Syracuse Dunk tape: DC, Stevie, Billy, etc. | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Syracuse Dunk tape: DC, Stevie, Billy, etc.

Competition was so tough back then. The NBA didn't draft on potential. They drafted on whether you'd proven you could play.

I really hate this idea today that players get drafted based on their "potential". Once a good player get's drafted how much can they improve their game if they are getting NO playing time. At least by staying in college as long as they can the player that is capable of being drafted in the NBA is getting lots of playing time to realize their potential. I think too many players leave early then go nowhere because they have no playing time to improve their skills.

There will never be another point guard in this program like The General, Sherman Douglas.

What a talent.
I think you are right RF, but I also think it will be an awesome comparison if Ennis stays for at least another two years.

I really hate this idea today that players get drafted based on their "potential". Once a good player get's drafted how much can they improve their game if they are getting NO playing time. At least by staying in college as long as they can the player that is capable of being drafted in the NBA is getting lots of playing time to realize their potential. I think too many players leave early then go nowhere because they have no playing time to improve their skills.
It happens less now with the one-and-done rule (I prefer a two year rule). The number of highschool kids that got drafted only to never be heard from again was wrong. Now NBA execs can at least see what these kids do against other high level college kids on real teams with real coaches, and make more informed decisions. It's better for the kids that overestimated their talent, and it's better for the NBA game.

Last edited:
Derrick had 19 boards in the title game as a frosh - the closest that set of players came to winning a NC. We won our ring with CA as a frosh. The team who I won't name won a ring recently riding the backs of frosh.

All this to say everything's balanced out: sing along with us, dee dee di di dee...
It has balanced out, but I think on a lower level. You see a lot of individual talent for a year or two now, before to leave, but back then you saw better teams, since guys stayed together for so long and learned how to play together.

This was featured in Brent Axe's column today. Still hard to believe after all these years that those guys never won the NC.

I remember watching most of those dunks live. I've been watching SU BB for too long! Bleeding Orange is some kind of disease.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KD95

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom