Syracuse Football = minor league | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Syracuse Football = minor league

I usually don't post on these things but all this whining about uni's drives me nuts. I wish the event looked better but it is what it is. Hopefully they learn from this. Hell if you hated it that much write an email to them explaining how it could have been better ( I agree it could have been).

The uni's are a breath of fresh air. There are people that like tradition! I get it. I like the McNabb era jerseys but let's be realistic if the kids that are playing the game are excited by something else I can live with it. I'm not saying it lands us recruits but if it creates some hype then it is fine by me. By the way for the traditionalists if gives us a chance to have some throwback jersey games. The new ones are versatile which I love. I don't get the infatuation with the platinum by Nike but here is the deal. The ONLY thing I truly care about is winning games not what style or color uni's we wear. There are always going to be people that love/hate it but if it gets us closer to winning more games by creating hype then I'm for it. It can always change.

I thought it was a job well done all around. How was it a failure? It got people talking, and excited. Hell there is close to a 6oo page thread on here, as well as Twitter being all Syracuse Football for 3 straight hours. Perfectly done imo. Only failure was not having it streaming online, which is amazing in it's own right since we are best known for our communications school.

Seriously? Myself and some friends could have thrown together a more appealing presentation. Throw in a well produced hype video, get some former players, hell even a smoke machine. If your going to do it...do it big! Other wise it just looks half-assed.
Have Shafer roll in on a tank...

I don't like the uniforms, but that isn't the thing that frosted my butt. The "major announcement" did it. Major... really? All hype and no substance. Expected better.

I feel like the timing was poor too. Last saturday at the carousel would have been much better - more people. Who's at the mall at 245 on a wednesday? Saturday would have had more flow and they coulda promoted the spring game too at the time. I'm okay with the units, other than the numerals. I prefer a more standard. That 44 jersey looks awful, 25 looks better.

I like the new uniforms. I would like an all orange one added. Then they can mix and match all the colors.

As far as the announcement goes. Baby steps is what I call it at this point. It is trending in the right direction but we are not there yet.

It's light years away from "get a life" and "only horse in town" mentality that existed up the hill for far too long.

SU really can't win. If they do nothing people complain they aren't hyping the program. The stage decorations were silly but taking this announcement off campus and into the public is a good thing.

Love the uniforms. Looking forward to the blue/silver combo that will cause some eye vessels to burst in anger.

absolutely agree with everything you just said.

i dont know how anyone could be so mad at today... my biggest takeaway from today is how i want shafer to coach this team until he dies.

Last edited:
At this point I will mute any criticism of the uniforms. I love the old uniforms, but I can live with the new uniforms. I look forward to seeing the orange jerseys and the orange pants previously mentioned. Things change and I guess is a Guy in his 50's I need to change too.

SU really can't win. If they do nothing people complain they aren't hyping the program. The stage decorations were silly but taking this announcement off campus and into the public is a good thing.

Love the uniforms. Looking forward to the blue/silver combo that will cause some eye vessels to burst in anger.

Nailed it. And judging from twitter, the current players/recruits love them. Much more important than what a bunch of Syracuse football internet fan boys think. Personal taste, I like em. Some others don't.

But the bottom line is today was a good day for Syracuse football. Anytime we get A Shafer presser is a good day for Syracuse football. Get this man out there this summer talking to the community. He can build a buzz about the season by himself.

Nailed it. And judging from twitter, the current players/recruits love them. Much more important than what a bunch of Syracuse football internet fan boys think. Personal taste, I like em. Some others don't.

But the bottom line is today was a good day for Syracuse football. Anytime we get A Shafer presser is a good day for Syracuse football. Get this man out there this summer talking to the community. He can build a buzz about the season by himself.

and we, as the "internet fan boys" who spend the money for the football team should be embracing Shafer. And instead of criticizing everything they do to try to garner some buzz... embrace it. Do just a bit to help grow it. Spread the excitement instead of the negativity.

Shafer is doing the damn thing. Let him do it. Help him do it.

and we, as the "internet fan boys" who spend the money for the football team should be embracing Shafer. And instead of criticizing everything they do to try to garner some buzz... embrace it. Do just a bit to help grow it. Spread the excitement instead of the negativity.

Shafer is doing the damn thing. Let him do it. Help him do it.

