Syracuse football question: How will you define success for the Orange in 2014? (PS) | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Syracuse football question: How will you define success for the Orange in 2014? (PS)

I think success is winning 8 games including a bowl win to finish 9-4. Here is why.
  1. We have a lot of players returning that have experience, including starters.
  2. We also have some of the most exciting freshman in a long time - some will contribute.
  3. We also have a decent schedule to start the season, which we have all been clamoring for lo these many years.
  4. Hunt is a leader and I think he will shine this year.
  5. Improvement will probably continue where it left off last season.
  6. Krautman is healthy. If we had him healthy last year we would have beaten Pitt and maybe PSU.
At some point we have to raise expectations and not be surprised by success. While I continue to agree with many on the board that 2015 is the breakout season, I see no reason why we cannot exceed expectations this year. Stay healthy and a couple of breaks here and there...

Go Orange!

8+ regular season wins then a good bowl game, win or lose.

Surprised so many SU fans year after year define success as 6 wins and any bowl game.
Well... at least for me the year after year ends in 2015.

That's the year I'm counting on to be a sweet 9 or 10 win, Top 25 kind of year. For now though success is maintaining the improvement from the last two seasons.

Surprised so many SU fans year after year define success as 6 wins and any bowl game.
Success can be defined as meeting the minimum standard, which is 6 and a bowl win.

That said, the GOAL should be 8 and a bowl win for 9.

I'll probably kill them on here for not doing that, but realistically I don't see it.

I'd take beating 1 of the big 4, a What loss and a normal L to say Pitt for a 7 + bowl win season and be happy.

I also don't believe in the QB so...

i dont see 6 or 7 regular season wins as "success". That is mediocre. That was a "goal" for a 2 to 3 win team. We are beyond that now, its time to take the next step. The next step is 8 win regular season, and a marquee bowl (Music City, Belk, Sun)

success is not going backwards. 6 wins continues the momentum to a bowl game but over .500 is what you need.

7+ regular season wins which include kicking Notre Dame's ass.

Success can be defined as meeting the minimum standard, which is 6 and a bowl win.

That said, the GOAL should be 8 and a bowl win for 9.

I'll probably kill them on here for not doing that, but realistically I don't see it.

I'd take beating 1 of the big 4, a What loss and a normal L to say Pitt for a 7 + bowl win season and be happy.

I also don't believe in the QB so...

Did you believe in Nassib after his sophomore year?

I want 8 but really think we can get 9. Win two out of three against L'Ville/ND/Pitt, throw in FSU and Clemson as losses then I want to win the rest.

rrlbees said:
Long term nobody will be satisfied with six wins, but progress is slow and steady. Realistically, this year's schedule has three nearly automatic losses (Notre Dame, Florida State, & Clemson) and two nearly automatic wins (Villanova & Central Michigan). 4 - 3 against Maryland and the rest of the ACC is reasonable to me.

donniesyracuse said:
Long term nobody will be satisfied with six wins, but progress is slow and steady. Realistically, this year's schedule has three nearly automatic losses (Notre Dame, Florida State, & Clemson) and two nearly automatic wins (Villanova & Central Michigan). 4 - 3 against Maryland and the rest of the ACC is reasonable to me.

Whoa now. ND is not even close to an auto loss. FSU and Clemson the road are the two really tough games.

Under no circumstances is ND an auto loss. Rutgers hung around with them in their bowl game. FSU and Clemson, yes auto losses. ND isnt a toss up by any means, but cmon, its not an auto loss.

Of course nothing is automatic. It was a poor choice of words, but I would confidently pencil it in as a loss. Notre Dame will be significant favorites (at least two touchdowns I suspect). I also believe Notre Dame will be better this year. It's not an automatic loss, but it is not a game where one can objectively and reasonably predict a win.

