Syracuse Community in North Carolina | Syracusefan.com

Syracuse Community in North Carolina

NC_Orange

Walk On
Hello everyone,

First time poster, but long time observer. I moved to North Carolina a couple years ago and am drowning in a sea of blue. I noticed that there is an abundance of Syracuse fans in attendance when we play Wake Forest here in Winston Salem but have not been able to locate a good viewing area with other Syracuse fans. My 9 year old son is getting corrupted by his friends in the area into liking the Tar Heels and I need to put a stop to this before it goes too far lol. My question is this: Does anyone here live in the Winston Salem area and if so where is a good spot if any to watch the game with other fans?

At least I've found that the UNC fans are tolerable. The Duke fans are not allowed in my house.

Cheers!

My older son is a prof at UNC-Asheville, a long way from Winston Salem. Even though he is now a Bulldog fan, he still has some Orange left in him. There are lots of UNC fans in western NC, but not many Duke fans.

I'm flying into Raleigh every week, working with the UNC hospitals on an engagement. I've encountered TONS of Syracuse fans down here. Most of which have moved down here from the upstate area. And I've developed a new found respect for the UNC fans - they're not bad at all. Plus we all have one thing in common - our hatred of Duke! But sorry this didn't really answer your question - although it further proves your theory that there must be a community that gathers to watch the Orange.

I've been in NC since 2004. First in Greensboro and now in Raleigh. There are definitely a lot of relocated Upstate New Yorkers and Syracuse Alumni in the area. Not sure in the Winston Salem area if there is a group that meets up. In Raleigh we used to have a pretty strong group. Probably had 200 + people show up to Backyard Bistro the first time we played Duke in the dome. The former organizer of the group got married and due to the time required relinquished control of the group. Since then it is a little fractured in the Triangle but last year there were small groups of Syracuse fans at several Triangle bars including Lynnwood Grill and Clouds Brewery.

Hello everyone,

First time poster, but long time observer. I moved to North Carolina a couple years ago and am drowning in a sea of blue. I noticed that there is an abundance of Syracuse fans in attendance when we play Wake Forest here in Winston Salem but have not been able to locate a good viewing area with other Syracuse fans. My 9 year old son is getting corrupted by his friends in the area into liking the Tar Heels and I need to put a stop to this before it goes too far lol. My question is this: Does anyone here live in the Winston Salem area and if so where is a good spot if any to watch the game with other fans?

At least I've found that the UNC fans are tolerable. The Duke fans are not allowed in my house.

Cheers!
Crusty, who mostly posts on the FB board, is somewhere in NC with Mrs Crusty my HS classmate. I haven't visited them yet for a game so can't say exactly where they are.

HOWEVER NC isn't THAT big a state that you can't make it to, say a NC State game maybe. Duke and NC tickets are rough but if the game is on a weekend maybe travel to the area and find the SU bar.

Also road trips to say, Clemson in SC where tickets should be easier to get, and maybe even FSU for b-ball. And Atlanta for Georgia Tech.

The move to the ACC benefits you and should keep your son wearing Orange. Especially if you talk about the NC scandal.

'Cuse fans are few and far between here in Wilmington. That said there is a big Buffalo Bills following though.

I've been to a WF, Duke, UNC, and NC State games v Orange. Had a blast at all of them.

Of course the Duke one was the best (well Cuse lost, but can't beat Cameron's basketball environment and JB tearing off his jacket.).

Crusty, who mostly posts on the FB board, is somewhere in NC with Mrs Crusty my HS classmate. I haven't visited them yet for a game so can't say exactly where they are.

HOWEVER NC isn't THAT big a state that you can't make it to, say a NC State game maybe. Duke and NC tickets are rough but if the game is on a weekend maybe travel to the area and find the SU bar.

Also road trips to say, Clemson in SC where tickets should be easier to get, and maybe even FSU for b-ball. And Atlanta for Georgia Tech.

The move to the ACC benefits you and should keep your son wearing Orange. Especially if you talk about the NC scandal.
The question is whether Mrs. Crusty is really comfortable with that moniker.

Need to make sure he's aware of this thread.

Crusty - you've been summoned!

'Cuse fans are few and far between here in Wilmington. That said there is a big Buffalo Bills following though.

I've been to a WF, Duke, UNC, and NC State games v Orange. Had a blast at all of them.

Of course the Duke one was the best (well Cuse lost, but can't beat Cameron's basketball environment and JB tearing off his jacket.).
Let's get something started here in Wilmington.

Word of advice

You just have to find a sports bar that will promise to give you a TV with sound.

Get the word out here and at NunesMagician.com

Contact the Charlotte and Triangle SU alumni reps and see if they can send out your announcement of a gamewatch.