Amen. He has a really, really hard job, not just coaching his football team, but trying to galvanize the Syracuse football fanbase. In many communities, today would have been a celebration of the football team and would serve to build excitement about the upcoming season.

We have freakin LSU coming to the Dome next year. Our head coach is buying tickets for people to the opener and instead, the biggest story Of the day are that 50 yr old syracuse fans aren't keen on the new unis. Some actually mentioning giving up season tickets because it doesn't remind them on 1987. Pathetic, really.

Amen. He has a really, really hard job, not just coaching his football team, but trying to galvanize the Syracuse football fanbase. In many communities, today would have been a celebration of the football team and would serve to build excitement about the upcoming season.

We have freakin LSU coming to the Dome next year. Our head coach is buying tickets for people to the opener and instead, the biggest story Of the day are that 50 yr old syracuse fans aren't keen on the new unis. Some actually mentioning giving up season tickets because it doesn't remind them on 1987. Pathetic, really.
I agree with this, and I'm a 50 year old fan. I just don't get the giant problem that some people have with the uni's. If the players and recruits like them isn't that something that should be embraced? We want people to want to come here and bitching about the colors of the uniforms doesn't offer a friendly environment.

Based on the talk on twitter and other forms of social media, the announcement was actually major. When was the last time Syracuse football got this much coverage? Shafer's ATL comments made a minor splash but this has definitely gotten more talk. I'm happy that they could couple this with the announcement of an elite college football program coming to the dome. Great day for Cuse football.
Exactly! When else to we get this kind of pub? This can only help our program going forward.

I usually don't post on these things but all this whining about uni's drives me nuts. I wish the event looked better but it is what it is. Hopefully they learn from this. Hell if you hated it that much write an email to them explaining how it could have been better ( I agree it could have been).

The uni's are a breath of fresh air. There are people that like tradition! I get it. I like the McNabb era jerseys but let's be realistic if the kids that are playing the game are excited by something else I can live with it. I'm not saying it lands us recruits but if it creates some hype then it is fine by me. By the way for the traditionalists if gives us a chance to have some throwback jersey games. The new ones are versatile which I love. I don't get the infatuation with the platinum by Nike but here is the deal. The ONLY thing I truly care about is winning games not what style or color uni's we wear. There are always going to be people that love/hate it but if it gets us closer to winning more games by creating hype then I'm for it. It can always change.

Just looked at the whole thing I wrote. 2 things. I type like igor My phone auto corrects at some odd times

They didnt stream it live but there is a youtube link on cuse.com. gonna give the naysayers the benefit of doubt here and assume this thread was created prior to the dissemination of the video

Seriously, everything about that "Major Announcement" was bush league.

The stage, the 5 yr old birthday party balloons, the fact it wasn't live streamed, and oh god, the uniforms. At this point Nike is just dicking around with us.

The uniforms were not ... that ... bad, but the presentation was farcical. Not sure what farcical means, but that's what it was.

"This heartfelt historic moment is brought to you by the Legend Floyd Little and our proud partners Destiny USA".

Poor Charlie Loeb. Park was a little "too into" him twirling around.

The "I'm just a gym coach" comment was hilarious though.

Of the 40 posts in this thread, 25 are about how negative the fanbase is. Strange how we always choose to divert a topic, any topic, back to the same old topic. You like? Like. You don't like? Move on.

I don't like the uniforms, but that isn't the thing that frosted my butt. The "major announcement" did it. Major... really? All hype and no substance. Expected better.

Just curious... what would the definition of a "major announcement" entail for the football team? It's not like they're working on world peace or curing cancer...

Just curious... what would the definition of a "major announcement" entail for the football team? It's not like they're working on world peace or curing cancer...

My example of a football major announcement: The IPF is FINALLY getting built. Certainly your right to disagree with that, and it certainly is my right to think the new uniform dog-and-pony show did not qualify as a major announcement. There is a big difference, IMHO. I can think of a few others if you think it would help you grasp the concept.

My example of a football major announcement: The IPF is FINALLY getting built. Certainly your right to disagree with that, and it certainly is my right to think the new uniform dog-and-pony show did not qualify as a major announcement. There is a big difference, IMHO. I can think of a few others if you think it would help you grasp the concept.

Playing LSU at home is a big deal IMO. I'm not sure if it is a major announcement or not, but fans should be pretty psyched about it.