Last edited:
Of course nothing is automatic. It was a poor choice of words, but I would confidently pencil it in as a loss. Notre Dame will be significant favorites (at least two touchdowns I suspect). I also believe Notre Dame will be better this year. It's not an automatic loss, but it is not a game where one can objectively and reasonably predict a win.
We're going to kick their golden dome butts.

Did you believe in Nassib after his sophomore year?.
more than tuckit and run hunt.

both are as accurate as a whiffle ball on the beach, but i thought nassib had a little more potential.

hope im wrong

both are as accurate as a whiffle ball on the beach, but i thought nassib had a little more potential.

hope im wrong

Arguably, we had some of the worst receivers in the ACC, a ridiculous play book and a soph QB who did not even have the advantage of a full pre-season taking all the reps.

The jury may be still out on his passing game but the verdict certainly is in on his leadership - Hunt is a winner.
Keep the faith - Go Orange!

KaiserUEO said:
more than tuckit and run hunt. both are as accurate as a whiffle ball on the beach, but i thought nassib had a little more potential. hope im wrong

You will be. If he becomes the passer Nassib was with his running ability - we'll be golden. Esp next year.

TheCusian said:
If he becomes the passer Nassib was with his running ability - we'll be golden.
That is a big "if."

donniesyracuse said:
That is a big "if."

Maybe. We'll see.

I think he'll be a top 4 ACC QB by the end of the season.

Arguably, we had some of the worst receivers in the ACC, a ridiculous play book and a soph QB who did not even have the advantage of a full pre-season taking all the reps.

The jury may be still out on his passing game but the verdict certainly is in on his leadership - Hunt is a winner.
Keep the faith - Go Orange!
what was ridiculous about the playbook??

did hunt not understand it?

was it too tough for him??

i think he had it down pat...1 mississippi look downfield...2 mississippi panic...3 mississippi tuck it and run (granted often for a 1st down)

or was not the play??

what was ridiculous about the playbook??

did hunt not understand it?

was it too tough for him??

i think he had it down pat...1 mississippi look downfield...2 mississippi panic...3 mississippi tuck it and run (granted often for a 1st down)

or was not the play??
At the beginning of the season it had too many plays and took long to get plays in. As the season wore on they simplified it. The QB isn't the only player that has to understand the playbook.

hope im wrong

Did you even watch the last three games of the year?

Hunt completed 66% of his passes, averaged 265 yards total offense and accounted for six touchdowns and only one interception. Against 3 bowl teams I might add.

Nassib also faced 3 bowl teams to finish out his sophomore year. He completed 59% of his passes, averaged 183 yards total offense and had three touchdowns and two interceptions.

Not to mention Nassib was given the keys to the car in training camp while Hunt was forced to split time with Drew Allen. And Nassib had the luxury of playing in 9 games as a redshirt freshman to Hunt's goose egg.

Why anyone would not be excited to see what Hunt can do this year with more experience, a deeper WR corps, a better understanding of an offense that will be in its second year and an experienced offensive line is beyond me.

Maybe this is a semantics issue for some...

The issue is what would be a "successful" season, not necessarily how many games you "expect" to win or have as a "goal."

For those setting the bar for "success'" at 8+ wins, it means that anything less than 8 wins is not successful (or failure). That does not seem reasonable to me.

Those that evaluate this kind of stuff for a living have set the O/U at 5.5.

Maybe this is a semantics issue for some...

The issue is what would be a "successful" season, not necessarily how many games you "expect" to win or have as a "goal."

For those setting the bar for "success'" at 8+ wins, it means that anything less than 8 wins is not successful (or failure). That does not seem reasonable to me.

Those that evaluate this kind of stuff for a living have set the O/U at 5.5.

Success to me means improvement and moving forward. If we win only 6 games and are competitive against FSU and Clemson, some may view that as success. I don't happen to be one of those people. It would still mean that we lost 4 other games as well. Will it be tough? Yes. Do I expect them to win 8? Actually, I'm not sure. Would I be happy with a 6-6 record and a return to the Pinstripe Bowl? No.