Syracuse University Alumni Clubs

Dana (Charlotte) seems pretty responsive

Emily (Triangle) is TBD...she was overwhelmed with her own wedding this summer to help with Wake Forest...hoping she will be able to help more in the future.

We'll do a group buy for basketball at Wake Forest or NCSt in 17-18. Duke and UNC are not realistic to get group tix.

Yeah, I've been to Va Tech, Wake, Nc State and Ga Tech since I've lived here. Each time it was the same, a lot of orange in the building. I'm planning on heading to the Carolina game this year. On a different note for those that complain about the Dome being outdated, try seeing a game at Virginia Tech. What a crap hole!

Talking about the abundance of D1 schools in NC makes me wonder if it's a good or bad thing that we don't have any other D1 schools in the state except for Buffalo. And they've been woeful in most revenue sports.

Talking about the abundance of D1 schools in NC makes me wonder if it's a good or bad thing that we don't have any other D1 schools in the state except for Buffalo. And they've been woeful in most revenue sports.
Life is good as the only high major in NYS. We don't need Buffalo elevating...gotta keep the Bills in WNY.

Hey Andyw715...My wife and I just moved to Wilmington on Aug 1st. Are there any SU bars here? Looking to hook up with some other SU fans on game day (football and basketball).

I've been in NC since 2004. First in Greensboro and now in Raleigh. There are definitely a lot of relocated Upstate New Yorkers and Syracuse Alumni in the area. Not sure in the Winston Salem area if there is a group that meets up. In Raleigh we used to have a pretty strong group. Probably had 200 + people show up to Backyard Bistro the first time we played Duke in the dome. The former organizer of the group got married and due to the time required relinquished control of the group. Since then it is a little fractured in the Triangle but last year there were small groups of Syracuse fans at several Triangle bars including Lynnwood Grill and Clouds Brewery.

How is Clouds? Almost went there tonight but we weren't in the mood to try something new. Only just heard of it recently.

How is Clouds? Almost went there tonight but we weren't in the mood to try something new. Only just heard of it recently.

Clouds has good food and beer selection. I have not been there for a Cuse game yet. They started getting a group to show up last basketball season. It would be nice to have 20 or more fans showing up each game but we need someone who has the time to organize and plan things to take over and run the local group.

I've been in the Raleigh area since 1999. I've been to games at Duke, UNC, NCSU and Wake. Best game was beating Duke last year at Cameron. I was in the student section! I work at Duke and the tix are next to impossible to get. Every other venue is doable. You can easily scalp tix at UNC for a little over face... I've done it more than once. Tix are easy to get at NCSU and Wake.

There used to be a great upstate bar, Blincos... unfortunately it closed. There are a few others that I've gone to... in Cary, the Upper Deck is decent. I tend to stay home more as I've gotten older. The beer is cheaper and too many kid duties to tend to... sports, homework, etc.

Clouds has good food and beer selection. I have not been there for a Cuse game yet. They started getting a group to show up last basketball season. It would be nice to have 20 or more fans showing up each game but we need someone who has the time to organize and plan things to take over and run the local group.

Here at Cloud's right now. Great call. Food was good, beer was great, as was the service. About to try dessert.

As for another Syracuse bar in the area, Sawmill Tap Room in North Raleigh, Lead Mine Road, has a good Syracuse following. Went there randomly, had an Otto sticker above the bar and Saranac on tap. As it turns out, owners are from Syracuse. Have met a lot of Syracuse fans there. Have heard they get a good Orange crowd for basketball games.

Hey Andyw715...My wife and I just moved to Wilmington on Aug 1st. Are there any SU bars here? Looking to hook up with some other SU fans on game day (football and basketball).

Not really, but Capt'n Bills Backyard Bar and Volleyball is the Buffalo Bills hangout. There are usually a few dozen Bills fans there on Sunday afternoon. We could probably take over a TV or 2 for some Cuse ball games :)
It'll be tough competition with the UNC/Duke/NCState crowds though.

Hello everyone,

Cheers!
I lived in kernersville a while back and not a ton of cuse fans in area but some. I live in Cary area now so many more cuse fans. Tar Heel fans are much worse than Duke fans and it's not even close.

Born and raised in Cuse but now i'm in Raleigh. There's an alarmingly large amount of Orange fans in the area. As already stated, Sawmill is owned by Cuse people and they get some fans for games. If there is a legit meet up spot for games this season I will 100% attend when I can. Haven't been to cloud brewery for a game but that sounds legit. Anyone in the Triangle is welcome to message me and we can try and figure something out for this season. Always interested in meeting likeminded Cuse fans in the area.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cuse702

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom