Syracuse Boeheim era NCAA bracket wins (1ST ROUND)... | Syracusefan.com

Syracuse Boeheim era NCAA bracket wins (1ST ROUND)...

A Clockwork Orange

2022 Cali Winner (Overall Record)
I thought it might be fun to go back through history and try and pinpoint the best game Syracuse was involved in, in each and every round of the NCAA Tourney. There can be only one in each bracket -- but I will list honorable mentions.

1st Round
March 13, 1977

Syracuse - 93
Tennessee - 88

This was when the country was introduced to the Louie and Bouie show. And also introduced to Coach Boeheim. The show that was more well known in this game was the Bernie and Ernie show of the #7 ranked Tennessee Volunteers. Bernard King and Ernie Grunfeld were dynamic, but on this night it was little known and little heard of Larry Kelley who sparked the Orange. Kelley averaged 10 points a game in his senior year but scored 22 on 9-15 shooting. When the Louie and Bouie show was fouled out in overtime, it was Kelley who led the Orange to the dramatic victory.

Take aways: short shorts, no 3 pt line, 2 officials.
Orr did not start as a freshmen, he got the last scholarship that year. You see why JB doesn't mind skinny front court gyes. Bouie looks thinner than Chewie, Orr even more so that DM.

Forgot to add jump ball after tie ups and to begin the 2nd half.

Last edited:
I thought it might be fun to go back through history and try and pinpoint the best game Syracuse was involved in, in each and every round of the NCAA Tourney. There can be only one in each bracket -- but I will list honorable mentions.

1st Round
March 13, 1977

Syracuse - 93
Tennessee - 88

This was when the country was introduced to the Louie and Bouie show. And also introduced to Coach Boeheim. The show that was more well known in this game was the Bernie and Ernie show of the #7 ranked Tennessee Volunteers. Bernard King and Ernie Grunfeld were dynamic, but on this night it was little known and little heard of Larry Kelley who sparked the Orange. Kelley averaged 10 points a game in his senior year but scored 22 on 9-15 shooting. When the Louie and Bouie show was fouled out in overtime, it was Kelley who led the Orange to the dramatic victory.

First round 1995 against Southern Illinois was an incredible game. I think SU won 96-93. Could not shake the Salukis.

First round 1995 against Southern Illinois was an incredible game. I think SU won 96-93. Could not shake the Salukis.
Yes it was, and I should have included it in honorable mentions!

I'll give an honorable mention to the 2004 First round game vs. BYU simply for Gmac's stat line.
Another good one. I didn't include it simply because I remember at the time being irritated we needed GMac to go Superman in order to beat BYU!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom