Syracuse football bowl history: How Orange has fared in postseason | Syracusefan.com

Syracuse football bowl history: How Orange has fared in postseason

I can remember everything about every bowl game starting with the '79 Independence bowl - except the '96 Liberty Bowl (win over Houston).

I have literally no memory of that bowl.
1543591585076.gif

I can remember everything about every bowl game starting with the '79 Independence bowl - except the '96 Liberty Bowl (win over Houston).

I have literally no memory of that bowl. View attachment 145912
I remember the 79 Independence, but more so just reading the bowl bids and results.

Was it on TV in the Albany area? Anyone know??

The 96 Liberty Bowl was just “blah” after having a chance at the Orange Bowl if we beat Miami.

We ran the ball, and we ran the ball, and we ran the ball some more. And then more.

I think Deleone was as depressed as the fanbase after we ran out of time against Miami and ended up there.

We ran the ball, and we ran the ball, and we ran the ball some more. And then more.

I think Deleone was as depressed as the fanbase after we ran out of time against Miami and ended up there.
I seem to remember it was a mid afternoon game during the week also. Could be why it wasn't very memorable also.

malcolm thomas had a big game.

Houston has Antwone Smith from the Bills/Pats

“...before backup quarterback RJ Anderson sealed the victory on a 52-yard scoring strike to Johnnie
Morant.”

Anderson wasn’t the backup after the UCF game that year.

“...before backup quarterback RJ Anderson sealed the victory on a 52-yard scoring strike to Johnnie
Morant.”

Anderson wasn’t the backup after the UCF game that year.

Robin

The biggest blowout for us I remember was the 1996 Gator Bowl. The game was held Jan.1 in Jacksonville FL., at Municipal Stadium. For the regular season we were 9-3, 5-2 in the Big East and ranked 16 in the coaches poll, 19 AP. They were 8-4, 6-2 ACC and ranked 23.
Clemson looked as if they either hadn't practiced at all for their bowl game with us or we were lightly regarded and going to be a pushover for them. I remember watching the game thinking how could a team be good enough to go to a bowl game and be so lousy. We ran and and passed over them. McNabb had a great game throwing for over 300 YDS. It was Harrison's last game and scored on a 56 YD TD pass form McNabb. Obviously our defense was great holding them scoreless. It was great watching us beat up on them.

The crime in this is that SU has stunk during the last 15 years, when virtually everyone gets a bowl game. If SU was as good in that span as we were in the 90s, we could add 15 more bowl games to that article.

Malcolm Thomas.

Could it be that that game wasn't televised? Doesn't seem likely, but I also have no memory at all of the game.

I know it was kind of a downer in that a) it was a Christmas week game (maybe the 27th or 28th?) in an era when there weren't so many pre-NYE bowls, and b) it was a big kick in the nuts that we played like crap for a half against Miami and gave away our shot at a good bowl bid.

Malcolm Thomas.

Could it be that that game wasn't televised? Doesn't seem likely, but I also have no memory at all of the game.

I know it was kind of a downer in that a) it was a Christmas week game (maybe the 27th or 28th?) in an era when there weren't so many pre-NYE bowls, and b) it was a big kick in the nuts that we played like crap for a half against Miami and gave away our shot at a good bowl bid.

I had a blast on Beale St that week for the bowl. I don’t have a memory of the game either. I turned 21 a week later and then went to London for the semester. Probably the most fun/zero obligation period of my life

The crime in this is that SU has stunk during the last 15 years, when virtually everyone gets a bowl game. If SU was as good in that span as we were in the 90s, we could add 15 more bowl games to that article.

If we were just average for the last 15 years we could have added that many. lol

I was 8 for the '79 Independence Bowl. My memory was everyone expected Cuse to go the Tangerine Bowl, which is what I think is actually now the Camping World Bowl. I think Cuse lost to BC and expected to go NOWHERE. My only memory of Cuse football to that point in life was going to the last game at Archbold, seeing Syracuse play Ohio St on an old black and white TV in my grandparents house. I want to say a local TV station picked up the game (Channel 3?) and Syracuse really out classed McNeese St. I believe Joe Morris had a day. It was 6 more years until the Cherry Bowl. My early football fandom youth year were really full of disappointment.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DTCSEC

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom