Syracuse football question: How will you define success for the Orange in 2014? (PS) | Syracusefan.com

Syracuse football question: How will you define success for the Orange in 2014? (PS)

8+ wins including a bowl game... There's a lot of individual and team statistics that I think will factor into and constitute success/improvement, but wins are the name of the game.

Just want another bowl game to consider it successful.

Really successful would be comfortably making a bowl with a dangerous offense.

Agreed. Qualitatively, it would be great to get to 8 wins, but realistically this team needs to get to 7 and back to a bowl to sustain momentum and so that the coaching staff can pitch sustained success on the recruiting trail.

If the offense takes the next step, as you point out, then 8 or 9 wins could happen. I honestly believe that.

8+ wins and a better bowl. Yes, I would actually be a bit disappointed if SU went to some crappy bowl just to say they went to a bowl.

8+ wins and a better bowl. Yes, I would actually be a bit disappointed if SU went to some crappy bowl just to say they went to a bowl.
I can totally get why for us, as people that follow it, a crappy bowl would be a disappointment.

Perception wise though, even crappy bowls help. It's cool now to say that we've been to bowls three of the last four years. It'll be even better next year to say we've been to bowls four out of the last five years. That's the kind of thing that gets how other fans/the media think more positively about a program.

If we can go to bowls four years running that's particularly good, because then you can talk about how an entire recruiting class made a bowl every year they were on campus.

I can totally get why for us, as people that follow it, a crappy bowl would be a disappointment.

Perception wise though, even crappy bowls help. It's cool now to say that we've been to bowls three of the last four years. It'll be even better next year to say we've been to bowls four out of the last five years. That's the kind of thing that gets how other fans/the media think more positively about a program.

If we can go to bowls four years running that's particularly good, because then you can talk about how an entire recruiting class made a bowl every year they were on campus.

I agree but going to the Pinstripe Bowl, for example, to me would be a lateral move for this season, not a move up. In the grand scheme of things I agree that 3 straight bowls is a step forward for the overall perception of the program.

should be 3 bowls in 5 years not 3 in 4 years 2 in 4 years for HCDM 1 in 1 year for HCSS

should be 3 bowls in 5 years not 3 in 4 years 2 in 4 years for HCDM 1 in 1 year for HCSS
No, see, you start the count when it makes you look good. You just dump Marrone's first year.

2009 - dump
2010 - Pinstripe
2011 - bupkus
2012 - Pinstripe
2013 - Texas

So, 3 in 4 years.

Success, or clear progress? A bowl appearance is a successful season. Winning more games than last year is clear progress.

No, see, you start the count when it makes you look good. You just dump Marrone's first year.

2009 - dump
2010 - Pinstripe
2011 - bupkus
2012 - Pinstripe
2013 - Texas

So, 3 in 4 years.

This is exactly what Rutgers does when they claim how often they beat us. If used to be, "Oh Rutgers is X-X vs Syracuse in the 2000's. Schiano stomped GROB. Then HCDM got a win, then RU moved the timeline up, then we got two wins, so they moved it up further, to whatever selective dates they are choosing these days.

2009 - dump
2010 - Pinstripe
2011 - bupkus
2012 - Pinstripe
2013 - Texas

So, 3 in 4 years.
o ok i see what your saying now..

I'd rather win 8 in the regular season and lose in a more prestigious bowl game than win 7 in the regular season and beat someone in a mediocre bowl game.

Am I off base on this thought?

Completely Agree. We need to take a next step. Haven't won 8 regular season games since 2001? It's time. Go to a very solid bowl game like the Champ Sports (or whatever it is). If we lose, that's fine as long as we play a good team.

Other goals:
- don't get blown out by more than 21 by anybody including FSU.
- finish 3rd in our division. Wether we beat UofL or Clemson.
- look way more dangerous on offense. Run game is solid, need pass game to come alive.
- Hunt to have a good year, to lead to a potentially special year as a senior.

I think it's 8 wins with 1 being the bowl game.

Other things to be mark as moving in the right direction:

- big improvements on O, THunt/WR, and play calling

- freshman rising up like Estime

OrangeBlood said:
Completely Agree. We need to take a next step. Haven't won 8 regular season games since 2001? It's time. Go to a very solid bowl game like the Champ Sports (or whatever it is). If we lose, that's fine as long as we play a good team. Other goals: - don't get blown out by more than 21 by anybody including FSU. - finish 3rd in our division. Wether we beat UofL or Clemson. - look way more dangerous on offense. Run game is solid, need pass game to come alive. - Hunt to have a good year, to lead to a potentially special year as a senior.
8 plus wins...but we need a marquee victory. One of the big 4 scalps.

Since the question is: "how would you define success for the Orange in 2014;" do those of you posting 8+ wins as the criteria for success honestly think that anything less than that is failure, or not success? If so, get to Vegas or a sports book as fast as possible because the O/U on wins for the season is 5.5

I agree with Otto and RF2044 on this one.

Success = Bowl Game...any bowl game.

I want to win another bowl game, preferably against another Power 5 conference team.

8+ regular season wins then a good bowl game, win or lose.

Surprised so many SU fans year after year define success as 6 wins and any bowl game.

9-4.

6-6 = MEH season, not horrendous, just MEH. I want to see progress!!!

Lets go to the Belk Bowl!

NO Pinstripe Bowl!!!!!

AND we WIN bowl games! We are 15-9-1 overall and have won the last three beating K State, West Virginia and Minnesota.

8 wins including bowl game and not being uncompetitive against the best on the schedule