Syracuse Basketball Traditions | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Syracuse Basketball Traditions

After much discussion about our fans and the Final Four, it got me thinking about traditions Syracuse basketball has. For example with other schools, Kansas does Rock, Chalk Jayhawk (which is incredible), Penn St (We are...Penn St), etc. What should Syracuse start or continue doing? Or what should Syracuse stop doing?

-Personally, I like how the students yell "O!" during the national anthem. Same way Cornell yells "red" and Michigan yells "hail". At least it is something new.
-Syracuse should really try to do "Go Orange" like Penn St. does We Are...Penn St. As long as it isn't led by cheerleaders.

Bring back the song "Amen" song, which will played as soon as the game is clearly in hand. The challenge is to see how soon before the end of the game we can play that. If I remember correctly, the SSS played that song as the Siena game started the year after our 144-92 win. Classic smack.

Show the introductory signs to the entire audience. Right now they only show it to those behind the baskets; make it seem like only part of the dome is participating. And you don't need to run with the signs; just spin around so everyone in the stadium can see it.

A real coordinated wave behind the basket where one row waves in one direction while the row immediately in front or behind goes the other. My guess is this would only work on the student's side.

Dome Ranger 2.0 (since I would think the original has bad knees). This does not allow Dome Eddie to show up, however.

The cheerleaders do this twice a game. "Go" "Orange" and then they have the four signer, "Lets" "Go" "Syracuse" and both chants suck monkey ducks in the Dome.
Amen sister. If the cheerleaders, who by the way rarely leave the frickin ground, need to use a mic and coach us on what to cheer, you've already lost the battle. It's embarrassing.

Except it sucks when UConn does it, It sucks when the Jets do it, and it sucks when every other team does it so lets not.

It's loud. It's easy. You don't have to be able to carry a tune.

It's loud. It's easy. You don't have to be able to carry a tune.
and it's associated with the biggest joke of a franchise in professional sports. we've tried to do it before. it's a disaster.

and it's associated with the biggest joke of a franchise in professional sports. we've tried to do it before. it's a disaster.

I don't associate it with them.

I sat behind the Michigan student section. I do not believe that the cheers were initiated by the cheerleaders. The students were very well organized on their own.
When my son enrolled at USC, and we had orientation, we had an orientation luncheon. At the luncheon, there was about a half hour session with members of the marching band who played all of the fight songs, and if there were hand motions we learned them then, and did them at the luncheon. This stuff needs to start on day one with the students. It is not only about athletics, but about general school spirit and pride. Michigan students ALL knew the words to their fight song, and also sang it over and over loudly!!! Then ended it with one of their fight cheers. It was very impressive. I think the athletic department needs to work on this. This ties in to fundraising and everything. It all comes down to those memories of cheering, etc.
I was there in the Manley Zoo years, and I have lived with that spirit we had for years. I also did the "who cares" "so what" who's he...cheer, and still do it by myself quietly. It was a great cheer to rouse everyone up at the beginning of the game. I guess it is considered "not nice" to say that about other players. We were much tougher back then.

The opposing player intros met with:
who cares
big deal
so what
who's he
big sh-t
Started in Manley and was well organized until the admin. cracked down and tried to stop it after it was going on for like 20 years.
and one thing that makes zero sense with that chant is the students that do it only hold the placards toward the "end zone" behind the baskets showing them to just the one side, never turning so the majority of the dome can see it. It cracks me up how dumb they are not to make sense of this.

I know everyone wants to go forward in a positive manor, but I miss the hand waving behind the basket while going "ooooooooooooooooooooooooohhhhhh"
and if the opposing player made it followed by a "F**K you "

This is a great topic to be discussed seriously. At the championship game the ritualized cheers were shouted out with great lustiness by both Michigan and Louisville. They both knew their fight songs and sang them lustily. I didn't even know we had a fight song for years, and no one sings it. After the game the Louisville fans called out something like "C A R D S" and something else after it, and you could hear it echoing around the Dome. I felt envious of both teams. The tedious "Let's... go ... S ...U" chant led by the cheerleaders is death.

