still significant.
I think my section alone drank that during the G-Rob years.

Watching today's basketball game, I just noticed that Miami doesn't come to the Dome for a football game until 2024. That's a joke. I know ACC scheduling is tricky and such but to have such a long wait before we play them again and to only have them come here to town like once every 10-15 years or whatever it is has to be fixed.

Not sure how you fix it, well add another conference game I guess but how the ACC schedules needs to be addressed.

Watching today's basketball game, I just noticed that Miami doesn't come to the Dome for a football game until 2024. That's a joke. I know ACC scheduling is tricky and such but to have such a long wait before we play them again and to only have them come here to town like once every 10-15 years or whatever it is has to be fixed.

Not sure how you fix it, well add another conference game I guess but how the ACC schedules needs to be addressed.

Either you add one more full time member and have 3 pods of 5 teams

Or each team has 3 or 4 annual opponents and the rest are rotated through much more frequent.

Some suggestions involve a 9 game league schedule to make the math work.

The biggest hold up..is the P5 leagues can't agree to it. Delaney is being a to the ACC about allowing PODs

I agree, so what is the rotation of playing teams in the opposite division? I wouldn't be against one more conference game. Also , 850K to a MAC team that will show up very capable of beating us.

I agree, so what is the rotation of playing teams in the opposite division? I wouldn't be against one more conference game. Also , 850K to a MAC team that will show up very capable of beating us.

we play 1 of 6 opponents 1 time per 6 years plus pitt yearly