The insistence upon playing commercials is also death to enthusiasm. The time outs are too long, too plentiful and then when you want to cheer, they're advertising Aspen Dental in the Dome. If there's a really great play just before a TO, for instance, often many of the fans rise to their seats and start cheering and clapping. We're excited! But then the commercials start, and we then slowly sit down and the excitement wanes. I am getting ticked off writing this!

This is a great topic to be discussed seriously. At the championship game the ritualized cheers were shouted out with great lustiness by both Michigan and Louisville. They both knew their fight songs and sang them lustily. I didn't even know we had a fight song for years, and no one sings it. After the game the Louisville fans called out something like "C A R D S" and something else after it, and you could hear it echoing around the Dome. I felt envious of both teams. The tedious "Let's... go ... S ...U" chant led by the cheerleaders is death.

The insistence upon playing commercials is also death to enthusiasm. The time outs are too long, too plentiful and then when you want to cheer, they're advertising Aspen Dental in the Dome. If there's a really great play just before a TO, for instance, often many of the fans rise to their seats and start cheering and clapping. We're excited! But then the commercials start, and we then slowly sit down and the excitement wanes. I am getting ticked off writing this!
Some of us do...

Some of us do...
Hell yeah. It's a rule I have if you want to get season tickets and tailgate with us for football.

We also do the S-Y-R-A-C-U-S-E Go, go go...with arm motions after first downs.

You really expect people to sing "Down the Field"? you should probably write lyrics more appropriate to basketball.
I agree with your point that SU administration bassically kills any "fan" excitement- unless you count wating to see if you are called for ther Dunk & Bright promotion...

The opposing player intros met with:
who cares
big deal
so what
who's he
big sh-t
Started in Manley and was well organized until the admin. cracked down and tried to stop it after it was going on for like 20 years.
ahhh yes the old Manley cheer! loved it!

You really expect people to sing "Down the Field"? you should probably write lyrics more appropriate to basketball.
I agree with your point that SU administration bassically kills any "fan" excitement- unless you count wating to see if you are called for ther Dunk & Bright promotion...

I tried this, poorly, in another thread. Here's a starting point:

Down down the court goes old Syracuse
Just watch the guards break the press and go through
Down down the court they are zoning
Fighting for the Orange staunch and true

Rah rah rah

Victory's in sight for old Syracuse
Each loyal son knows we never more will lose
And we'll fight yes we'll fight with all our might
For the glory of old Syracuse

I'll catch some hell for this, but I think one of the reason you don't see many traditions stick is because of the vastness of the Dome and the distance most fans (especially the student section) are from the action, compared to other schools.

At Duke, Kansas, Michigan etc., fans are practically right on top of the court, as opposed to at the dome where most everyone is 10-20 feet from the end lines. It makes it hard for chants and things like that to really stick, in my opinion, because everyone is farther from the floor, and because the Dome is so big, it takes more effort to get the place loud.

At Duke, Kansas, Michigan, etc... most of the fans are either students / alumni / boosters.

At Syracuse, most of the fans are local residents who never attended SU and could care less about school traditions.

Honestly, if you lived in Central NY and you only attended 3-4 basketball games a year, would you even bother to learn the words to the fight song?

One side chants "Orange" the other side chants "Men"

Problem solved.

I prefer "SSSSSSSSSSSS" other side "UUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU". Easy, get's loud, and sounds a bit like " You" which would perfect for certain schools.

I tried this, poorly, in another thread. Here's a starting point:

Down down the court goes old Syracuse
Just watch the guards break the press and go through
Down down the court they are zoning
Fighting for the Orange staunch and true

Rah rah rah

Victory's in sight for old Syracuse
Each loyal son knows we never more will lose
And we'll fight yes we'll fight with all our might
For the glory of old Syracuse
Nice Job- can you work in "and georgtown still sucks" and ""?
That would be really good